The Ole Gun Surprises No More

Tennessee Lead

It's expected…
If spurs are an indication of age as we tend to use as a determining factor, this Tom would be classified as a 2 year old. If indeed he is he sure didn't act like airy one I ever seen. I called him up after fly down without any roost gobbling whatsoever. I made a hasty attempt to setup on him unbeknownst to me there was a ditch between us that he wouldn't cross. I was forced to watch him in the woods at 100 yards.
After he left I went on and crossed a holler into another ridge system.
After having no luck finding a willing participant I crossed back over.
Not long after I struck this Tom again. This time I crossed the holler with the ditch to his side.
It was a very long ridgeline. He was near the halfway point. I made my setup on him and we went to battling each other. 9 repositions the very end of the ridge and I mean very end because it dropped straight off and 2 hours later I killed him at 8 yards with my 30 year old .410 single shot.
It took the combination of a Misfire Trumpet, Jolley Scratch Tube, Dawkins plastic Slate and lots of leaf scratching to seal the deal.
I would have bet my eye teeth he would have had Limbhanger spurs when I was able to pick him up.
He sure did act like battle tested public lands turkey.
He might just be quirky but he handed me my rear end all morning long before I eventually bested him at 10:50.
He's the heaviest one Ive killed at 23 pounds. Majority of the Tom's from that piece of public top out around 18 pounds.
Sure been blessed with a hunt I will always remember.
Absolutely loved carrying the Ol .410. Having shoulder surgery just might made me a convert now.
IMG_4859.png
IMG_4835.jpeg
IMG_4842.jpeg

Cody91

It's expected…
If spurs are an indication of age as we tend to use as a determining factor, this Tom would be classified as a 2 year old. If indeed he is he sure didn't act like airy one I ever seen. I called him up after fly down without any roost gobbling whatsoever. I made a hasty attempt to setup on him unbeknownst to me there was a ditch between us that he wouldn't cross. I was forced to watch him in the woods at 100 yards.
After he left I went on and crossed a holler into another ridge system.
After having no luck finding a willing participant I crossed back over.
Not long after I struck this Tom again. This time I crossed the holler with the ditch to his side.
It was a very long ridgeline. He was near the halfway point. I made my setup on him and we went to battling each other. 9 repositions the very end of the ridge and I mean very end because it dropped straight off and 2 hours later I killed him at 8 yards with my 30 year old .410 single shot.
It took the combination of a Misfire Trumpet, Jolley Scratch Tube, Dawkins plastic Slate and lots of leaf scratching to seal the deal.
I would have bet my eye teeth he would have had Limbhanger spurs when I was able to pick him up.
He sure did act like battle tested public lands turkey.
He might just be quirky but he handed me my rear end all morning long before I eventually bested him at 10:50.
He's the heaviest one Ive killed at 23 pounds. Majority of the Tom's from that piece of public top out around 18 pounds.
Sure been blessed with a hunt I will always remember.
Absolutely loved carrying the Ol .410. Having shoulder surgery just might made me a convert now.View attachment 223713View attachment 223715View attachment 223716
I'm loving all these turkey stories. Thanks for sharing.