The reason there were so many leftover blinds

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
…is because evidently, if you are a member of more than one party putting in for online blind draws, both parties get disqualified (assuming each party has only 4 people).

I had never heard of this until today. Not necessarily a bad rule, but it should have been made clearer, I think. Feels like that got more people than returning the NOI or

Thankfully, it didn't affect me negatively, since I only put in with one group (and so did the other group members).

Displaced_Vol

Yeah I could see how this could easily be an issue. I had to add my little brother to my party and he rarely hunts. One of his good friends hunts a lot so I could see him also adding little bro to a second party. Better text him…

WilcoKen

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you guys have to go thru all this BS to duck hunt.
Up until 3 years ago, it was a good system. Since then, a total train wreck. I am confident the new system has cost TWRA (and local small businesses) lost revenue and many hardcore waterfowlers have moved to MIssouri and Arkansas taking sales $ with them. Furthermore, most WMAs are a joke for waterfowl habitat. It's just not worth all the hassle to me.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Up until 3 years ago, it was a good system. Since then, a total train wreck. I am confident the new system has cost TWRA (and local small businesses) lost revenue and many hardcore waterfowlers have moved to MIssouri and Arkansas taking sales $ with them. Furthermore, most WMAs are a joke for waterfowl habitat. It's just not worth all the hassle to me.
Yep.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Saddest part about this entire fiasco is they did it to stop the selling / buying of blinds.
Specifically one or two in what I believe they call the Camden bottoms?

Screwed the entire system to stop something nobody gave two squirts of piss about.
Never even HEARD of anyone trying to buy a blind at other places like Gooch but yet they stole the best spots on every WMA.
Makes me sick.

The kickbacks and family or friends that got rich over the $50,000 + duck blinds is an entirely different story too. :mad:

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Saddest part about this entire fiasco is they did it to stop the selling / buying of blinds.

Screwed the entire system to stop something nobody gave two squirts of piss about.
Never even HEARD of anyone trying to buy a blind at other places like Gooch but yet they stole the best spots on every WMA.
Makes me sick.

The kickbacks and family or friends that got rich over the $50,000 + duck blinds is an entirely different story too. :mad:
Couple of specific blinds at Reelfoot, just about any blind in Camden(only a handful were big money, just about any one could be bought/sold for 3-8K, with a couple 12-16K, if you contacted the right people to buy or sell and were at least known to them).

TboneD

Growing up close to Pascagoula MS on the coast although we weren't on the flyway we usually had enough ducks to make it worth the while. That involved me walking down the hill to the canal with Daddy's little 6.5 hp Johnson for our Jon boat and maybe one more trip for my dozen decoys and gun. If the tide was high in the marsh I had a favorite spot where I could pull my boat into some cattails. If low tide, I'd just find a spot where there was cover and hunker down close to my decoys. And if nothing was flying I'd just just spend the morning chasing snipe and marsh hens.

A friend of mine had just about convinced me to try hunting Old Hickory when we could still blind hop during the week, but now? Shoot, there's no way I'd go to the trouble for the hope of so little time in a particular blind. I can understand them wanting to stop the selling of blinds but why did they have to ruin it for the average guy who doesn't have private land somewhere to hunt?

scn

The selling of duck blinds may have been a reason for the new system, but, it was a minor reason. The impetus came from the agency and the Commission continually hearing from hunters in Regions 3 and 4 about having virtually zero public waterfowl hunting opportunities in their regions. It was a continual gripe for decades.

So, rather than trying to spend the millions of dollars they didn't have in the budget to make new waterfowl areas in those regions, they explored trying to give those hunters, and others who where not interested in a year long blind and the trouble/expenses for a hunt or two a little better access to the current waterfowl areas. A scientifically done survey confirmed the interest.

When it came time to make the change, the input they got from the public was pretty much evenly split from the ones for and against. So, they went ahead with the project.

I have been on record from the start of not liking the new system. I still don't. There are a couple of areas where I think it might work OK. But, there are some others where I think it may lead to some deaths due to some potentially very dangerous issues in accessing the draw blinds at times.

I guess I am at the point that I am really tired of the continual bashing of the Agency and/or the Commission over decisions they made in good faith. They didn't do this to try to screw over local waterfowl hunters. They thought they could give a segment of their license buyers a piece of the pie. I totally don't like the fact that some of the best blinds were lost, but, I can also understand the thought process of why they located them where they did in most cases.

And, if someone does have info that there have been kickbacks in the process, here is the anonymous reporting link to the State Comptrollers office to report it: https://apps.cot.tn.gov/ANTS/Submission/Submit

It will be investigated by folks with zero ties to the agency or Commission, and, it they find something, it will be dealt with. I have seen it in action over the years. If all it is slinging mud because you are pissed like I am about the whole deal, then maybe take a step back and think about how you would feel about someone saying bs towards you.

YMMV

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
@scn
I totally understand what you are saying and as you know I respect you and your opinion, more than anyone on here.

With that being said, yeah I'm still mad and will continue to be mad till they change the entire thing back.
I just hope they do it before someone dies.
I understand you know the agency better than the average Joe ever will. I guess the main difference is, I simply do not believe it was done for the reasons you believe they were. I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just saying I don't believe what they say.

I also will NEVER believe their "study" wasn't set up to get the results they wanted.

The kickback is about as hard to prove as the buying of blinds so there's that.

It's all good and when we are smacking ducks in the face this year in Missouri it won't matter. ;)

Tennessee280

Makes me sick.

Sam lashlee was the main one, admits it, doesnt hide it, and twra has never done anything about it. Now sam is the biggest one cryin on fb about some twra guy getting the best and only year long blind in one of the camden fields and an sit and keep an eye on the other blinds to make sure nobody is hopping them when they arent supposed to.. If twra wanted to put a stop to blind buying they knew who to make examples out of but never did...

DeerCamp

The selling of duck blinds may have been a reason for the new system, but, it was a minor reason. The impetus came from the agency and the Commission continually hearing from hunters in Regions 3 and 4 about having virtually zero public waterfowl hunting opportunities in their regions. It was a continual gripe for decades.

So, rather than trying to spend the millions of dollars they didn't have in the budget to make new waterfowl areas in those regions, they explored trying to give those hunters, and others who where not interested in a year long blind and the trouble/expenses for a hunt or two a little better access to the current waterfowl areas. A scientifically done survey confirmed the interest.

When it came time to make the change, the input they got from the public was pretty much evenly split from the ones for and against. So, they went ahead with the project.

I have been on record from the start of not liking the new system. I still don't. There are a couple of areas where I think it might work OK. But, there are some others where I think it may lead to some deaths due to some potentially very dangerous issues in accessing the draw blinds at times.

I guess I am at the point that I am really tired of the continual bashing of the Agency and/or the Commission over decisions they made in good faith. They didn't do this to try to screw over local waterfowl hunters. They thought they could give a segment of their license buyers a piece of the pie. I totally don't like the fact that some of the best blinds were lost, but, I can also understand the thought process of why they located them where they did in most cases.

And, if someone does have info that there have been kickbacks in the process, here is the anonymous reporting link to the State Comptrollers office to report it: https://apps.cot.tn.gov/ANTS/Submission/Submit

It will be investigated by folks with zero ties to the agency or Commission, and, it they find something, it will be dealt with. I have seen it in action over the years. If all it is slinging mud because you are pissed like I am about the whole deal, then maybe take a step back and think about how you would feel about someone saying bs towards you.

YMMV
There's always more to the story, but it's easier to just read a headline and be pissed.

West_Tn

I took this so called scientific survey and can tell you first hand it was complete BS and completely biased in favor of the change.

Crappie Hunter

I haven't duck hunted in middle TN in quite some time due to the lack of ducks. I havent kept up with all of this, but if I understand it correctly, y'all are saying that if there is a blind on Old Hickory that doesn't have someone in it that you will get a ticket for hunting it?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I haven't duck hunted in middle TN in quite some time due to the lack of ducks. I havent kept up with all of this, but if I understand it correctly, y'all are saying that if there is a blind on Old Hickory that doesn't have someone in it that you will get a ticket for hunting it?
Only a tier 2 blind

WilcoKen

Correct--as Gunsmoke said, Tier 2. So they just sit there empty MOST of the time. Not good use of a $35,000 blind (metal shed, really).