Stupid question

ADR

Earlier this year I had a tikka t3x 270 WSM follow me home. Before the current reloading shortage I procured 100 140 gr accubonds and 100 ballistic tips. I plan on loading the accubonds for game and the BT's for the range.

For the question. If I work up a load for the ballistic tips with it directly convert directly pressure wise as the ABs? For example, if the BTs find a node with xx.x gr. of powder z, should the same node be present with the ABs at the same gr weight? I'd like to preserve as many ABs for game as possible but don't mind using for load development if necessary. Hope all that rambling makes sense to someone.

fairchaser

Maybe but I wouldn't count on it without some testing. They have different BCs and that alone would produce a different POI. I've even found identical bullets of a different lot to shoot differently. Depending on what your loading for and the distance you plan on shooting, it might not make a material difference.

MUP

Not sure of the BC of each of those, but I do what you're talking about with .308 NAB's and NBTs . They have the same BC, and I've developed loads using the NBTs (cheaper) and then NAB's for hunting loads, and they were close enough accuracy wise to not fret over. NBTs were slightly more accurate, but then again they were the ones I actually developed the loads with. Ymmv

backyardtndeer

May get you close, but would definitely continue testing to fine tune your hunting rounds.

Used 140 grain match burners for a 6.5 barrel break in and initial load development, then moved to eld x. The poi shift was not much, to get the best accuracy took 1.5 grains more of imr4350 over the match burners. That 1.5 grain difference in powder made the difference between a 3/4 inch group and tearing same holes. The 3/4 inch group was acceptable, but wanted to see how tight they could get.

ADR

Sorry Andy, yes they are both 140 grains. I am going to try magpro powder for the first time and load data is all across the board for max loads (from 69.5-74gr for max). I fully understand they will perform differently at long range but I was just trying to conserve valuable supplies right now. I think I am going to slowly work up with the BTs until pressure signs or desired velocity or stellar accuracy is found. Then back off a little and start back up with ABs and see if performance is similar.

I hope that seems logical and safe

Thank you Andy and fairchaser for yalls input

ADR

Not sure of the BC of each of those, but I do what you're talking about with .308 NAB's and NBTs . They have the same BC, and I've developed loads using the NBTs (cheaper) and then NAB's for hunting loads, and they were close enough accuracy wise to not fret over. NBTs were slightly more accurate, but then again they were the ones I actually developed the loads with. Ymmv
I'm glad I'm not the only person to have this thought process. Thanks for your input MUP

ADR

May get you close, but would definitely continue testing to fine tune your hunting rounds.

Used 140 grain match burners for a 6.5 barrel break in and initial load development, then moved to eld x. The poi shift was not much, to get the best accuracy took 1.5 grains more of imr4350 over the match burners. That 1.5 grain difference in powder made the difference between a 3/4 inch group and tearing same holes. The 3/4 inch group was acceptable, but wanted to see how tight they could get.

I absolutely love me some 4350. I'm just going to try something different in this rig to try to get some more velocity out of her. I'd love to have an all purpose western backcountry rifle.
Thank you for your input

DaveB

I use the NBTs for load development for nearly every weapon we own. I then take the exact same recipe and substitute the Accubond and then the Partition.

When I hit the range with these I take 5 examples, re-zero. IF I DONT group I check COL and maybe juggle powder charge a hair (almost always up). I generally only have to do a very few small adjustments to get a group I like and then I adjust scope to put them on the X.

For my 06 A-Bolt its 59 or 60 grains of IMR4350 R-P brass 210M primers. That is the load for 150 grain Partitions/Accubonds/NBT. sub 3/4" all day long.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
They should come close to interchanging. I've had good success with this in the past, but drop down and work back up to verify. Should only cost you a few bullets. My .270 Win (not WSM) shoots the same powder charge under NBTs and NABs within 1" at 100, but not exact

Hunter 257W

Back when I started loading ammo lots of load data would only give bullet weight and not a specific manufacturers bullet so that's what we all did.

Safari Hunt

A ton of info here. Lots to consider when reloading. Nowadays, it's reload with whatever you can get in the caliber.
Dad- The only stupid question is the one not asked. We learn by asking. This is one of the strong points of this website, learning from the experience and expertise of others.

ADR

Just posting this in case somebody later comes along looking for the info.
Gun as stated is tikka t3x light stainless in 270 WSM. Worked up trying to find desired velocity and hopefully accuracy before pressure. Magpro powder and new Norma brass with fed 215 primers. 140 grain ballistic tips.
Started getting mild pressure signs (sticky bolt and extractor mark) at 67 grains with only 2900 FPS velocity. Bullets were seated 0.01" off lands. Accuracy is there at that load but that's not desired speed. Guess I'll try h4350 or Re26 next unless someone else has a great recipe to try.

Last edited:

DaveB

Pressure signs are just that. IMO Time to back down that charge. Extractor marks are kind of normal but sticky bolt is the flag telling you to1 back down.

I noticed in my 300 WSM i cannot achieve the FPS I was after. I don't think the deer/elk/piggie can tell the difference but what it does mean is you need to chart your drop at longer distances with actuals-real results-not book stuff.

Latest posts