The reason there were so many leftover blinds

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I will say, it'd be tough to imagine how to sell blinds with this year's system. The seller would have to be able to hunt it, too, unless the buyer were already in the application group…and they can only be in one, apparently.

I don't mind working with this system; it's been a painful process of unforeseen pitfalls. But if everyone understands how it works, everyone can work with it (and statistically, there will be more people who have a chance to hunt reserved blind spots as a result—just this year, setting the minimum party size at 4 should itself make a difference in # days blinds go unhunted).

But I simply never saw anything explicitly stipulating someone can only be in a single draw party—and that includes the leftover drawings! Even the TWRA officers conducting the drawing said they were at the last minute told that they could not award blinds to individuals (had to be the information of all 4+ party members in the system), and that if any individual was on the list for more than one leftover blind, there was a good chance both the leftover blind and any blind they previously drew online (if applicable) could be forfeited.

EchotaClovis

…is because evidently, if you are a member of more than one party putting in for online blind draws, both parties get disqualified (assuming each party has only 4 people).

I had never heard of this until today. Not necessarily a bad rule, but it should have been made clearer, I think. Feels like that got more people than returning the NOI or

Thankfully, it didn't affect me negatively, since I only put in with one group (and so did the other group members).
I bet people added family members that rarely hunt, without their knowledge—but so did someone else. Grandpa or little Jimmy's TWRA number may be in high demand this time of year.
Sounds like there are a bunch of democrat duck hunters.

woodyard

I have no use for them after they manipulated answers on my after hunt survey. I still wonder how many they did that too in order to make the economics look good for their new system. They may have done some house cleaning , but I doubt enough.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have no use for them after they manipulated answers on my after hunt survey. I still wonder how many they did that too in order to make the economics look good for their new system. They may have done some house cleaning , but I doubt enough.
Exactly!!!

cmn

The selling of duck blinds may have been a reason for the new system, but, it was a minor reason. The impetus came from the agency and the Commission continually hearing from hunters in Regions 3 and 4 about having virtually zero public waterfowl hunting opportunities in their regions. It was a continual gripe for decades.

So, rather than trying to spend the millions of dollars they didn't have in the budget to make new waterfowl areas in those regions, they explored trying to give those hunters, and others who where not interested in a year long blind and the trouble/expenses for a hunt or two a little better access to the current waterfowl areas. A scientifically done survey confirmed the interest.

When it came time to make the change, the input they got from the public was pretty much evenly split from the ones for and against. So, they went ahead with the project.

I have been on record from the start of not liking the new system. I still don't. There are a couple of areas where I think it might work OK. But, there are some others where I think it may lead to some deaths due to some potentially very dangerous issues in accessing the draw blinds at times.

I guess I am at the point that I am really tired of the continual bashing of the Agency and/or the Commission over decisions they made in good faith. They didn't do this to try to screw over local waterfowl hunters. They thought they could give a segment of their license buyers a piece of the pie. I totally don't like the fact that some of the best blinds were lost, but, I can also understand the thought process of why they located them where they did in most cases.

And, if someone does have info that there have been kickbacks in the process, here is the anonymous reporting link to the State Comptrollers office to report it: https://apps.cot.tn.gov/ANTS/Submission/Submit

It will be investigated by folks with zero ties to the agency or Commission, and, it they find something, it will be dealt with. I have seen it in action over the years. If all it is slinging mud because you are pissed like I am about the whole deal, then maybe take a step back and think about how you would feel about someone saying bs towards you.

YMMV
Like anything else now, especially politics. I support what TWRA is trying to do. I hope they can find a happy medium where hunters can meet and be somewhat satisfied. I hate the fact that people have "lost" traditions and have bad feelings over the changes. Can't please all and never will. People calling my house and threatening to "beat my ass" because I was lucky to draw a blind? I stated that if anyone wanted to hunt it let me know a date and they could go. Crickets on takers. The new attitude expressed in the US is troublesome enough without it spilling over into our recreational outdoor pursuits. Sorry for the soapbox...Good luck to all this season, wherever you choose to hunt. I truly mean this...

Tennessee280

Like anything else now, especially politics. I support what TWRA is trying to do. I hope they can find a happy medium where hunters can meet and be somewhat satisfied. I hate the fact that people have "lost" traditions and have bad feelings over the changes. Can't please all and never will. People calling my house and threatening to "beat my ass" because I was lucky to draw a blind? I stated that if anyone wanted to hunt it let me know a date and they could go. Crickets on takers. The new attitude expressed in the US is troublesome enough without it spilling over into our recreational outdoor pursuits. Sorry for the soapbox...Good luck to all this season, wherever you choose to hunt. I truly mean this...
dang, i need to hear more on this story!

Crappie Hunter

Thanks for the clarification. As stated, I haven't kept up with this, so i do not understand the "tier" designation. The fact that anyone thinks that this is the right way to do things is beyond me. You can't make it right no matter how you twist it. It's just a way to keep folks from killing ducks, and write tickets. I honestly don't see how they are keeping any blinds at all with these rules. If a group of guys hops an empty blind and gets a ticket for it, I could see that turning into a fire real quick. Just when you think they (TWRA) can't possibly screw anything up any worse than they have Reelfoot, there's this. Some of the most memorable hunts I've ever been on have been when we just dumped the boat in and hopped a blind. The fact that the oportunity to make memories like that is gone is unacceptable. More government over reach and pocket lining.

cmn

Thanks for the clarification. As stated, I haven't kept up with this, so i do not understand the "tier" designation. The fact that anyone thinks that this is the right way to do things is beyond me. You can't make it right no matter how you twist it. It's just a way to keep folks from killing ducks, and write tickets. I honestly don't see how they are keeping any blinds at all with these rules. If a group of guys hops an empty blind and gets a ticket for it, I could see that turning into a fire real quick. Just when you think they (TWRA) can't possibly screw anything up any worse than they have Reelfoot, there's this. Some of the most memorable hunts I've ever been on have been when we just dumped the boat in and hopped a blind. The fact that the oportunity to make memories like that is gone is unacceptable. More government over reach and pocket lining.
don't not go...still many blinds can be hopped. Very few that can't

younggun308

2-Step Enabled

Not true that they made season-long blinds (which are the overwhelming majority at a place like Reelfoot) "unhoppable;" someone told you wrong.

flyinpro

Ouch! That's sick. I just can't keep up with all this stuff. Tier 2,3 ect…. I'm a guy who would just like to have a spot in WTN to hunt 2-3 times a year. I hunt ETN, but it's a lot of work and trouble to see park fed ducks fly at 300' as for the most part it's a duck waste land up here. Some years are better than others.

I have drawn squat thus far. Stay well all.

drake799

Ouch! That's sick. I just can't keep up with all this stuff. Tier 2,3 ect…. I'm a guy who would just like to have a spot in WTN to hunt 2-3 times a year. I hunt ETN, but it's a lot of work and trouble to see park fed ducks fly at 300' as for the most part it's a duck waste land up here. Some years are better than others.

I have drawn squat thus far. Stay well all.
You need to get with a reputable guide and come hunt a weekend not be worried about trying to draw a spot on public land.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'm a guy who would just like to have a spot in WTN to hunt 2-3 times a year.

The new system is largely in response to the basic fact, that a season-long blind (the old system) is way too much work for just 2-3 hunts a year.

Instead, you either draw a blind you can hunt for 2-4 days without the responsibility and cost of a season-long blind, or get a priority point to up your chances for next season.

And I disagree that the new system is especially complicated; in a nutshell:

Tier 1 - You can draw a season-long blind in August, online (Tier 1). You're responsible for building/brushing if you draw it. If you draw and turn in an NOI, you're done with any applications for the year.

Tier 2/3 - If you don't draw a Tier 1, you get 3 chances to apply to draw a 2-4 day hunt. Deadlines for each drawing (including leftover drawings) are on pg. 32-33 of the 2022 Hunting Guide.
4EDAA10A-007F-415D-9732-58DA17F3E239.jpeg

A4C81E11-B9D8-4AD5-9406-17B75D20ADA9.jpeg

West_Tn

The new system is largely in response to the basic fact, that a season-long blind (the old system) is way too much work for just 2-3 hunts a year.

Instead, you either draw a blind you can hunt for 2-4 days without the responsibility and cost of a season-long blind, or get a priority point to up your chances for next season.

And I disagree that the new system is especially complicated; in a nutshell:

Tier 1 - You can draw a season-long blind in August, online (Tier 1). You're responsible for building/brushing if you draw it. If you draw and turn in an NOI, you're done with any applications for the year.

Tier 2/3 - If you don't draw a Tier 1, you get 3 chances to apply to draw a 2-4 day hunt. Deadlines for each drawing (including leftover drawings) are on pg. 32-33 of the 2022 Hunting Guide.View attachment 156605
View attachment 156606
All that to explain.....VS the old way. Put name in barrel and done.

Crappie Hunter

Understand that some are still able to be hopped. But if the best blind on the lake (tier 1 I'm assuming) doesnt have someone in it, how is it ok to ticket someone that wants the "opportunity" to hunt that blind? Put your name in the barrel, do the work. If you want to hunt 2-4 days a year in another part of the state get a professional guide - with far better results. Not to mention the safety factor of never being on the body of water before trying to find a blind in the dark.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
All that to explain.....VS the old way. Put name in barrel and done.

lol @ "all that…"

it doesn't take a college degree to understand the new system. As sportsmen, we already have to have a baby law degree to understand big game and waterfowl regs to begin with.

West_Tn

lol @ "all that…"

it doesn't take a college degree to understand the new system. As sportsmen, we already have to have a baby law degree to understand big game and waterfowl regs to begin with.
I understand it all perfectly fine.

Yes I said "All that" because there is a lot.

Tier 1
- Have to have 4 people in your party or disqualification.
- If drawn you have to send in a letter of intent or be disqualified.
- If drawn, after season you must send in a survey by a certain date or you are disqualified from next season's draw.
- Blinds hoppable- YES

Tier 2
- Have to have 4 people in your party or disqualification.
- If drawn you have to send in a letter of intent or be disqualified.
- If drawn, after season you must send in a survey by a certain date or you are disqualified from next season's draw.
- REPEAT STEPS 2 MORE TIMES.
- Blinds hoppable - NO

So yea...all that ^^ Versus...

- Show up first Saturday of August.
- Drop card in barrel.

Smashdn

The selling of duck blinds may have been a reason for the new system, but, it was a minor reason. The impetus came from the agency and the Commission continually hearing from hunters in Regions 3 and 4 about having virtually zero public waterfowl hunting opportunities in their regions. It was a continual gripe for decades.

So, rather than trying to spend the millions of dollars they didn't have in the budget to make new waterfowl areas in those regions, they explored trying to give those hunters, and others who where not interested in a year long blind and the trouble/expenses for a hunt or two a little better access to the current waterfowl areas. A scientifically done survey confirmed the interest.

When it came time to make the change, the input they got from the public was pretty much evenly split from the ones for and against. So, they went ahead with the project.

I have been on record from the start of not liking the new system. I still don't. There are a couple of areas where I think it might work OK. But, there are some others where I think it may lead to some deaths due to some potentially very dangerous issues in accessing the draw blinds at times.

I guess I am at the point that I am really tired of the continual bashing of the Agency and/or the Commission over decisions they made in good faith. They didn't do this to try to screw over local waterfowl hunters. They thought they could give a segment of their license buyers a piece of the pie. I totally don't like the fact that some of the best blinds were lost, but, I can also understand the thought process of why they located them where they did in most cases.

And, if someone does have info that there have been kickbacks in the process, here is the anonymous reporting link to the State Comptrollers office to report it: https://apps.cot.tn.gov/ANTS/Submission/Submit

It will be investigated by folks with zero ties to the agency or Commission, and, it they find something, it will be dealt with. I have seen it in action over the years. If all it is slinging mud because you are pissed like I am about the whole deal, then maybe take a step back and think about how you would feel about someone saying bs towards you.

YMMV

Any survey question that asks something along the lines of, "Do you support creating additional opportunities..." is going to get support.

I wonder if the survey was sent around asking would you rather have the current processes or the former, there would be more support for the former.

But the idea is "too big to fail" and at this point they are spending good money on bad money decisions. 53k for this tier 2 blinds, plus continual brushing? Get out of here with that noise twra.

I also really appreciate them blocking non-resident hunters from the tier 1 draw while the tier 1 blinds on the wma I frequent are being burned and not rebuilt.

I told you guys we went through this in ky. They added restrictions on the blinds. The hunting quality overall went down for a myriad of reasons. The blinds, save for a handful, weren't being made "hunt ready." That was the initial ammo and evidence for kdfwr to say, "See? They don't utilize these blinds anyway, we are justified in doing away with them and the drawings." Now they are gone and you are left with first-come, first-serve (which I like overall) but these spots are darn near impossible to hunt without a blind. Can't get a boat to them until there is backwater. Bottomless mud so can't wade or use a swamp seat. We used canoes and kayaks to work decoys and hunted from the blinds.

Latest posts