TSS question

eastTN270

This year I am going with the 20 gauge. (Rem 1187). I found a store that has quite a bit of TSS shells in stock and have a couple questions.
I guess my first question, is it worth it? They had a box of 10 Winchester Longbeard XR in #6 for $21.99. Box of 5 Federal TSS 8-10 shot for $43.99. Box of 5 Federal TSS 9 shot for $39.99.
Second question: are those prices in line? I've seen lower prices online, but they are all out of stock or some are discontinued.
Third: I've got the Carlson .575 choke. It's ok to shoot TSS through?
Thanks!

deerfever

I shoot Federal TSS #9 out of 3 different 20 gauge guns with the Carlson's 575 it throws a great hunting pattern! I picked up some TSS #9 for 32 in a store last week just because it was in stock . I think those prices are a little high but it is hard to find in stock especially if you wait till closer to turkey season. I guess to answer your question of if it's worth it? That is totally up to you as far as how much you want to spend and what you want your pattern like. I can tell you after hunting for years I have never seen anything that patterns as well as TSS.

Andy S.

Your gun and choke are good to go, and the exact combination a lot of turkey "hunters" use with #9 TSS. I'm not in the loop on the prices of commercially loaded TSS, but $7-8/shell sounds about right from what I can remember.

Tip - make sure your gun/choke combination shoots straight (POA = POI) with some cheap #8 or #9 dove loads, then test fire 1-2 TSS shells to confirm they do as well. If they do not, you will likely need adjustable sights or a dedicated red dot sight like some guys shoot. The last thing you want is a great setup that does not shoot where you are aiming/pointing.

The good news is your choke at 0.575 constriction if forgiving enough that it will throw a solid 35-40" wide pattern (perfect for hunting), which should minimize any misses, cripples, etc.

Latest posts