Stan Potts WR 200 incher?!

JCDEERMAN

landman said:
I know those 3 are NOT footing the bill, more than those 3 hunting there, just smart business on their part

The Buck grossed 150" main frame 9 with 4 stickers around the bases that are over an inch

Makes sense. If you look at his left hand, you can tell he is holding a left G2 that isnt showing in the picture. Wonder if that is staged to be a mainframe 8?

nodog

could care less, but for some reason and it's just out of curiosity I just can't understand why grown men go on about another grown man the way they do about Potts.

Seen 200" deer taken by just regular folks who never would pay/lease what these guys pay, so making them out to be something for it just doesn't add up to me. Most regular folks would buy land for that kind of money and think people who would spend that kind of money and not own it foolish. It doesn't get much run time in my head except for how other men go on about them. Almost like he's donated them a kidney or something. He shot a deer he paid 11 grand for, big whoop.

I like the Knight and Hale company, they stand behind what they sell and I know that personally.

whistlinwingman

nodog said:
could care less, but for some reason and it's just out of curiosity I just can't understand why grown men go on about another grown man the way they do about Potts.

Seen 200" deer taken by just regular folks who never would pay/lease what these guys pay, so making them out to be something for it just doesn't add up to me. Most regular folks would buy land for that kind of money and think people who would spend that kind of money and not own it foolish. It doesn't get much run time in my head except for how other men go on about them. Almost like he's donated them a kidney or something. He shot a deer he paid 11 grand for, big whoop.

Stan Potts was just an ordinary "grown man" when he killed a couple of 200" bucks on public land. From his success he turned it into a career by choice. Therefore he utilized this business opportunity to invest $11,000 hoping to produce an outcome. I do not condone him one bit for leasing expensive land to enhance his career nor do I idolize him as a kidney donor. He is quite simply a good hunter that utilized opportunities to turn hunting into a career.

nodog said:
I like the Knight and Hale company, they stand behind what they sell and I know that personally.

If Harold Knight or David Hale killed this deer would you feel the same way?

whistlinwingman

nodog said:

Stan Potts was just an ordinary "grown man" when he killed a couple of 200" bucks on public land. From his success he turned it into a career by choice. Therefore he utilized this business opportunity to invest $11,000 hoping to produce an outcome. I do not condone him one bit for leasing expensive land to enhance his career nor do I idolize him as a kidney donor. He is quite simply a good hunter that utilized opportunities to turn hunting into a career.

nodog said:

If Harold Knight or David Hale killed this deer would you feel the same way?

Winchester

It was absolutely a brilliant business move to lease this property. Any time you get an opportunity like they did to promote your business in the most positive way, smart business men do it! As for his hunting skills I have no idea, I do know David and Harold are much better Turkey hunters than they are deer hunters, well Harold anyway, he's the hunter of the 2 by far! No telling who does the planting, scouting and camera/stand hanging, or who found this deer. I do know who shot him and he's the only one that will get an ounce of credit, so the rest is really nonexistent in the publics eye anyway! Ah the terrible hard life of 20 hour days on your death bed of a TV hunter!! :D

Here is a MAIN FRAME eight point with ONE scorable sticker.

He has a GROSS score of 153.

After deductions, it netted 134 5/8 P/Y by an Official scorer.

8pt.jpg

bowriter

R.I.P.
Not a great picture but this is a 145 even eight point scored by our own fence ost. One of the few I have had officially scored. He has 14" inside spread. Be neat if he had 19.

Post.jpg

whistlinwingman said:
102 that is an absolute beast.

You are 100% correct. He was HUGE.
Truly this picture does not do him justice.
He was nearly 250 pounds on the hoof. It was a THREE hour drag DOWNHILL to the truck, alone, thirsty, and VERY dark (flashlight battery left on in pack).

I was utterly shocked to learn he'd only gross 153. Heck I thought, based on all the TV pro's monster bucks, he'd be Boone and Crockett for CERTAIN. I just KNEW he was at LEAST as big as MANY I'd seen on TV.

Well, I got an education. This buck, along with another, were my first, and last I've scored (by our own Ben Layton of TWRA). WHAT A SURPRISE.

I learned several things from Mr. Layton. Not the least of which was how MUCH BONE it takes for a buck to gross 150.

Now, years and deers later, I watch the TV pros and literally just giggle at the lying that goes on. RIDICULOUS!!!

But Stan Potts has some incredible land to hunt. And he IS a very good hunter.

He promotes our sport in a positive image.

And indeed, kills some GIANTS!!!

whistlinwingman

102 said:
whistlinwingman said:
102 that is an absolute beast.

You are 100% correct. He was HUGE.
Truly this picture does not do him justice.
He was nearly 250 pounds on the hoof. It was a THREE hour drag DOWNHILL to the truck, alone, thirsty, and VERY dark (flashlight battery left on in pack).

I was utterly shocked to learn he'd only gross 153. Heck I thought, based on all the TV pro's monster bucks, he'd be Boone and Crockett for CERTAIN. I just KNEW he was at LEAST as big as MANY I'd seen on TV.

Well, I got an education. This buck, along with another, were my first, and last I've scored (by our own Ben Layton of TWRA). WHAT A SURPRISE.

I learned several things from Mr. Layton. Not the least of which was how MUCH BONE it takes for a buck to gross 150.

Now, years and deers later, I watch the TV pros and literally just giggle at the lying that goes on. RIDICULOUS!!!

But Stan Potts has some incredible land to hunt. And he IS a very good hunter.

He promotes our sport in a positive image.

And indeed, kills some GIANTS!!!

Yes. Lots more bone than many think.

The lying hurts us all. I see hunters claiming to pass or ashamed to kill 120 or 130" deer. The truth is a 120" deer (especially in TN) is an outstanding animal. Why we shame them with numbers is beyond me.

Very nice buck again. I love Big 8's.

BSK

whistlinwingman said:
The lying hurts us all. I see hunters claiming to pass or ashamed to kill 120 or 130" deer. The truth is a 120" deer (especially in TN) is an outstanding animal. Why we shame them with numbers is beyond me.

I couldn't agree more. A 120 goes on my wall.

I guarantee you a 120 is a HOSS!!!

ESPECIALLY in Tennessee.

I will not pass MANY 110 inch bucks. EVEN in Illinois.

bowriter

R.I.P.
whistlinwingman said:
nodog said:
Like I said, don't care.

Then why rip him for leasing land?

I have seen this going back before many of you were borne. It is called sour grapes although others call it jealousy. I can't do it, so I shall belittle those who can.

A few years ago, in IL, an angry young man was going to whip my partner and I (yes both of us)because we leased a farm he once had permission to hunt. The reason we got the lease was because of the way he treated the land and owner. When it became clear to him that in fact, he was not going to whip either of us, he said, "Well, I could have leased that place 100 times. I just didn't think it was worth it." To which I replied, "Then what are you mad about? We think it is great place to hunt so we leased it. You probably should have. Now if you get caught there, it will cost you a lot more." We caught him the next week and it did cost him quite a bit.

So this is not a new concept at all. It has caused a regular uproar in IL. One of the reasons I moved my operation to other states. The outfitters come in, pay top dollar, lease the land, the local who has not paid a dime for years and has hunted as if he owned it, is shut out. The local could have leased it for very little if he had not thought he could hunt free forever. On the other hand, some oflks, even some from here, go to IL, make friends, cement relationships and hunt for nothing.

From the locals view point, there is a valid argument. I agree, it is a problem. It is a long standing problem called, "The battle of the haves and have nots." Perhaps there are some on here, older and wiser than I who can remember when it started, maybe in the dark ages? It is a simple problem, one easily solved. Work hard, make money and become a have.

Or...you can do as a few others have. Make friends and cement those friendships, treat people right and offer a dollar or so when you can for the privledge to hunt a piece of ground. Sometimes you can pay in sweat equity and become a have.

Or just depend on the status quo. Sometimes the dollar gets you anyway. Sometimes not. I hunt a small farm that I'll bet you can't lease or buy for twice what it is worth. I'll have permission to hunt there for as long as the present owner has it and he will have it long after I am dead. But never, ever do I take that for granted.

As I said, if I were young, cared anything about antlers and was rich, I'd lease a place like Messers Potts, Knight and Hale have and just grin at y'all. Because, I owuld be a have.

morgancountry

I agree bowriter! One reason I have come to accept and like the 3 buck rule here in tennessee. You don't have to worry about bigger money than they you swooping in and leasing land that you have by working or paying a little for. Plus if you're patient enough there's some good bucks running around the state

landman

I showed a different 2,200 acres today in KY to a buyer that the seller has been offered $15/acre for the hunting lease for next year

Latest posts