TWRA Comment Period Open For CWD Plan

Kelljp

I wish there was a vaccine. If they could develop one , it wouldn't be that difficult to administer with feeders. They even drop rabies medicine from airplanes to raccoons and skunks.
The use of feeders may be one of the reasons we see the spreading. From what I've read "CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water "
Feeders tend to conjugate several animals to a central location allowing healthy deer to associate with infected animals.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
It opened in CWD Zone Oct 1st and closes Jan. 31st. Sad isn't it? Some are excited about the extended season. The day it takes me 4 months to kill a mature buck is the day I quit.
The only regulations I have seen were that gun opened on October 31st. Was there some other announcement or update made outside of the normal TWRA regulations?

Andy S.

The only regulations I have seen were that gun opened on October 31st. Was there some other announcement or update made outside of the normal TWRA regulations?
I do not follow this question? Are you asking "where does it state season ends January 31 in Unit CWD"? If so, page 18 of 2022 H&T Guide.

fairchaser

The use of feeders may be one of the reasons we see the spreading. From what I've read "CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water "
Feeders tend to conjugate several animals to a central location allowing healthy deer to associate with infected animals.
Yes, that's why they are prohibited in the CWD zones. But dissemination of a vaccine or medicine for CWD would change those rules.

redblood

All weapons season and extended seasons are hard for discriminating herd managers and property owners to protect older age deer. Even in closely regulated properties. We have a ridiculously long season right now. Late September to mid January with a 3 day august weekend thrown in to boot. We have one of the longest muzzleloader seasons and maybe the longest rifle seasons in the country. Cant imagine we need another 6 weeks of rifle. I know to casual meat hunters this may sound like Christmas morning. But it would adversely affect the quality of deer hunting in areas with trophy potential. And for what? Illinois has had covid and they didnt go ape crap with kill them all mentality and have been able to keep their trophy potential and out of state license sales high because of it. I believe Missouri is another example. And i can tell you that KY will hold the line when it comes there. And why give hunters and extra buck tag for an infected deer. He was killed, which is what Twra wanted right. Why a prize for killing him? I understand that the hunter may bot want to eat him, but in they can always kill a doe for food. If it comes to long seasons and all weapons make it anterless only.

redblood

I just read missouris plan. And it was very noninvasive and centered around increasing the doe harvest only! No need to decimate buck population. I hope TWRA will follow suit. Illinois used sharp shooters that targeted antlerless deer only. That makes sense.not turning hunters lose with an extra month to kill bucks with a centerfire

Last edited:

redblood

Just one opinion after having hunted in unit L for years and the CWD zone since the beginning of the outbreak. TWRA can liberalize limits and seasons all they want, hunters are only gonna shoot so many deer. Look at the "success" of the velvet season, earn a buck, earn another-nother-nother buck. It's already been 3 does/day forever.

TWRA sets regs but hunters pull the trigger and history has shown there IS a limit to how many folks will kill. I for one think we're bumping up against that limit.
I agree with that. But ultimately more bucks will be harvested

Kelljp

The problem I hear here in this discussion has turned to overkilling of bucks.
Unfortunately legislation ain't the fix. People that want to kill more will kill more ( how many friends and family have license that's tags get attributed to a deer shot by someone else ) ?
A high percentage want horns, nothing more. That's what the hunting industry has educated generations on.

Headhunter

All this is by the TWRA is a "cover our BEHIND" plot. They will not listen or take any advice from anyone other than whoever the nutjobs are running the TWRA. They can talk about how we ask for "public input" but there is no way they listen. I firmly believe they will twist, lie, etc. to do whatever they want, the upper management at the TWRA is no better than ALL the idiots in Washington now, the TWRA has become just plain old crooked politicians.

7mmWSM

Deer are very adaptable to hunting pressure. There are no limits or rule changes that would make a huge difference short of hunting at night or baiting. I've seen our deer migrate to thicker cover and change their movements to just after dark. Other than the rut, this makes them unattainable. On our club, you must earn your buck tag with a doe. As of this date, roughly half the members had not taken their doe in spite of the easier rules.
If I remember right you hunt or hunted Ames. Aldo I've heard its
Suspect that was a typo, firearm opened Monday Oct. 31 in Unit CWD.
Correct. Sorry It was Oct 31st. I had a brain fart.

cowhunter71

All weapons season and extended seasons are hard for discriminating herd managers and property owners to protect older age deer. Even in closely regulated properties. We have a ridiculously long season right now. Late September to mid January with a 3 day august weekend thrown in to boot. We have one of the longest muzzleloader seasons and maybe the longest rifle seasons in the country. Cant imagine we need another 6 weeks of rifle. I know to casual meat hunters this may sound like Christmas morning. But it would adversely affect the quality of deer hunting in areas with trophy potential. And for what? Illinois has had covid and they didnt go ape crap with kill them all mentality and have been able to keep their trophy potential and out of state license sales high because of it. I believe Missouri is another example. And i can tell you that KY will hold the line when it comes there. And why give hunters and extra buck tag for an infected deer. He was killed, which is what Twra wanted right. Why a prize for killing him? I understand that the hunter may bot want to eat him, but in they can always kill a doe for food. If it comes to long seasons and all weapons make it anterless only.
You don't like our long deer seasons here in the South, move your a## up north with the rest of those liberal bast##ds ;)

AlabamaSwamper

The states that have seen the light have no problems. Life goes on. Deer herd just fine

I'd be shocked if money isn't involved somehow in federal grants. Why else would an agency do the same exact failed things that other states tried?

They are ruining decades of sound deer management and losing all credibility with a generation or more. Way to go

Kelljp

All this is by the TWRA is a "cover our BEHIND" plot. They will not listen or take any advice from anyone other than whoever the nutjobs are running the TWRA. They can talk about how we ask for "public input" but there is no way they listen. I firmly believe they will twist, lie, etc. to do whatever they want, the upper management at the TWRA is no better than ALL the idiots in Washington now, the TWRA has become just plain old crooked politicians.
The only thing I see TWRA do, is worry about how they can improve things around Nashville.
Can't point to a single thing other than paving parking lots for fishing outfitters guide boat launch and parking on the rivers here in East TN. They never have listen to the people that hunt and fish, only to there experts ( that usually are fishing for a government grant).

redblood

The very first objective.

"Strategy 1.1.1. Conduct annual, post hunting season deer removal (targeted removal) in areas with isolated, low number of positive samples (hereafter: sparks) and/or in areas on the perimeter of the enzootic area. Timeframe: Annually"

Layman's terms - wipe out the deer in areas where CWD is newly detected.

I've got 64 more pages to read, so I'll reserve further comment until I'm done and figure out what my comments to TWRA is going to be.
I would hope for this sampling that they would target does only. But I doubt that is the case

mike243

Set a limit set a time frame stick with it. Pick your weapon don't limit others because you think bow hunters deserve more time and more deer. Show me how/why bow hunters deserve more time in the woods. Do they pay more for their license than I do or more tax $

Latest posts