The reason there were so many leftover blinds

Smashdn

Understand that some are still able to be hopped. But if the best blind on the lake (tier 1 I'm assuming) doesnt have someone in it, how is it ok to ticket someone that wants the "opportunity" to hunt that blind? Put your name in the barrel, do the work. If you want to hunt 2-4 days a year in another part of the state get a professional guide - with far better results. Not to mention the safety factor of never being on the body of water before trying to find a blind in the dark.

The "too much work for 2-4 hunts" don't hold water with me. It's no secret how the old system (and the new in this regard) worked. You draw a season-long blind, you're responsible for getting it hunt ready. If that is "too much work" don't put in. Or do put in, go check out what you lucky enough to draw one, then decide. Some need brush, some need a whole rebuild.

Or go to a tier 4 spot or 200 yards away if you can and hunt.

Nothing in duck hunting I have found is garuanteed.

flyinpro

You need to get with a reputable guide and come hunt a weekend not be worried about trying to draw a spot on public land.
True, finding a "reputable" guide is a key. Last three years we've done that. Best one last year, in two days bagged 5 between 4 of us! Not the guides fault, just no ducks that seems to be a trend. Got some health issues & family concerns this year so, unless I draw a spot we won't go. The cost of living & 4 tanks of gas to drive to WTN under ole Joe has made it tough on two of my sons with kids in going hunting at all.

bluewinged46er

I have been on record from the start of not liking the new system. I still don't. There are a couple of areas where I think it might work OK. But, there are some others where I think it may lead to some deaths due to some potentially very dangerous issues in accessing the draw blinds at times...

I happen to be one that the new system worked well for. Several buddies and I drew a late season blind at Cheatham last year. We killed a few ducks and had a great time. And there was very little chance of getting killed in the process since we could walk/wade/kayak to our blind. We never would have drawn a season long blind at Cheatham, or at least it would have been years. I was happy for the chance to set our own decoys and call our own birds for a couple of days in a agency built blind that was brushed well enough, and was comfortable and roomy. We augmented our Cheatham draw with a trip to Reelfoot with a guide where we got many more birds, but a different experience altogether. Nothing wrong with a 2 or 3 day draw. Nothing wrong with the season long draws either, but I am glad we have options.

tophat

Up until 3 years ago, it was a good system. Since then, a total train wreck. I am confident the new system has cost TWRA (and local small businesses) lost revenue and many hardcore waterfowlers have moved to MIssouri and Arkansas taking sales $ with them. Furthermore, most WMAs are a joke for waterfowl habitat. It's just not worth all the hassle to me.
True but I refuse to let twra take away business from local folks not there fault i still get to hunt everyday and to honest save more money staying home. I get to many invites to go out of state. Spend that money heck i go on some guided hunts be good to go if makes sense

Latest posts