Locking trail cam to tree

DMD

Anyone have an idea for locking cameras to tree BESIDES Masterlock Python? Or, do you have resource for a good price on Pythons? Amazon has them for around $13 bucks, but I would like to get about 10 all keyed alike. For some reason the price per cable goes up when you order a lot of them like that. Go figure. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

themanpcl

Anyone have an idea for locking cameras to tree BESIDES Masterlock Python? Or, do you have resource for a good price on Pythons? Amazon has them for around $13 bucks, but I would like to get about 10 all keyed alike. For some reason the price per cable goes up when you order a lot of them like that. Go figure. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
I have been using pythons for years and are the best option for me and works on all cams. I run 13 currently and although on private, still don't want them stolen.

DMD

I have been using pythons for years and are the best option for me and works on all cams. I run 13 currently and although on private, still don't want them stolen.
Yea..i think that's best option. I've been using them for many years. It just gripes me that if I buy them in bulk, so I can have them all keyed the same, they are more expensive than buying individually. Why??

backyardtndeer

Python cable locks are all I have ever used, and I have used them for a long time. I have 5 or 6 of them. Only ever had an issue with one of them, began slipping and won't lock positively when you pull it tight.

themanpcl

Yea..i think that's best option. I've been using them for many years. It just gripes me that if I buy them in bulk, so I can have them all keyed the same, they are more expensive than buying individually. Why??
agreed. it is harder to bulk group keying than it is to ship random from the stock. i have a whole keychain of marked python keys...lol look like my elementary school janitors key ring...lol

DMD

agreed. it is harder to bulk group keying than it is to ship random from the stock. i have a whole keychain of marked python keys...lol look like my elementary school janitors key ring...lol
🤣Me too. I've probably got 30 on a key ring. I finally put them all in numerical order...that helped a lot.

BSK

I know this will sound stupid, but I marked all mine with different colors of nail polish. Because of Halloween parties and the like, my wife and daughter each have dozens of odd fingernail polish colors. So I just used the most radical colors to paint a section of the lock and the head of the key that matches that lock. Makes finding the right key a lot easier.

Ski

I know this will sound stupid, but I marked all mine with different colors of nail polish. Because of Halloween parties and the like, my wife and daughter each have dozens of odd fingernail polish colors. So I just used the most radical colors to paint a section of the lock and the head of the key that matches that lock. Makes finding the right key a lot easier.

I use colored sharpies with numbers. Works well enough and colors let me quickly identify them.

DMD

I use colored sharpies with numbers. Works well enough and colors let me quickly identify them.
That's what I do. I write the number on the lock portion of Python cable and have my keys in numerical order. It works pretty good. But, it be so nice to have them all keyed the same.

themanpcl

i use colored zip ties

MS_Strut

Got a trail camera for Christmas this year. Have never even hung one before. Hung it near a fresh rub the Tuesday after Christmas on some TVA land and went back to the spot the following Friday to swap out SD cards while I was around.

Thought it was away enough that no one would mess with it and come to find out someone came in and stole the SD card out of it. But left the camera. Dumb of me to assume I guess.

I was furious. One, because everyone hates a thief but mainly just because I was excited to check for photos from the very first camera I've ever hung.

Obviously, it's better than them stealing the camera. Was just shocked they would leave the camera but take the SD card. Can't figure out what the mindset is there if you are a thief and just take the SD card.

Are they trying to keep me from seeing a deer they are after? That's all I could come up with.

Lt.Dan

Got a trail camera for Christmas this year. Have never even hung one before. Hung it near a fresh rub the Tuesday after Christmas on some TVA land and went back to the spot the following Friday to swap out SD cards while I was around.

Thought it was away enough that no one would mess with it and come to find out someone came in and stole the SD card out of it. But left the camera. Dumb of me to assume I guess.

I was furious. One, because everyone hates a thief but mainly just because I was excited to check for photos from the very first camera I've ever hung.

Obviously, it's better than them stealing the camera. Was just shocked they would leave the camera but take the SD card. Can't figure out what the mindset is there if you are a thief and just take the SD card.

Are they trying to keep me from seeing a deer they are after? That's all I could come up with.
They are trying to keep themselves from being seen most likely. You should put a lock on the cam and also lock it to the tree. I'm with you on hating thieves. If you don't mind saying, what piece of TVA land? You can PM me if you want that info more private. I have had up to 5 camera's out on TVA land and nobody ever messed with them. Some smiling waving faces, some oblivious passers-by, but nobody ever messed around the with the camera's. I always use dog chains and padlocks or Python cable locks.

MS_Strut

They are trying to keep themselves from being seen most likely. You should put a lock on the cam and also lock it to the tree. I'm with you on hating thieves. If you don't mind saying, what piece of TVA land? You can PM me if you want that info more private. I have had up to 5 camera's out on TVA land and nobody ever messed with them. Some smiling waving faces, some oblivious passers-by, but nobody ever messed around the with the camera's. I always use dog chains and padlocks or Python cable locks.
Well, I tried to find a PM option but couldn't find it anywhere. Last weekend of the season so really doesn't matter I don't guess and isn't some small tuck that is hard to find or get to. It's out near Sequoyah.

There is a blind setup that is about 75 yards from where I hung it. I didn't notice it before. Thought about sitting on it but not worth a confrontation in the woods over SD card and possible photos. Not like they would admit to it if I asked them anyway.

I was too eager to get a Python lock and figured 3 days out there would be safe. Guess not. Even thought about putting a second camera back on it and out of line of sight hoping they'd come by again. Then I realized I was more concerned about this thief than finding a deer.

I am going to get a lock for sure now but I just pulled the camera that day and moved it somewhere else on a different property and have had some action on it. Now I have it back on my private property that has deer but not able to hunt it. Just for pics now.

Lt.Dan

Well, I tried to find a PM option but couldn't find it anywhere. Last weekend of the season so really doesn't matter I don't guess and isn't some small tuck that is hard to find or get to. It's out near Sequoyah.

There is a blind setup that is about 75 yards from where I hung it. I didn't notice it before. Thought about sitting on it but not worth a confrontation in the woods over SD card and possible photos. Not like they would admit to it if I asked them anyway.

I was too eager to get a Python lock and figured 3 days out there would be safe. Guess not. Even thought about putting a second camera back on it and out of line of sight hoping they'd come by again. Then I realized I was more concerned about this thief than finding a deer.

I am going to get a lock for sure now but I just pulled the camera that day and moved it somewhere else on a different property and have had some action on it. Now I have it back on my private property that has deer but not able to hunt it. Just for pics now.
As you said, at least they left the camera. I used to hunt out on Chickamauga WMA and had camera's out there at one time. The blind I built, I tore down because people kept leaving trash in it. It has been rebuilt the last time I went out there. That was 2 years ago. Sorry they took your card. I remember checking cams for the first time. The anticipation is great and when you get a good pic, that's what it is all about.

Latest posts