Trail Cam left on Public Land - view the pics?

TboneD

I'd be willing to bet not one person who puts a camera out wants to "watch you" either.
No argument with that statement lol but technically speaking, using cams to monitor hunting pressure is watching more than just wildlife. And I'm sure it's a fairly common practice. I remember a THP episode a while back where they did so and recommended it. Also, back in November I couldn't help but notice a cell cam on the side of the road to monitor traffic into a historically popular area on Cheatham WMA. Just kind of feels a little intrusive but if it's legal it's legal.

knightrider

No argument with that statement lol but technically speaking, using cams to monitor hunting pressure is watching more than just wildlife. And I'm sure it's a fairly common practice. I remember a THP episode a while back where they did so and recommended it. Also, back in November I couldn't help but notice a cell cam on the side of the road to monitor traffic into a historically popular area on Cheatham WMA. Just kind of feels a little intrusive but if it's legal it's legal.
Probably the same one we waved at as we went by, hope it picked the rack up sticking above the bedside😂

MS_Strut

That's definitely a possibility. If I was running one like that, maybe it will keep me from stumbling in on another hunters sit if I see them go in there before me. Could also be beneficial to you if you were there before them.

If I remember correctly that camera they put up was also on a scrape and they even commented on the fact that there were still deer visiting it even with some other hunter foot traffic. And even eventually got a photo of the same hunters dragging a deer out that they photographed on that was visiting the scrape frequently.

I'm sure there's more than one video of them doing that though. I just don't see the harm.

TboneD

Probably the same one we waved at as we went by, hope it picked the rack up sticking above the bedside😂
Probably so 😆

Reminds me of a cell cam that's been moved a bit last couple of years (assuming it's the same one) in some open timber I walk through to a spot. After I shot my big 8 Thanksgiving weekend I'm walking back in with my cart and thought to myself how funny it might be if I ended up walking out by the cam. Wouldn't you know it, I did just that, and he was a good un for where we hunt! 😝

Congrats on your Cheatham buck! I've found some big sheds and my biggest deadhead over there but never really put in the effort required.

TboneD

That's definitely a possibility. If I was running one like that, maybe it will keep me from stumbling in on another hunters sit if I see them go in there before me. Could also be beneficial to you if you were there before them.

If I remember correctly that camera they put up was also on a scrape and they even commented on the fact that there were still deer visiting it even with some other hunter foot traffic. And even eventually got a photo of the same hunters dragging a deer out that they photographed on that was visiting the scrape frequently.

I'm sure there's more than one video of them doing that though. I just don't see the harm.
Yes, think I might've seen that one as well. It's hard to argue there's any harm done by cams but it still sort of sucks to get excited over good sign and then come across them, especially a cell cam sitting right where you'd pick a stand. Not as annoying as finding a stand on that tree, though. 😀

MS_Strut

Yes, think I might've seen that one as well. It's hard to argue there's any harm done by cams but it still sort of sucks to get excited over good sign and then come across them, especially a cell cam sitting right where you'd pick a stand. Not as annoying as finding a stand on that tree, though. 😀

Add it to the list of things that sort of sucks when one has to hunt public land instead of private I guess. There are plenty of ways to not be in the cameras view and still hunt the same deer/spot if it bothers someone so much. Sounds like more of a personal problem. Messing with the camera is not one of the ways to hunt that spot IMO.

A cell cam being where I find sign doesn't deter me one bit. It's not like they've staked a claim to that spot. If I'm there before someone and I want to hunt it, I'm setting up.

People on public who try to hold down "their spot" or prevent you from scouting it and not boogering "their deer" are the bigger problems.

DeerCamp

That does feel a little intrusive.

It would say the point of that camera is to watch hunters as opposed to wildlife.

I don't mind get caught on camera in the act of pursuing wildlife - not sure I like being the target.

TboneD

Add it to the list of things that sort of sucks when one has to hunt public land instead of private I guess. There are plenty of ways to not be in the cameras view and still hunt the same deer/spot if it bothers someone so much. Sounds like more of a personal problem. Messing with the camera is not one of the ways to hunt that spot IMO.

A cell cam being where I find sign doesn't deter me one bit. It's not like they've staked a claim to that spot. If I'm there before someone and I want to hunt it, I'm setting up.

People on public who try to hold down "their spot" or prevent you from scouting it and not boogering "their deer" are the bigger problems.
Unlike most I suppose I love the elbow room of public big woods and the challenge of not only of hunting the deer, but even the indirect competition with other hunters for bucks I'm after.

As I've already posted, I don't mess with cams I come across, whether left legally or not.

As for guys who perceive some claim to "their spot", that's exactly why WMA managers or other agencies don't want stands left on a tree overnight. Or rather, the last thing they want is a situation between two hunters getting out of hand. So has it ever occurred to you how A FEW guys might react if they had pics sent to their phone of some guy hunting "their spot"? And does it really matter if the guy hunting over their cell cam noticed it or not? What if he was so excited over the sign or came in before first light and never noticed it? That's irrelevant, but as for personal problems, it's hard to argue that cell cams on public won't eventually cause a few hopefully rare situations involving a hunter with personal problems.

As for the unsportsmanlike conduct you describe in your last comment as "the bigger problems", you don't think a cell cam could ever be the tool of choice?

MS_Strut

Unlike most I suppose I love the elbow room of public big woods and the challenge of not only of hunting the deer, but even the indirect competition with other hunters for bucks I'm after.

As I've already posted, I don't mess with cams I come across, whether left legally or not.

As for guys who perceive some claim to "their spot", that's exactly why WMA managers or other agencies don't want stands left on a tree overnight. Or rather, the last thing they want is a situation between two hunters getting out of hand. So has it ever occurred to you how A FEW guys might react if they had pics sent to their phone of some guy hunting "their spot"? And does it really matter if the guy hunting over their cell cam noticed it or not? What if he was so excited over the sign or came in before first light and never noticed it? That's irrelevant, but as for personal problems, it's hard to argue that cell cams on public won't eventually cause a few hopefully rare situations involving a hunter with personal problems.

As for the unsportsmanlike conduct you describe in your last comment as "the bigger problems", you don't think a cell cam could ever be the tool of choice?

I agree with the challenges public land can present. It has made me a better hunter.

The person showing up before first light or first in general has the right to the spot. Period. If someone wants to claim "their spot" and shows up late they are in the wrong to react at all (other than moving to plan B) if it's public. Regardless, of whether they've been hunting the sign all year or just put the camera up. To think that they can run someone off because they are monitoring the public area with a camera is hunter harassment.

Obviously there are people who will make a big deal out of this type of scenario. I am not one of them. Again, they are the problem, not the person who wakes up earlier and shows up before them.

I've turned around and walked out silently many times after spotting another hunter. Even if they are just on the path of the direction or spot where I am trying to get. That's part of it on public and creates a new challenge for your hunt. It's not always fun but sometimes it turns into a blessing.

There isn't an animal that I hunt that is worth a confrontation in the woods with weapons/guns involved. They can have it. I would 100% report the person to a game warden immediately if they show any hostility towards me though. And would be even more ecstatic that I have a picture of them from my cell cam to show the game warden's too. Maybe I could pursuit another offense for them messing with my property if there is one but I doubt that's a thing.

TboneD

I agree with the challenges public land can present. It has made me a better hunter.

The person showing up before first light or first in general has the right to the spot. Period. If someone wants to claim "their spot" and shows up late they are in the wrong to react at all (other than moving to plan B) if it's public. Regardless, of whether they've been hunting the sign all year or just put the camera up. To think that they can run someone off because they are monitoring the public area with a camera is hunter harassment.

Obviously there are people who will make a big deal out of this type of scenario. I am not one of them. Again, they are the problem, not the person who wakes up earlier and shows up before them.

I've turned around and walked out silently many times after spotting another hunter. Even if they are just on the path of the direction or spot where I am trying to get. That's part of it on public and creates a new challenge for your hunt. It's not always fun but sometimes it turns into a blessing.

There isn't an animal that I hunt that is worth a confrontation in the woods with weapons/guns involved. They can have it. I would 100% report the person to a game warden immediately if they show any hostility towards me though. And would be even more ecstatic that I have a picture of them from my cell cam to show the game warden's too. Maybe I could pursuit another offense for them messing with my property if there is one but I doubt that's a thing.
All that said but did you really address my question? I do hope you realize that most of us here share your ethics. Anyhow, no matter the popularity of cell cams on public ground, according to the regs you still need permission to leave unattended property on a WMA, including trail cams per our Commissioner Granbery (Region 2).

Last edited:

david k.

Turn the question around...if you leave your camera on public land and someone finds it.....are you OK with them pulling / reading your SD card, moving your camera around the tree, or worse?

You can lie to us but be honest with yourself.

MS_Strut

All that said but did you really address my question? I do hope you realize that most of us here share your ethics. Anyhow, no matter the popularity of cell cams on public ground, according to the regs you still need permission to leave unattended property on a WMA, including trail cams per our Commissioner Granbery (Region 2).

"So has it ever occurred to you how A FEW guys might react if they had pics sent to their phone of some guy hunting "their spot"? And does it really matter if the guy hunting over their cell cam noticed it or not?"

It has occured to me but it's not theirs to claim so they are not granted that luxury or authority with just a camera being there. The person who gets there first is there first so whether a game camera is there or not should not hold precedent for anything. A stand being there would be a bit more of a deterrent for me but I don't agree that it should be allowed to stay for over 24 hours if they are going to bend the rules and give permission for that.

Are cameras intended to hold a spot? A camera isn't holding a spot for anyone IMO. Where a blind/stand is clearly intended to hold the spot. But if it's there the entire season and it's in a spot I want to hunt I would respect it for a few hunts and then hunt the spot as I please after a few visits of having to turn back. I would also reach out to a game warden via email mentioning that just to have it documented.

I have emails from a WMA manager stating I can leave a stand or camera on a property as long as I want if I am willing to risk it walking off. I wasn't asking him for permission to do this, he just had it in his response to a different question I had about a WMA.

Maybe I missed your question. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said. But their personal problems with a camera taking a picture of them shouldn't have any priority over where I am allowed to hunt. I pay the same fees and taxes to hunt public land as they do. Your question is a different scenario that what my original comment was directed at as well.

themanpcl

"So has it ever occurred to you how A FEW guys might react if they had pics sent to their phone of some guy hunting "their spot"? And does it really matter if the guy hunting over their cell cam noticed it or not?"

It has occured to me but it's not theirs to claim so they are not granted that luxury or authority with just a camera being there. The person who gets there first is there first so whether a game camera is there or not should not hold precedent for anything. A stand being there would be a bit more of a deterrent for me but I don't agree that it should be allowed to stay for over 24 hours if they are going to bend the rules and give permission for that.

Are cameras intended to hold a spot? A camera isn't holding a spot for anyone IMO. Where a blind/stand is clearly intended to hold the spot. But if it's there the entire season and it's in a spot I want to hunt I would respect it for a few hunts and then hunt the spot as I please after a few visits of having to turn back. I would also reach out to a game warden via email mentioning that just to have it documented.

I have emails from a WMA manager stating I can leave a stand or camera on a property as long as I want if I am willing to risk it walking off. I wasn't asking him for permission to do this, he just had it in his response to a different question I had about a WMA.

Maybe I missed your question. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said. But their personal problems with a camera taking a picture of them shouldn't have any priority over where I am allowed to hunt. I pay the same fees and taxes to hunt public land as they do. Your question is a different scenario that what my original comment was directed at as well.
Agree with you. I had a similar issue this year in IL during firearms season. (not so short background) I have hunted in this one public land area for 6 years. All 6 years within 100 yds of my original sit in 2018. I DO NOT think of it as "my spot". I was going to put a couple cams on it before the IL archery season began 2023. I never made it up there before opening weekend so didn't place any. Had I set any, I would have elevated and camouflaged the cams and locked them with a python lock so the only way to get the card would be to break the cable or break the cam. I would have been fine with someone finding the cam and doing what I would do if I found one while scouting, write their phone number down on paper and let the cam take a pic of it. I would then have called the person and had a conversation. It would not have kept me from hunting the area even if he was hunting all archery and firearm season. I would have at a minimum known that there was someone in the area so to be alert. Fast forward to this past season. As I was leaving the area on the last day (usually in before daylight and out after dark) it was still light out, I took a different trail out. I found a cell cam about 400 yds from where I hunt. I was never on that trail so it would not have picked me up. It was not locked so I could have pulled the card but I didn't and wouldn't. Since I was not going to be hunting after that day, I did not leave my number as it would have been a moot point. I will look for it when I scout this year before the season and will leave it then if the cam is there. All this to say, public is open to public hunting. Unless it becomes illegal to use cell cams, I see no issues with their use. Placing a cam just like placing a stand do not constitute "your spot". I think cams like stands should have to be marked with name and phone number and follow the same placement and removal restrictions as stands. If I see a cam or a stand on public land, I'm still going to hunt the area as I would if I saw no cams or stands.

Soft Talker

Turn the question around...if you leave your camera on public land and someone finds it.....are you OK with them pulling / reading your SD card, moving your camera around the tree, or worse?

You can lie to us but be honest with yourself.
Never once owned a trail camera, and don't plan on it. Will continue to point yours in the wrong direction if I find it on public ground though :p Being totally honest.

Joe2Kool

I've come across a few. If I spot it before it spots me, I go around it. If not, I'll give it a big wave and smile. Otherwise, I leave it alone. As mentioned by several, it's not mine so I'll leave it alone.

Latest posts