TWRA Comment Period Open For CWD Plan

Henry

Thanks for the answer. After enough years of doing this, we've all experience those kind of seasons. The reason I asked was that I'm on the outside looking in. I hunt some of the fringe areas just out of the CWD units. It's only a matter of time before it gets here. It's good to hear from some dedicated hunters within the CWD units to form an opinion and develop a response to the CWD plan.
Still have 62 pages left? lol, hoping to get your much smaller version of the 62 pages.

AlabamaSwamper

They haven't learned from other states failures so why would they listen to us?

They'll figure it out in 5-10 years like those other states. Unfortunately all confidence and respect for the agency will be gone for a generation by then.

7mmWSM

I'm in the CWD area and when I first heard of it I was like it's all gloom and doom for us! But after thinking about it and seeing mature deer my friends killed and some were CWD posistive and healthy as could be. My hunting tactics haven't changed one bit. I still go by the season like I did before. I still shoot only what I feel like is a mature buck. I do get him tested but I'm not in the kill 'em all like they want us too. I don't even go for the extended season they give us. TWRA wants us to wipe them out. I disagree completely with that. But this is just my opinion. TWRA could care less what I think I'm sure. Oh and poor deer don't stand a chance anymore in the CWD zone with gun season in Aug and then again running from 1st of Oct til Jan 31st.

redblood

I'm in the CWD area and when I first heard of it I was like it's all gloom and doom for us! But after thinking about it and seeing mature deer my friends killed and some were CWD posistive and healthy as could be. My hunting tactics haven't changed one bit. I still go by the season like I did before. I still shoot only what I feel like is a mature buck. I do get him tested but I'm not in the kill 'em all like they want us too. I don't even go for the extended season they give us. TWRA wants us to wipe them out. I disagree completely with that. But this is just my opinion. TWRA could care less what I think I'm sure. Oh and poor deer don't stand a chance anymore in the CWD zone with gun season in Aug and then again running from 1st of Oct til Jan 31st.
The day they run rifle
From oct to feb is the yr im done hunting deer

7mmWSM

The day they run rifle
From oct to feb is the yr im done hunting deer
It opened in CWD Zone Oct 1st and closes Jan. 31st. Sad isn't it? Some are excited about the extended season. The day it takes me 4 months to kill a mature buck is the day I quit.

fairchaser

I've hunted in the CWD zone since it started and witnessed how the incentives have impacted hunters and deer populations. The bottom line is fewer hunters with fewer deer overall being killed in spite of the incentives. Hunters that were marginal anyway have moved on to other pursuits. I'm sure without the incentives even fewer deer would be killed. Unless you are in the camp that nothing should be done because nothing can be done, the TWRA's multifaceted approach is the correct approach. I see it as buying time until a permanent solution becomes available.

7mmWSM

I've hunted in the CWD zone since it started and witnessed how the incentives have impacted hunters and deer populations. The bottom line is fewer hunters with fewer deer overall being killed in spite of the incentives. Hunters that were marginal anyway have moved on to other pursuits. I'm sure without the incentives even fewer deer would be killed. Unless you are in the camp that nothing should be done because nothing can be done, the TWRA's multifaceted approach is the correct approach. I see it as buying time until a permanent solution becomes available.
What do you see as a permanent solution? Wipe the entire herd out in the affected areas?

Swampster

It opened in CWD Zone Oct 1st and closes Jan. 31st. Sad isn't it? Some are excited about the extended season. The day it takes me 4 months to kill a mature buck is the day I quit.
I like the extended season. It takes some of the urgency of getting out when you don't really feel like it, have a cold, or have other things you really should be doing instead. It also allows a little more patience and discrimination as there is plenty of season left. And a season like this with warm weather until Christmas, the woods full of green browse, and acorns laying all over the ground until mid-December, it is giving a chance for some cooler weather hunting. Not like two weeks ago - I won't go out in that!

fairchaser

What do you see as a permanent solution? Wipe the entire herd out in the affected areas?
No, that wouldn't happen even if they wanted to. Deer will survive. They may not thrive in those hard hit areas like I hunt. The only permanent solution apart from some miracle cure is to allow nature to find its own solution. That will take a long long time. In the interim, we should slow the spread to unaffected areas as much as possible. This will buy time until other solutions can develop. No one knows in the end if it will make a difference. Wouldn't it be worthwhile if it kept it from an unaffected area 5 or 10 years?

JW01

I think they should leave it alone and let nature take care of nature. You aren't going to stop it no matter what plan you have. It's been in these other states for decades and it doesn't hurt their herds. It lives in the ground forever, buzzards can spread it, and any other animal that eats the deer can spread it. It's here to stay and it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$

Lost Lake

What if, by some slim chance, there are deer that already carry a natural immunity to the disease? Unnecessarily killing high volumes could take them out far sooner than need be, assuming they exist.

And going on that thin assumption, wouldn't it be better to let them pass that immunity on? Indiscriminate killing is gonna lessen those chances.

Sooner or later, Mother Nature will sort this out. She might not need our ham fisted help on this one. Often times we help ourselves into more problems.

fairchaser

While I don't wanna kill them all I'm all for a all weapons season as long as the limits don't get outta control.
Deer are very adaptable to hunting pressure. There are no limits or rule changes that would make a huge difference short of hunting at night or baiting. I've seen our deer migrate to thicker cover and change their movements to just after dark. Other than the rut, this makes them unattainable. On our club, you must earn your buck tag with a doe. As of this date, roughly half the members had not taken their doe in spite of the easier rules.

Kelljp

As JW01 said "Let nature take care of it",
Most us have seen other game go though these cycles when the population gets beyond the food source capacity.
Grouse and cottontails cycle ever 5 years or so. Other than taking precautions transporting deer, elk back home, what are they going do "Vaccine" the herd ?

fairchaser

I think they should leave it alone and let nature take care of nature. You aren't going to stop it no matter what plan you have. It's been in these other states for decades and it doesn't hurt their herds. It lives in the ground forever, buzzards can spread it, and any other animal that eats the deer can spread it. It's here to stay and it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$
You may be right. But, CWD has never been in a southern deer herd with this density. It's a proximity disease, so we really don't know what it will do here. I've witnessed it reduce our herd and kill off the mature deer, especially the mature bucks. Is that what you want where you hunt?

fairchaser

As JW01 said "Let nature take care of it",
Most us have seen other game go though these cycles when the population gets beyond the food source capacity.
Grouse and cottontails cycle ever 5 years or so. Other than taking precautions transporting deer, elk back home, what are they going do "Vaccine" the herd ?
I wish there was a vaccine. If they could develop one , it wouldn't be that difficult to administer with feeders. They even drop rabies medicine from airplanes to raccoons and skunks.

Latest posts