Turkey hunting first for me

megalomaniac

Out with my youngest Sophia this morn... 34deg, 20mph N winds, wind chill 17.

Never hunted turkeys from a popup blind, but man I'm glad I brought one with me this morn. Wind is brutal, but we are pretty comfortable so far!

I totally botched up our first hunt yesterday afternoon. First spot we went to I stopped 100y short of a food plot a big tom has been hitting. Soft called just barely loud enough for a bird to hear if he was in the plot. Nothing. Waited 5 min, then wanted to get to the hardwood drain on the other side of the plot to set up for a while. As I crept around the corner, I caught a glimpse of him coming in silent at 60y. He barely caught me, the eased off without spooking too bad. We set up for an hour, but he never came back. Hit another 7 spots, but never heard a single gobble. Did get one lone hen to go berserk calling back to push the intruder hen off her nesting territory.

We're set up close to where the tom was yest afternoon. No gobbles this morn so far, but I would be able to hear one more than 100y away if he was downwind

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220312-062946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220312-062946_Gallery.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 115

megalomaniac

We were actually quite comfortable. But total silence except for the wind. Pulled out and headed to the spot with the hellraising hen yesterday afternoon. Left the truck 400y from the plot, walking down the logging road to the plot, came over a rise 100y from the truck, and there was a small flock with 2 in full strut at 50y. We hit the dirt, clucked, but no dice, they flew thru the woods headed straight for where we were set up originally. I don't think the flock got separated, but we still lopped around them and are soft calling in a hardwood drain. But jeez, you can't hear anything in this wind.

Still better than sitting on the couch!

Latest posts