Best black-flash still images (non-cellular)?

BSK

My brother just found that the trail-camera he uses to get pictures of mule deer, javelina and mountain lions at his backyard water tank has died (New Mexico, not TN!). He does not want cellular and doesn't need video. He just wants the best day and black-flash night images he can get. Any recommendations? I love my Browning cams, but mostly for the incredible video. I'm not as thrilled with their night-time still images (a bit grainy).

deerhunter10

I haven't used them as I have brownings regularly cameras to. But reconyx uses a black out ir not sure if that something he would be interested in or not and spartan has their version of the same. I would put those 2 above anyone's else's anyways. But they aren't black flash. So many manufacturers are gearing towards cell cameras the non cellular aren't offering as many features it doesn't seem. Except brownings they still offer several models and features of non cellular. Most of the other manufacturers I wouldny trust honestly.

JCDEERMAN

For non-cell cameras, we have 3 Reconyx, 1 bushnell, 15 browning, 8 muddy, 1 moultrie, 1 cuddebac. All less than $200 (except the Reconyx cameras) and I still like the Browning's more than any.

As @deerhunter10 mentioned, I suspect Reconyx has really stepped up their quality of pics. Mine are old - 2007, 2013 and 2014 models.

BSK

Noticed the Browning Dark Ops Pro DCL is considered one of the best cams for taking night-time black-flash still images. Only downside is it does this through a longer exposure time, which means it produces more motion blur on moving objects.

TheLBLman

Noticed the Browning Dark Ops Pro DCL is considered one of the best cams for taking night-time black-flash still images. Only downside is it does this through a longer exposure time, which means it produces more motion blur on moving objects.
And that my friends, is the usual trade-off.

For a few years, I shunned anything that wasn't true black flash,
and @ half my cams are black flash (mainly for security purposes more than wildlife).

However, for maybe the past 2 or 3 years, I've been please with the Browning cams that are not true black flash. I just set the flash level to "low" or "economy" mode, and still get a comparable range to true black flash, but typically with less blurring. The advantage to these "low-glow red" flash cams is you have the option for longer ranges in fields (if desired), they cost less upfront, and their battery life is longer.

Hard to beat a GardePro A5. Superb pic quality both day and night, and less than $100 on Amazon.

I obtained two GardePros last year to give a fair "testing" shake.
For the money, they're certainly not bad, and do take good pics.
But I have not been impressed with their programming options, initially a bit mislead that they had "advanced" field scan modes (which they do not).

I've tried several brands of cams over the years.
These GardePros (models I have) are one of the worst when it comes to being user friendly, i.e. a bit different than most other brands.

These are the GardePro units I have, and my friends at TCP do give them overall good reviews.

I'm just less impressed than they.
Trigger speed is a bit on the slow side.
And the time-lapse option is anything but "advanced".

Last edited:

Ski

Do you have any pictures to share? I may be interested in one of these. Thanks

Here is a day and night pic of same buck in same spot. The videos are even better than the pics. I don't use the timelapse or field scan functions BSK mentions so I cannot comment one way or the other on those aspects. I only use mine in basic picture or video mode and in those functions I can't say I've ever had a better cam. The way I've got them set up the animal is most generally in frame and often center frame so I've got nothing to complain about. For a sub $100 camera I don't think you could go wrong.

1708052015959.jpeg

1708052037481.jpeg

Ski

Here are a couple vids, one at night and one in daylight. Both very clear and the sound is fantastic. In the night vid you can hear the buck breathing, his head rubbing the tree, and a siren from an ambulance passing by. In the day vid you can hear very audible grunting. Again, for a sub $100 camera I am tickled pink.

Ski

I'd opt for the Browning Dark ops (max hd)... mostly for reliability out of the box. $70 from brownings website usually

Normally I'd agree but I bought 4 of them in July directly from Browning, and only one works. Three of them take pics as fast as they can until card is full. Called them last week and they have me trying an experiment to see if changing settings can make a difference. I'll find out next time I check cams.

That said I have several of that camera and aside from the most recent three that were duds, the others are out year round and work flawlessly. As do most other Browning cams I've tried.

Ski

Dang Ski! Those are really good images and videos from such a cheap camera.

Yessir I was very surprised. LBL mentioned them in another thread some time back and at the time Trailcampro had them for $100. I bought one to try and was blown away with how nice they were. Now they're on Amazon for well under $100. I've bought several and they all work well so far.

JCDEERMAN

Normally I'd agree but I bought 4 of them in July directly from Browning, and only one works. Three of them take pics as fast as they can until card is full. Called them last week and they have me trying an experiment to see if changing settings can make a difference. I'll find out next time I check cams.

That said I have several of that camera and aside from the most recent three that were duds, the others are out year round and work flawlessly. As do most other Browning cams I've tried.
Go on the browning website and go to the "contact us" section and leave a message for them and your email. They will email you directly. They will have you send them in - they have a 1 year warranty, so jump on it. I've sent 3 back just this year. All were returned repaired. They have great CS! Heck, one was 6 years old

Ski

Go on the browning website and go to the "contact us" section and leave a message for them and your email. They will email you directly. They will have you send them in - they have a 1 year warranty, so jump on it. I've sent 3 back just this year. All were returned repaired. They have great CS! Heck, one was 6 years old

Yessir they're great. I called them and the tech asked if I'd be willing to try the resetting experiment and report back. So next time I check cams I'll let them know what's going on. Super helpful and seemed genuinely curious to know what was going on with the cams.

JDUB

Exodus makes a pretty good black flash easy to use camera. I have been pleased with my 2.

BSK

My brother ended up getting a Browning Dark Ops Pro DCL. He sent me a few pics, and the night-time illumination is great and pics are very crisp. I would definitely recommend it as a good black-flash still image camera.

Latest posts