I think they are still there but the past few years they have been cutting back on the early bow hunt. Pretty sure it used to be bonus bucks and started first week of September. If your in Maryville check out foothills wma I've had good luck in there anywhere right up against the mountain. They are definitely in there and nice. ones. Only reason I don't hunt there anymore is I got some spots in middle tennesse now. Also I enjoyed when the bear hunters came in with they're dogs I would sit all day on those days might mess up a buck you've been watching on the day they are there but no telling what you'll see/ not see because of those dogs they get everything moving.
What is the best area to get into foothills wma , happy valley six mile or 129 , I been using aerial view and scouting it a lot , I'm going in March to scout for 2 days lord willing to see we're I wanna gun hunt this coming season

Madbowh

I was going in whites mill/ chilhowee view I hunted the north end of foothills montvale area. I parked on happy valley rd. There's a guy that works for someone in that area that tries to put up no trespassing signs clearly on wma land he was a real problem if you run into him, instant bad attitude and jerk. Some nice hardwoods you'll catch deer in right off happy valley rd, this is the best I've seen in there. There's also a pond way back in there not much sign around the pond but if you find some it'll be a good one. I moved so no longer hunting east tennesse.

One of the biggest I've seen in Tennessee was in that wma. I've also taken some decent ones in kyker bottoms. The way it used to be muzzleloader didn't always land before the closing dates of kyker bottoms and I would hunt that when toy can muzzle load there. Not many decent bucks but a good random hunt.

Really i started hunting foothills when bear hunters were going to be there with their dogs.

Park on happy valley right before it goes up mountain go straight in there a little ridge that dies out guarantee you'll find good buck sign on that ridge. Watch the bees me and my daughter got eat up on that hill one day, I'm talking over 20+ stings a piece. Once you find this ridge there's an old road that comes into it you can come in on.

The deer should mainly be bedded 3/4 the way up the mountain

Madbowh

I was going in whites mill/ chilhowee view I hunted the north end of foothills montvale area. I parked on happy valley rd. There's a guy that works for someone in that area that tries to put up no trespassing signs clearly on wma land he was a real problem if you run into him, instant bad attitude and jerk. Some nice hardwoods you'll catch deer in right off happy valley rd, this is the best I've seen in there. There's also a pond way back in there not much sign around the pond but if you find some it'll be a good one. I moved so no longer hunting east tennesse.

One of the biggest I've seen in Tennessee was in that wma. I've also taken some decent ones in kyker bottoms. The way it used to be muzzleloader didn't always land before the closing dates of kyker bottoms and I would hunt that when toy can muzzle load there. Not many decent bucks but a good random hunt.

Really i started hunting foothills when bear hunters were going to be there with their dogs.

Park on happy valley right before it goes up mountain go straight in theres a little ridge that dies out guarantee you'll find good buck sign on that ridge. Watch the bees me and my daughter got eat up on that hill one day, I'm talking over 20+ stings a piece. Once you find this ridge there's an old road that comes into it from above you can come in on.

The deer should mainly be bedded 3/4 the way up the mountain

Madbowh

I swear every hunt in foothills and ride there was a story in its own.

Was thinking of these things after I posted.

An owl hit my windshield and it's got was stuck in my wiper blade. Had a black/purple owl eye staring at me. Pulled over got him out he was curled up in my hands so tiny when he flew had a solid 18" wing span. No idea how I didn't get a scratch on me from him

left one evening and come around a corner doing about 25 dang big Ole cow right in the middle of the road. Just dropped a new engine in my blazer man I would've probably left it there if I'd hit that cow.

So many more things like this in the way to hunting that place or home. Never have situations like this anywhere else.

Shot a nice buck and doe together opening of muzzle.

Dang bear charged me one morning in the snow going in.....I could go on about that place

Jbbivens

This is a South Cherokee deer I got on camera this year. Like everyone else has said low numbers but if you see one it's typically a good one.
MFDC4037.JPG

ElDuderino

Pm me we can talk
Hey there reload, we moved to Etowah from Maryville a few months back, I've been putting in some miles on my boots scouting up on the mountain, any chance I could take you up on this? Not looking for your spots, just a few hints as to where I might be able to get into a few since I'm in new territory.

I can't figure out how to message you, would you be able to send me a pm? Thank you

Bone Collector

Hey there reload, we moved to Etowah from Maryville a few months back, I've been putting in some miles on my boots scouting up on the mountain, any chance I could take you up on this? Not looking for your spots, just a few hints as to where I might be able to get into a few since I'm in new territory.

I can't figure out how to message you, would you be able to send me a pm? Thank you
click on his profile name under his avatar and a box will pop up. in that box you will see a button that says "start conversation"

hoghunter65

Im 63 and can't climb those steep ridges like I used too, I've done quite a bit of scouting and have found some sign In some flatter creek bottoms, one of my favorite places to hunt that I can't hunt anymore, is a long walk straight down a ridge to a creek bottom, several years ago I shot a deer in that bottom took 4 of us over 3 hrs to drag it up to the jeep, I said i would never do that again, the very next weekend i apparently had a brain fart and went back to where I killed the deer and shot a hog we had another 3hr drag uphill, my boy said he wouldnt hunt with me again if i insisted on goin back in there.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

Pm sent

Latest posts