TSI herbicide

squackattack

Have y'all had much success using straight glyphosate with hack and squirt. I have a partial jug and wanted to use it up instead of buying a jug of arsenal. Elm, ironwood, gums, and red maple are the target species.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've not used glyphosate so I can't comment. I have used Arsenal and Tordon rtu. I seem to get a faster kill with the tordon and will probably go back to it after I use up the Arsenal.

Jcalder

I didn't use it straight, but last year I used a heavy dose of cornerstone and crossbow mixed up and none of the thorn trees I sprayed died. Actually, other than weeds and briars, I don't think it done anything to any bushes. Someone here had a video on the chemicals to use but it's slipped my mind on what was actually recommended. But it was 2 herbicides.

JCDEERMAN

I didn't use it straight, but last year I used a heavy dose of cornerstone and crossbow mixed up and none of the thorn trees I sprayed died. Actually, other than weeds and briars, I don't think it done anything to any bushes. Someone here had a video on the chemicals to use but it's slipped my mind on what was actually recommended. But it was 2 herbicides.

The Dr. Craig Harper Cocktail:

BSK

I use a 50% glyphosate concentrate and 50% water. Kills pretty much anything but not mature trees of any species. So far, I've found NOTHING that will kill mature trees, including double girdling.

Boll Weevil

BSK, not even Garlon 4a? I've had great luck with it on thin barked trees like beech, maple, myrtle, and privet. Diesel as the carrier/penetrant it'll smoke those species.

Last edited:

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I use a 50% glyphosate concentrate and 50% water. Kills pretty much anything but not mature trees of any species. So far, I've found NOTHING that will kill mature trees, including double girdling.
I've got some big beeches double girdled, hack and squirted, drilled & herbicide applied, and girdled and squirted. Going to have to wait and see if they leaf out this spring and figure out if any method is successful.

BSK

BSK, not even Garlon 4a? I've had great luck with it on thick barked trees like beech, maple, myrtle, and privet. Diesel as the carrier/penetrant it'll smoke those species.
I've had extremely poor results from Garlon 4A. Wouldn't kill anything. I've even tried mixing it with Imazapyr and glyphosate and none of those mixtures worked as well as just glyphosate concentrate.

BSK

I'm actually surprised Craig recommends mixing Garlon with Imazapyr. I used that mixture, killed virtually nothing, and then a TN Forestry person told me those two chemicals counteract each other and won't produce a good kill with hack-and-squirt.

Ballerski

I've use gly and water with good results anytime past October. Upon recommendation, I've tried gly, water and diesel and results seemed the same as 50-50 mix.

rukiddin

1/2" hole angled down in the tree at base with a shot of tordon in the hole kills every time for me. Bradford pear, elms and hackberry make up the majority of what I'm killing.

LanceS4803

In the last few years I have killed literally thousands of trees on my property (sweet gum, red maples, beech, black gum and privet) with outstanding success. From saplings to monster sweet gums.
Garlon 4 for hack & squirt
Garlon 3 for basal bark
Both mixed to insert instructions.
What is great about Garlon 4 is that it will not cross species with entangled root systems. As in, I H&S a sweetgum that is growing together with an oak. It will only kill the sweet gum.

BSK

In the last few years I have killed literally thousands of trees on my property (sweet gum, red maples, beech, black gum and privet) with outstanding success. From saplings to monster sweet gums.
Garlon 4 for hack & squirt
What concentration of Garlon 4?

LanceS4803

50/50 with water (per instructions) and generally follow the recommended hacks per inch. I used blue marker dye at first, but it is easy to tell which trees I hit, as I do them all at the same height.
I have run into a few trees that the H&S didn't seem to "take" with one application.
And I have one tree that is on it's 3rd attempt! Weird that on each of the previous ones the tree vomits up that sweet smelling yellow goo, and areas around the hack start to rot, but the darned tree will NOT die! But that is a very rare exception.

JCDEERMAN

And I have one tree that is on it's 3rd attempt! Weird that on each of the previous ones the tree vomits up that sweet smelling yellow goo, and areas around the hack start to rot, but the darned tree will NOT die! But that is a very rare exception.
I had this happen on virtually every tree I H&S last September with Triclopyr. It frustrated me so much - I treated about 2 acres. I have some huge projects coming up in October. I even went and bought a small arborist chainsaw for girdling and doing this every fall. Now it is just making the right herbicide concoction.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
How long did it take to see results on the big trees with Arsenal?
I have seen results on the smaller trees, but the bigger ones are not showing anything after about a month.

Latest posts