TSI

deerchaser007

Thats a hard ? to answer. Everyone does things different because some just target for wildlife use,. others wildlife use and timber value for the future. AND,.. it depends on the tree species of your individual property. For example,. my farm is covered in alot of beech. No timber value,. but a respectable wildlife use tree,. but not in abundance. So targeting some of them on my place is necassary. I never a cut a oak ,.. period. Some folks target poplar ,. no wildlife value,. but resonable timber value. So ,.. i target the crooked poplars with no timber value but keep the nice straight ones for future cuts. Same with maple,.. decent timber value and decent wildlife use(deer love maple leaves in the fall). BUT,. target crooked maples and you can get small maples to sprout up and it makes for good woody browse. Other trees that ain't much use for nothing is gum and hackberry. Hackberry can be cut up for firewood and sold for money to invest back into the management program though. Hope that helps you some!!

scrimshaw

Thanks guys...

The middle 50 acres of the property has really old growth for which I am fortunate. I have black, red and white oaks some three feet + diameter. I also have tulip poplars the same size. I am considering starting with having the poplars harvested as well as some 50 year old pines (shortleaf) which are no wildlife value.

I wasn't aware of maple being of great value, as I do have some large ones of those as well, but with all my oaks I am considering leaving those and taking the maples. I need to have a forester come out and take a look.

I also am planning on taking some oaks as some are 4 feet close when they should be, according to my research, 30 feet apart for ideal acorn production. My main goal is to get sunlight to the ground to encourage more dense undergrowth as right now, other than the acorns there's not good cover for the deer to use the timber.