The Old Gun Surprised Me

Tennessee Lead

Update on my NEF fixed full barrel .410.
I was able to pattern and line it up Sunday with the Federal 9's at 40 yards.
Obviously it's not as concentrated as a tighter choked .410 and the ammunition can be improved greatly but it's what I have on hand for this season. It definitely surprised me I didn't think it would do what it did at 40 laser ranged yards.
Again it definitely has room to improve maybe I will have it cut and threaded for a choke tube at some point. I think first I will accumulate the materials to hand load 9.5's or 10's and see what it does before I do.
Regardless I feel confident carrying it Saturday morning on our opener.
Pre-longbeards and shooting lead in the 12 gauge I would have been tickled to death with the pattern.
IMG_4780.jpeg
IMG_4710.jpeg
IMG_4709.jpeg

Bell3wv

Update on my NEF fixed full barrel .410.
I was able to pattern and line it up Sunday with the Federal 9's at 40 yards.
Obviously it's not as concentrated as a tighter choked .410 and the ammunition can be improved greatly but it's what I have on hand for this season. It definitely surprised me I didn't think it would do what it did at 40 laser ranged yards.
Again it definitely has room to improve maybe I will have it cut and threaded for a choke tube at some point. I think first I will accumulate the materials to hand load 9.5's or 10's and see what it does before I do.
Regardless I feel confident carrying it Saturday morning on our opener.
Pre-longbeards and shooting lead in the 12 gauge I would have been tickled to death with the pattern.
View attachment 223107View attachment 223108View attachment 223109
I tried to do that with a Win. Model 370 single shot .410 last year. Mine wasn't that good 😕

Soft Talker

Shooting at a Gobbler with that gun, that choke, and ANY shells, past 30yds, is a recipe for disaster. I see one hit in the eye and a few vertebra "clips" with them tiny 9's. Trigger restraint to within 30 steps will better result in clean kills. Most are not smart enough to Turkey Hunt with a 410.

Tennessee Lead

What's the 20 yd look like? I'm currently looking at a .410 full choke barreled gun.
I didn't shoot it at 20. I used lead at 12 yards shot 2 times and then switched to the TSS and shot the trap that was sitting at 40 yards.
I shot at a friends and he caught the shot for re-use or I would have

mike52

Shooting at a Gobbler with that gun, that choke, and ANY shells, past 30yds, is a recipe for disaster. I see one hit in the eye and a few vertebra "clips" with them tiny 9's. Trigger restraint to within 30 steps will better result in clean kills. Most are not smart enough to Turkey Hunt with a 410.
Think you better recount the hits % in the vertebrae will kill any birds, How dead is dead ? IF you have 290 count in a 10 plate are you satisfied ? But those tiny 9's are very lethal . I'm old but not OLD SCHOOL and I hunt with a 410 bore and kill all birds I have Shot at.

ImThere

Just curious what you think the difference between a #9 traveling at say 1200 fps out of a 410 is and a 12 gauge is? Or are you just looking at less pellets? And how dead does a turkey need to be?
I haven't shot past 25 yds at a turkey. The only one I missed were inside 10.

Southern Sportsman

Just curious what you think the difference between a #9 traveling at say 1200 fps out of a 410 is and a 12 gauge is? Or are you just looking at less pellets? And how dead does a turkey need to be?
I haven't shot past 25 yds at a turkey. The only one I missed were inside 10.
He doesn't think about the difference. He just likes to stroke his own ego and brag about how smart and superior he is. Just ignore him. He doesn't really go away, but you'll be happier.

Southern Sportsman

a #9 traveling at say 1200 fps out of a 410 . . .
I would definitely try some different loads before modifying the gun. I've never tried any factory loads, but I have tinkered with a few different recipes. For whatever reason, faster loads have always patterned worse out of my .410. The best have been in the 1000 fps range.

Joe2Kool

That 410 looks very similar to the one I had as a kid, circa mid 1970's

At first glance, I'd be reluctant to shoot at 40 yards with that setup. I'm not a fan of counting pellets in the head and neck because 1/2 inch one way or the other greatly impacts the pellet count. I count pellets in a 10" circle, and strive for 100+. But I'm shooting Longbeard XRs in lead #6 and Hevi Blend.

I've seen 40 yard targets with 300+ pellets in a 10" circle. Setup was 3" 12 ga #9 TSS. I haven't made the jump to TSS yet. Got too many of the other shells that work fine for me to just ditch them.

FWIW, when shot at approximately the same velocity, at 40 yards, a #6 lead pellet is comparable to a #8 TSS.

Tennessee Lead

Ol gun and them tiny 9's does pretty good at 8 yards 😉

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts