Warm weather and rut

diamond hunter

With this warm weather what does it mean with the rut.Nighttime mostly?Late rut? I just diont have enough years and experience to know what to expect. I dont have a certain buck picked out and mostly just hunt food plots when its real cold. The heat wave has me wondering a bunch of stuff. Please give me some advice.

BSK

VERY warm weather shifts more of deer activity to the cooler, night-time hours. Deer are loading their body with fats right now, and that produces a thick layer of outer fat that is like us wearing a puffy down jacket. If you have to run around chasing females wearing a down jacket, when are you going to do it? During the heat of the day or at night when it's cooler? And deer don't have the temperature regulation system we do (sweating).

But heat does not shift the dates of breeding. Breeding will occur on about the same dates each year, with a few rare exceptions. The heat just shifts more of the chasing to the night-time hours.

diamond hunter, in your area, you should see the rut at the normal time of year. However, those in West TN and western Middle TN may not. One of the factors that can delay the rut is poor health or even stressed health. West of Nashville, the summer and fall heat and drought, and resulting acorn failure, have the deer quite physically stressed. When deer are physically stressed, breeding timing can be delayed. In addition, breed "rituals" such as rubbing and scraping, can be VERY muted. The bucks simply don't have the extra energy required to go through these ritual motions.

The worst situation like this I've ever seen was in 2007. That year we had a severe late freeze that not only killed all the summer forbs deer rely on, but also wiped out the following falls acorn crop. That summer was record heat and drought. By fall, the environment was burned to a crisp. In addition, we experienced the worst EHD outbreak in recent memory in Middle and West TN, with some areas losing 30-50% of the deer population. The fall of 2007 was lowest amount of rubbing and scraping I've recorded in 35 years, and peak breeding appeared to be delayed approximately 3 weeks.

Now the conditions are not as severe this year as they were in 2007 (no EHD outbreak), but I still suspect the areas affected the worst by the drought will see a delayed and muted rut.

Big Jeremy

Kids have really put a stranglehold on my hunting opportunities this year so far...only been out four times. I DID see a young buck chasing in a local state park a couple of days ago, though. Seems like when it starts happening there with the young ones, it's about a week out from starting to get good in the hunting woods.

Specializedjon

Kids have really put a stranglehold on my hunting opportunities this year so far...only been out four times. I DID see a young buck chasing in a local state park a couple of days ago, though. Seems like when it starts happening there with the young ones, it's about a week out from starting to get good in the hunting woods.
Welcome Jeremy.

ML_Hunter

i caught some chasing on my deer cam yesterday afternoon and im close to Jackson. but when i went scouting a week ago i did not see alot of acorns or any sign.

DoubleRidge

With this warm weather what does it mean with the rut.Nighttime mostly?Late rut? I just diont have enough years and experience to know what to expect. I dont have a certain buck picked out and mostly just hunt food plots when its real cold. The heat wave has me wondering a bunch of stuff. Please give me some advice.

diamond hunter...if you hadn't already see BSK's post on rut timing. He has the data to back it up. And what he is saying has been proven year after year. All we can do in warmer temps is hunt hard with focus on early morning and late evening activity....now....if you are like me and have vacation days set aside to hunt and your trying to figure out when to schedule them.... normally I'm taking certain days off during the first and second week of muzzleloader then the three days before Thanksgiving....this year I may focus more days off towards the second week of muzzleloader and the first week of rifle and hope for cooler temps with more daytime activity....but regardless of temp, weather or my vacation schedule...the rut is gonna happen... We just gotta hope to be in the right place at the right time.... and while some won't agree....when I feel we're nearing the peak of the rut and they are chasing hard....I'll pack a lunch and sit all day....good luck hunting! It will be getting right soon.

Headhunter

The best rut I have ever personally witnessed in Tennessee was the first week of gun season, and it was the hottest temperature wise I can ever remember. Bucks were chasing does most anytime of the day. I passed many nice ones and killed a great buck. I hunted in shorts and a camo T-shirt most every evening that week.

hardhorns1982

My experience and a lot of the studies show that deer movement is pretty consistent even with hunting pressure and weird weather. What I have seen is when it's unusually warm is the buck is still feeding like usual they're just not moving as far as fast. They may stay much closer to their bedding until it's dark. Same with hunting pressure. They are still feeding but they may take a 100 yards of steps in a 50 yard area. I would say weather or not the aggressive bucks are going to move. The older mature bucks are waiting till the lights are dimmed.

UTGrad

Mid 60s to 70 isn't completely out of the norm for November. High 70s and above are abnormal.

I hunt when I can as much as I can when does are getting hot. It's deer season y'all lol

DeerMan66

You can't kill em of you ain't out there. Hunt as much as you can in November. When the chase starts stay in the woods. I've killed them chasing from daylight until dark. I've kill them chasing in warm weather, cold weather, the wind blowing and several other weather events. When the chase is on you need to be there. Have fun.

Latest posts