Turkey hunting spot in midlle or west TN

JDBinTN

I have at least one long weekend during turkey season and was wondering if anybody knew of some public ground or something private where I may have to pay fee to access some good turkey hunting in the middle or western part of TN. I have couple of spots here in Seq. Valley but nothing like numbers of birds west of here. Thanks for any info.

medwc

There is Fort Campbell and LBL here near clarksville/dover area. It can be tough to get an area on the fort and LBL can be tough to find a bird that 6 hunters are not calling/running to. Both have a LOT of Toms. The key to the fort is "know the call-in system" and patience. LBL's key is to get way off the road where MOST hunter won't be and patience. JMO, Dan

DBLAARCHERY

I don't know where you are wanting to go but check out Gin Creek area...This is between Paris and Camden TN around Big Sandy Creek...We kill there every year and have no problems with other hunters...I know now that I posted this it might be diffrent but try it...

WTM

DBLAARCHERY said:
I don't know where you are wanting to go but check out Gin Creek area...This is between Paris and Camden TN around Big Sandy Creek...We kill there every year and have no problems with other hunters...I know now that I posted this it might be diffrent but try it...

yea, there is turkey there, just keep it on the down low. as long as the water doesnt have it flooded. camden bottoms also a good place, as long as the water isnt flooded. natchez trace has a lot of birds, but its huge and you have to find them, but expect to see a quite a few hunters. they usually have the draw hunts first then 2 weeks of nonquota. dont forget the TNNWR, lot of birds on the refuge. you will need a $12 dollar refuge permit. harmons creek has a lot of birds, but you got to hunt them quick off the roost cause they move to private property in the valley really quick.

i usually have birds scouted out on most of these areas, but usually i fill my tags on my properties and dont even hunt them. when turkey season gets close, pm me, or call my cell number in my profile if you are in benton county area and i can take you to some birds.

Grizzly Johnson

Can you even get onto the TNNWR anymore? The last 2-3 years I have gone to Hutsburg to look at the waterfowl, the refuge has been closed. My uncle said they were having issues with the roads and had it closed..... Maybe it opens back up in the spring.... I have not been to it in the spring time.

WTM

Grizzly_Johnson said:
Can you even get onto the TNNWR anymore? The last 2-3 years I have gone to Hutsburg to look at the waterfowl, the refuge has been closed. My uncle said they were having issues with the roads and had it closed..... Maybe it opens back up in the spring.... I have not been to it in the spring time.
the only time the refuge is closed to traffic is middle november until the end of february for bird migrations. they do close roads due to flooding, but usually its only the roads close to the river. season is open with statewide, no quota, and birds count toward the state bag limit.

Grizzly Johnson

Good to know WTM, thanks! I thought about trying the NWR last year but too many things going on at home and it's a 3 hr drive for me... It sucks they close it in winter..... We used to drive the roads and look at all the wild life .... some great deer on the refuge too!! Last time we went I got some video.... It wasn't a great camera so the shot film that was zoomed in wasn't the best but still got some decent footage.