Weakley County CWD Positive.

X-Tennessean

So I guess it was just a matter of time after being put in "High Risk". TWRA stated no changes other than what was already in place from being high risk. Article said the positive came from area between Dresden and the Henry County line which was expected IMO.

What do we have to look forward to for next year from you guys that have been confirmed and season/bag limits have changed?

Also for the ones who have killed a positive, did you think or have an indication that your harvest was positive or did they look like a healthy deer.

Remington700

Not much changed except you get to take your rifle in muzzleloader. Also, if you kill a positive buck you get another buck.
We have had one test positive and it looked normal.

fairchaser

All three deer this year and two last season were all positive. Nothing appeared unusual. The biggest difference is having to deal with a carcass you may or may not decide to eat.

JCDEERMAN

All three deer this year and two last season were all positive. Nothing appeared unusual. The biggest difference is having to deal with a carcass you may or may not decide to eat.
I haven't read any regs on this as I'm not in a CDW county. But being a private land owner, can we "high-fence off" a 15 yard by 15 yard area for disposal of carcasses/guts/bones/graveyard? Just thinking out loud.

backyardtndeer

I haven't read any regs on this as I'm not in a CDW county. But being a private land owner, can we "high-fence off" a 15 yard by 15 yard area for disposal of carcasses/guts/bones/graveyard? Just thinking out loud.
Honestly don't think that fencing off a disposal area would do any good, unless you bury them deep enough that they don't get unearthed. Even then of deer are positive, then it is likely already being spread where those deer were.

Mb423

The bonus buck tags are not a good thing in my opinion. Two is plenty.
I think the bonus tag is a great idea, there are more pros than cons for bonus tags being provided in a CWD unit.

The best way to curve the spread is the dwindle down the population unfortunately. Also, a bonus tag hangs the carrot for hunters to try to get out there and kill more deer if they get a bonus tag.

Alot of people like myself hunt to fill the freezer, not for a rack to hang on the wall. If I were to kill a CWD positive deer, that is a wasted deer because I am not willing to feed that to my family with the lack of current studies on transfer to humans.

Bonus tags = lowering CWD population/spread and more consumable food

chris1976

I think the bonus tag is a great idea, there are more pros than cons for bonus tags being provided in a CWD unit.

The best way to curve the spread is the dwindle down the population unfortunately. Also, a bonus tag hangs the carrot for hunters to try to get out there and kill more deer if they get a bonus tag.

Alot of people like myself hunt to fill the freezer, not for a rack to hang on the wall. If I were to kill a CWD positive deer, that is a wasted deer because I am not willing to feed that to my family with the lack of current studies on transfer to humans.

How many do we kill? 50% of the herd? 75%? All of them? And if we don't kill all of them then how will we ever let the herd rebound without killing them all again? Maybe we should ask Wisconsin if this is the correct course of action. I think they abandoned mass extermination years ago. I think human arrogance is worse than CWD.

fairchaser

I don't know the regs if any. Ames has dug a 15 foot deep hole for disposal. I'm not sure any of the prevention measures does much to slow the spread. Ames is running at 50% positive this year so far which is slightly higher than last year.

SEC

Bonus tags = lowering CWD population/spread and more consumable

It's all fun and games till so much pressure is put on em that you basically quit seeing them. Almost no young 8pts on 9 cameras this year due to last years barrage. And cwd is not to blame because out of 1,000s tested in my county only 6-8 were positive. Name me another decent hunting state with basically unlimited buck tags. Don't worry I'll wait.

Mb423

How many do we kill? 50% of the herd? 75%? All of them? And if we don't kill all of them then how will we ever let the herd rebound without killing them all again? Maybe we should ask Wisconsin if this is the correct course of action. I think they abandoned mass extermination years ago. I think human arrogance is worse than CWD

If I or you had the golden answer, CWD wouldn't have made it to tennessee would it?

I'm not saying the arrogant administration in Norway did the right thing, but there are always options.

Mb423

CWD was 1st discovered in Colorado in the 1960s if I'm not mistaken. Is Colorado still a destination state for Whitetails, Mule deer and Elk? I think so.
You are comparing apples to Oranges. Colorado whitetail population is half of Tennessee's. Different climate, genes, diet, etc. So they are clearly not the same deer.

Colorado has the largest Elk heard and easy to get OTC tags for non residents.

I don't see where you are drawing the conclusion of my statement more tags the better with Colorado being a better state for big game animals. Some hunters hunt for big deer, others hunt to feed their family. Regardless CWD is now something we all have to deal with as TN hunters and with no golden pill, it sucks for all of us.

SEC

You are comparing apples to Oranges. Colorado whitetail population is half of Tennessee's. Different climate, genes, diet, etc. So they are clearly not the same deer.

I don't see where you are drawing the conclusion of my statement more tags the better with Colorado being a better state for big game animals. Some hunters hunt for big deer, others hunt to feed their family. Regardless CWD is now something we all have to deal with as TN hunters and with no golden pill, it sucks for all of us.
A couple scrub bucks and 3-4 does will feed most any family. Two buck tags is perfect. Explain exactly what your gonna do with all those spike and 4pt racks? Make toilet paper holders?

timberjack86

Apples to apples, cwd is still cwd regardless what state. The sky isn't falling. Test your deer if that makes you feel better about eating it and move on. We knew it was coming sooner or later.

tnanh

P

the current cure is probably worse than the disease. Tennessee should have sense enough to take advantage of the money other states have spent and heed their advice from the mistakes already made. Its here. It cant be stopped. Killing as many as possible wont help. It may make it worse. Transportation rules probably help.

Latest posts