Warm Weather Hunting

Bone Collector

If you read my novel I wrote about killing the two I killed, I mentioned seeing a really nice buck on public. That was on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I think it was mid 50s that afternoon.

Not as warm as they are calling for, but much warmer than it had been. I know I wasn't cold sitting there. He was up and moving. I can also tell you in the mornings (my observations) deer have started moving around 8:30-9:30. I may see an occasional passer by in the first hour, but with the frost they have been waiting until the sun comes up before they move.

catman529

It got up into the mid 70s the day I killed the mature 8 this year. It was almost noon when I shot him cruising for does. Don't worry about how hot or cold it is. If it's hot, I prefer to hunt in the shade. If it's really cold, I like to sit over the CRP fields in the morning. Deer are still gonna get up and move at some point, they gotta eat. And this time of year they gotta breed too.

BSK

When looking at the statistical trends in hunter observations, buck sightings decline the warmer it is. However, the degree by degree individual stats are all over the place. Hunters may have a great buck sighting day in warm weather and a terrible day in cold weather. The trend is only over the long haul.

catman529

Field edges/fields or woods on warm days?
Woods, near bedding. I have killed deer on warm days in fields, but it's not usually my first choice. This is speaking of november/December of course when it's supposed to be cold. Early season they're in fields all the time in 95 degree weather.

UTGrad

Woods, near bedding. I have killed deer on warm days in fields, but it's not usually my first choice. This is speaking of november/December of course when it's supposed to be cold. Early season they're in fields all the time in 95 degree weather.

Yes sir thank you that is what I meant unseasonably warm temps.

megalomaniac

The weather is not the problem... deer sightings fall thru the floor on my farms Dec 1st due to 3 weeks of intense pressure combined with the end of 1st rut. Some of the worst hunting (for mature bucks) the entire season on my places is Dec 1 thru 15.

UTGrad

Back to the top. I'm sitting by the camp sunbathing letting my clothes air dry. I'm about to head to a spot I want to try this afternoon. I bet they won't move till right at quitting time lol.

Ski

I know it's contrary to conventional wisdom, but I see the best deer activity when it warms up after a cool spell or bad weather event. If I had to choose between hunting a five day stretch of the 30's, and two days in the 60's right after, I'd pick the two warm days. I know folks get excited about cool weather, but I kinda like the fair weather days. The only thing I don't like about the warm is the rush to get the deer processed.

philsanchez76

I shot a deer this morning at 8:30 it was already in the 60s. There was absolutely no movement early maybe because of the fog in the bottoms I dunno.

Chiflyguy

I got a high up here tommorow of 55 in Illinois for 2nd gun season where I should have snow on the ground.
I got a 50% chance of getting something as opposed to 0% if I stay home😀
Ill go sit in a tree😉

Latest posts