Thoughts on the Moultrie Mobile Edge Cellular Cam?

J.A.F.O.

IMG_0265.jpeg

Bought 2 of the Edge's over the holidays and finally got up to the farm in VA yesterday and put one up. From the test pics and videos the resolution was really good. I like the fact they use the strongest locally available signal and deal with that cell company and I just deal with them. Not having to check cards should keep my intrusions down. So far so good…I'll keep y'all posted periodically.

megalomaniac

I have 2 deltas and they have been great so far. 1 is over a year old and ran 1 year and 2 months on the same alkaline batteries.
to be fair.. I only had experience with two.

I bought one and it never worked correctly out of the box; just returned it
Friend bought one for my farm and it worked intermittently for about a week, then quit transmitting due to killing all the lithium batteries. Replaced with fresh ones, and they were dead in another week.

0/2 is all I needed to know to not buy another one.

cecil30-30

Friend bought one for my farm and it worked intermittently for about a week, then quit transmitting due to killing all the lithium batteries. Replaced with fresh ones, and they were dead in another week.

That is bad luck and don't blame you. My second one I bought I did have to contact moultrie because it wouldn't connect. Ended up needing a firmware update, moultrie guy emailed it to me, I downloaded it to the SD card I used in the camera and it fixed it right up.

CrossVolle

I had 2 as well. Both trash. Worst night time photos of any camera i have ever ran.

deerhunter10

Bought 2. Not impressed. Takes forever to get a video back. They aren't good on batteries. The app is annoying and cluttered. Don't take very good pictures unless they are within like 8 ft of the camera at night. Tactacams are way better cameras in my experience. But many better cameras on the market. The night time pictures and the app and the time you wait for a video (up to 24 hours) some never came is the biggest problem with them.

kaizen leader

IMG_5764.jpeg
IMG_5769.jpeg
IMG_5397.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg

I bought 3 over a year ago. One was damaged by someone and another stolen. Bought another one a few months ago. They eat batteries if there are no steady cell signals. I guess looking for one to upload pictures and videos. You have to wait different amounts of time to get uploaded videos. Never more than 24 hours many times just a few hours. Pictures come right away with good cell signal. I bought a larger external batter and wires to connect it. Put the battery in a amo box and it lasts for months. The other one I've got a great signal and us the internal batteries. That seams to last for a couple months or more. I haven't run out yet. Apparently videos and signal are the variables for battery life. I have one mounted about 12' up so it won't get stolen or damaged. I am happy with Edge. I'd buy them again. Basic is very reasonable $. Videos, not too bad.
Very easy setup. I think the pictures are pretty good. No difference in HD. Videos are amazing.
Good luck.

bowhunt25

As for the cams batteries dieing so quickly, my experience is that the cell service for said area is weak thus draining your battery. Like your phone for example, if you don't have good service and try to use it continuously then your battery on your phone drains quickly. Moultrie in my opinion is the best there is as long as you use lithium batteries

@fulldraw

I haven't used lithium in any of my edges. I had one in a bottom where the tactacam wouldn't get signal. I had Duracell pro cell batteries and they lasted Aug-Nov before replacing. It was over a trail and scrape so quite few pictures were sent. Of the six I have, three months is the shortest I've had to replace batteries and that was with powermax from amazon . 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'll sell my four tactacams and get more edges.

@fulldraw

So everyone knows, requested hi res pics and videos will be sent on the next contact from camera. This means if your next pic isn't for 12 hrs that's how long it'll take to receive the request.

Livin2hunt

To add. My dealings with their customer service has been top notch. Some of my older (6000i series)cell cams have had a few problems and they have gone out of their way to either fix or replace these cameras. I've been very pleased. I have some cams that have gone now well over a year on same batteries.

megalomaniac

As for the cams batteries dieing so quickly, my experience is that the cell service for said area is weak thus draining your battery. Like your phone for example, if you don't have good service and try to use it continuously then your battery on your phone drains quickly. Moultrie in my opinion is the best there is as long as you use lithium batteries
Nope, 4-5 bars at this location. We figured out after the 2nd set of batteries the camera shutter was sticking open and the camera was trying to close it which caused the batteries to drain in 1 week.

Not saying the Delta is junk. Only saying the 2 I had personal experience were junk. With so many other reliable cell cams out there, I just don't see myself trying another moultrie cell cam.

megalomaniac

To add. My dealings with their customer service has been top notch. Some of my older (6000i series)cell cams have had a few problems and they have gone out of their way to either fix or replace these cameras. I've been very pleased. I have some cams that have gone now well over a year on same batteries.
I also have two of the 7000i series cell cams. One worked (and is still working) flawlessly right out of the box for past 4 years. The other worked great for about 3 months, then camera shutter issue draining batteries. Sent it back, they replaced it immediately. The replacement worked great for about 6 months, then camera shutter sticking open again. Didn't bother returning it, just trashed it and switched to stealth cams.

Last edited:

Livin2hunt

I also have two of the 7000i series cell cams. One worked (and is still working) flawlessly right out of the box for past 4 years. The other worked great for about 3 months, then camera shutter issue draining batteries. Sent it back, they replaced it immediately. The replacement worked great for about 6 months, then camera shutter sticking open again. Didn't bother returning it, just trashed it and switched to stealth cams.
I have 4 of those still going from the first year they came out that I'm starting to see some issues in too as u mentioned about the shutter being froze. I ended up calling about some of them to get fixed and got a couple discounted edge pros to start playing with.

kaizen leader

I have 4 of those still going from the first year they came out that I'm starting to see some issues in too as u mentioned about the shutter being froze. I ended up calling about some of them to get fixed and got a couple discounted edge pros to start playing with.
Who. Makes the 7000i?

Livin2hunt

Who. Makes the 7000i?
Moultrie' s old discontinued cell cams. These were the 150.00 or so cams back in the day.
1000003658.jpg
The 7000 and 6000 series went away when moultrie came out with the base cams that caused them so many problems. I used to go to moultries refurb site and buy these for around 70.00 and had very good luck with them.

kaizen leader

Moultrie' s old discontinued cell cams. These were the 150.00 or so cams back in the day.View attachment 214670The 7000 and 6000 series went away when moultrie came out with the base cams that caused them so many problems. I used to go to moultries refurb site and buy these for around 70.00 and had very good luck with them.
Thanks. I never heard of them.

Latest posts