The Duck Blind Draw

Donk

I've got an idea about the draw,you boys are going to love this one.Have all the sign on's on one card instead of coming up after.That way if someone buys a blind they wont have a legit card.You cant hardly get up there without a couple trying to buy before you get there or call you at home afterwards.Would'nt totally stop it ,but would sure slow it down.Because if you ask for a card at the blind,you can also ask for ID if you want too.most dont but you can.Hears the good part.Put all the blinds in another barrell.When they draw your party out of one barrell,they draw your blind out of the other,no choice but to take it,if you dont want it,the blind goes back in the barrell and that party is done,also they are void from drawing the next year at that location.They can go to a draw some where else,that way a party could be way down in the draw and still get a real good blind.First draw would'nt be any better than the last.Let's here what you think.Contact TWRA and or local GW if you like the idea.

Grizzly Johnson

Well I think they should develope more "Duck Hunter" friendly areas and then put a limit on who can draw in a certain region. I used to attend the Big Sandy draw years ago, but it got to be too much BS with 1. People from out of state or from the opposite end (Knoxville, Chattanooga) driving all the way over to draw.... 2. The regular guy drawing only to turn around and sell the blind to the highest bidder. WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE YOUR LOCAL PEOPLES THAT WOULD BE DOING MORE HUNTING ANYWAY?

Develope more areas and have more drawing locations. This will probably pee some folks off but it's been a hassel for years and will continue to be...... it sucks having to settle for scraps. There was a nice project at Bogota but that has gone down hill (too much cost to maintain).... oh well....

Donk

This system would work,may not be perfect but would be a start in correcting a Bad promblem.There are several areas in the WMA's that could very easy be developed and would make some decent Duck holes.Why not put a blind back in the spot where blind 4 use to be at Big Sandy,Would'nt cost a dime to develop that spot.That's just for starters,several more spots around in Other WMA's

Taylor

What?

You mean folks "sell" their draw?

LOL.

TN had a lottery in one form, before we really had a lottery.
But really, are they still selling them on the sly, and what does a top draw sell for these days.

Anybody know? Just wondering.

I have only been to the drawings a few times, but even then money was changing hands for blinds.

JThuntsalot

I hate the duck blind drawings. TWRA and everyone else knows what is going on at the drawings at big sandy and has known for years. I just can't understand why they don't stop it. If you do draw a good spot in Camden and dont sell it then it will be hell hunting it because of the morons that think they own the bottoms messing with your stuff and everything else. It is idiots like that who give duck hunters bad reps.

Grizzly Johnson

Taylor said:
What?

You mean folks "sell" their draw?

LOL.

But really, are they still selling them on the sly, and what does a top draw sell for these days.

Anybody know? Just wondering.

I have known them to go for between $10,000-$15,000 for the top blinds..... it's all under the table. The drawer sells blind & gets an open spot to say it's still his blind to hunt.....

It's amazing how the same folks seem to wind up hunting the same blinds year after year.

Not that easy to regulate with the way it's being done..... then like JT says, you get your stuff destroyed or stolen by the guys that are jealous about your spot.....

Donk

If the guys hunting would call their commissioners or their WMA managers and ask for this change,it wouldnt stop it completly.But would sure slow it way-way down.Some say what does it matter if someone sold their blind,I didnt draw it any way.It's some of MY money that helps keep the WMA going,It's suppose to be PUBLIC hunting,Not for the same crews to buy the better blinds year after year and keep it to themselves.It only takes a few minutes to make the call's and would be much better for the vast majority of us.

Taylor

I think top blinds were selling for around $7,000 when last I went.

What was funny then, anyway, was who some of the buyers were.

I was always in favor of a computer draw, but that would kill such events as the Big Sandy Waterfowl Fest, which raises money for local youth league, DU and others. Hate to see that go down.

And to tell the truth, these days, if somebody offers me $10,000 for duck blind that far from my home, it is understandably hard to pass it up.

What about states like Missouri, that have show up that a.m. and draw...?
What are your thoughts on that, D?

Grizzly Johnson

Well they could still have the lottery type draw as stated. Put the names in one tumbler and the balls with numbers that represent the blind numbers in another. The person that drew gets to go up and spin the tumbler with the balls and the number that comes out is his blind..... if he wants it he takes it, if not it goes back in the pot and better luck for him/her next year......

It won't help the buying and selling problem much, but it would weed out the riff raff.....

Donk

They use to do that here years ago.They probably wouldnt go back to that,because the GW's would be in charge of builting and brushing the blinds.They were in the day a simple 4x8 blind.You'd get a lot of flack of a some of hunters too.I agree with the lottery system,but have all the sign ons before the draw.The tumbler with the balls sounds good also.They also done the computer draw a long time ago and give you a prioity # ,then you went down there and waited your turn to pick your blind.Wouldnt be a bad way as long as all your sign ons were on the list to start with( A party)kind of like the deer hunt picks.But some think that is a put up deal.

Taylor

I like the idea of the Mo. draw each a.m., too. But I haven not actually been there and seen it/participated in it.

That said, it does seem in the long run, it would provide more opportunity across the board, to the many people that do not have a place to go.

Question is: how many people are dedicated enough to show up and participate?

(Anybody know the stats on participation in all state quota hunt drawings? Are they up, down or constant?)

And drawing the day of, well, some WMA managers are going to have an early wake-up call for 60 days of duck season. LOL.

Also, it might not be as profitable as the present plan, as far as license sales (required to participate in the blind drawings), the waterfowl fest/fund-raiser, etc., etc.

Donk

They really dont want to have to built and brush the blinds themselves,and a 4x8 blind like it use to be is pretty darn small. good thing is the ducks couldnt see them.I really dont see it going back to that system.Hopefully the powers to be, will modify our problematic draw to some part or all I have suggested here.

Taylor

I hear ya.

I am for whatever provides the best quality hunting opportunity for the most license-buying hunters. That could be the way they have it now, dunno.

I smell a survey come blind-drawing time, LOL.

Donk

I really wish TWRA would do a legit survey,They would find most would like to lump all the sign ons on one card before the draw starts.I know some guys that have gone to the draw for over 20+yrs and never been drawn.Then go down to the bottoms to try and find a place to hunt,only to see some of the same guys hunting the top blinds year after year.Had one old man tell me one yr,that they had been hunting this one blind the last 9 out of 10 yrs.Talk about LUCK????If they would at least lump sign ons together, it would slow this BS down some.If people dont complaining and speak up some,this sort of abuse wont ever change

Polecat

I don't believe for a moment it has anything to do with "fairness." If that were the case then we would be doing a computerized drawing for WMA duck blinds like we do for WMA deer hunts.

Argue all you want about the tradition of the draw in the end it comes down to money. If you purchase nothing other than the required license and permit in order to participate in the blind drawing you have spent $79.00. Look around while at the blind drawing. How many of those wives, girl friends and buddies do you think will actually ever go hunting? I dare wager that less than 50%, 1 out of 2, individuals at these blind drawings are actually hunters with the remaining being bodies brought along to better the chance at drawing a blind. If you have a 1000 people at a drawing site and only half of them there are present only to better another individual or group's chances at drawing a blind, that's $39,500 in revenue in the form of license sales from 500 individuals who will probably never set foot in the field.

This is the same complaint brought up every year with nothing ever being done to address it.

Donk

It is some what of a money thing any more.But if that was all there was to it they would AUCTION the blinds off.I watched a $196,000.00 change hands one year(before it became illegal).You know it still goes on a lot,Matter of fact probably more so now than ever.They could make up the difference easily in fines and community services if they would set up a little sting.Would be so easy.

XxBlack_CloudxX

Money talks!Last year was my first ever year to go to a blind drawing but while i was at camden boy some money traded hands is all i can say.I want be wasteing a day of annual leave for that sweat box again.

Donk

I usually dont complain about what some one else does.You know you do your thing and I'll do mine,as long as your thing does'nt mess with mine.But this thing here is another story.A little buying and selling,no big deal,But this has growm way,way out of hand.It's just like the man said-All bad has to do to suceed.Is for good to do nothing!

Latest posts