Black flash Cell Cam Recommendation

TheLBLman

TheLBLman said:
I started the cell cam testing when Covert came out with their first unit a few years ago. That soured me on cell cams, as it ate thru its lithium batteries monthly, and simply didn't reliably work.
My starting point with cellular cameras as well. Same experience here with them, and same perception of them to date. Not a fan, but have not tested any of the newer models.
Those 1st generation Covert cell cams were certainly a huge disappointment.
But in all fairness, part of the problem was the poorer cell service in general of that era.
Covert was ahead of the curve, by perhaps years.

When Browning came out with their 1st generation cell cam (believe was 2018) I field tested a couple, and was just truly amazed at how well they worked. Their very 1st entry was a black-flash, high-performance unit, that imo, topped everything else out there at the time. One of those original two has been running continuously ever since, and remains totally reliable. The other was as well until the sim card just recently died. I'm expected to replace that sim card and get yet more service from that unit.

My only complaint of those 1st generation Browning black-flash cell cams was they required 16 AA lithium batteries, and when set for high performance (with instant pic uploads), could only get @ 3 months battery life. Have since learned "scheduled" uploads over "instant" will greatly extend battery life, as will changing your settings to taking fewer pics at night. I'm now getting 5 to 7 months battery life from the 1st generation Brownings, and twice that from the 2nd generation.

Regardless of brand, each new "generation" will generally have greater battery life. This is truly amazing as I think back to my days using early non-cell cams with "D" sized batteries that had to be replaced at least monthly, as did the 35mm film limiting me to only 24 to 36 pics in between field servicing. My 2nd generation Browning cell cams ("Pro Scout" models), several years old now, but only need the batteries replaced about once a year (plus then only require 8 AAs!).

BSK

I also field tested two of those.
At the time, they had some of the best imagery I'd ever seen on a trail cam.
But quality control was very lacking, both of mine quickly "died on the vine".
Mine generally lasted about 2 years on average. But like you said, best black-flash images on the market at the time.

In my garage somewhere I've got an entire box full of dead trail-cams. I certainly went through them!

That's why I'm so thrilled with the Brownings. The ones I have have lasted, and - knock-on-wood - haven't had a single failure.

JAY B

May be worth it for you to give BlackGate cell cams a look, I started running 5 of there R4G lite models in august and have been very pleased , may end up switching all my Tactacams over to blackgate , plans are super cheap as well. Btw I have nothing to do with them other than being honest about my experience. Here are a couple of reference pics before I sent them to the woods .

Attachments

• D3396455-E375-4E78-A1A5-C3160B1904A3.jpeg
    D3396455-E375-4E78-A1A5-C3160B1904A3.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 38
  • 43B8C00C-3B60-466D-9FEC-5F533AD985D7.png
    43B8C00C-3B60-466D-9FEC-5F533AD985D7.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 34

Hduke86

May be worth it for you to give BlackGate cell cams a look, I started running 5 of there R4G lite models in august and have been very pleased , may end up switching all my Tactacams over to blackgate , plans are super cheap as well. Btw I have nothing to do with them other than being honest about my experience. Here are a couple of reference pics before I sent them to the woods .
That place is looking good brother. I love the color of the shop doors

TN Larry

Thanks for the info. These do have good reviews and decent plans. Couple of questions:

- Are these black flash? I assume they are since they say No glow flash.

- How many batteries does it take?

- What does the night pics look like?

JAY B

Thanks for the info. These do have good reviews and decent plans. Couple of questions:

- Are these black flash? I assume they are since they say No glow flash.

- How many batteries does it take?

- What does the night pics look like?
no flash, 8 aa batteries and so far battery life is pretty good,night pics ok for the price point, transition pics are tough at times like most cell cams, here is a reference pic , tree is about 50' from camera

Attachments

• AE432767-C8B0-44BA-8684-64F63E2780D4.jpeg
    AE432767-C8B0-44BA-8684-64F63E2780D4.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Latest posts