timberjack86

Ditto to all the posts. They are scattered, very cautious, and you will get your exercise!
If you approach the activity as one where you will enjoy the hunt and appreciate the area regardless of the outcome it will be fun. If going with the attitude that you will be disappointed if you don't get anything - you will. I have gone for years and not seen a deer while hunting. But they are there and will make mistakes every note and then. That is what keeps bringing me back.
Nice buck! Good luck with him next year

DRSJ35

I wonder if N Cherokee is about the same possibility's on big old bucks. I'd say it about has to be. Same terrain same chances bucks get just as old. I've seen big ones killed it's hard hunting though for sure.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I wonder if N Cherokee is about the same possibility's on big old bucks. I'd say it about has to be. Same terrain same chances bucks get just as old. I've seen big ones killed it's hard hunting though for sure.
If I recall correctly they was a big buck killed last year above the green cove store they had pictures of it

FLTENNHUNTER1

Willysman

So i just looked up South Cherokee WMA in WMA total deer harvested 2020-2021. 159 Bucks harvested that's 6th place in state for WMA's. Interesting data.
At one time the SC deer was a bonus deer. People would kill deer outside the Cherokee and report them as being killed on the SC when the season was open there. Now that they count against the statewide limit I think maybe some people are still doing that. Maybe not aware of the change. I hunt the SC all the time and can just about assure you there was not 159 bucks killed there. I hunt for several days each season and rarely hear a gunshot.

timberjack86

There are big bucks there for sure. If your don't know how to debone a deer, now is the time to learn. Dragging is not an option when you are 2 miles down a FS road.
A deer cart can be handy if you kill close to the road, but alot of times it's off in a gulf and the only way to the road is straight up.

Chickencoop96

Ditto to all the posts. They are scattered, very cautious, and you will get your exercise!
If you approach the activity as one where you will enjoy the hunt and appreciate the area regardless of the outcome it will be fun. If going with the attitude that you will be disappointed if you don't get anything - you will. I have gone for years and not seen a deer while hunting. But they are there and will make mistakes every note and then. That is what keeps bringing me back.
to me that makes it much more rewarding and exciting. plus I love being in the high country, especially in the fall/winter months. no other country like that. I love prowling and to do that I gotta have alot of ground. that is a beautiful buck btw

Grainger

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
At one time the SC deer was a bonus deer. People would kill deer outside the Cherokee and report them as being killed on the SC when the season was open there. Now that they count against the statewide limit I think maybe some people are still doing that. Maybe not aware of the change. I hunt the SC all the time and can just about assure you there was not 159 bucks killed there. I hunt for several days each season and rarely hear a gunshot.
I'm with you on this they are no way that many bucks are killed in South Cherokee. I been hunting up there for 8 years and only taken 1 buck and have not laid eyes on anther shooter. I was up on the mountain all weekend and only seen one other truck now during muzzleloader and rifle I see a few more trucks but I still don't believe that many bucks come out of SC

huvrman

OuHunted the South Cherokee for 59 years. The terrain is tough and the deer population is low but it is my favorite place to hunt. If you do kill a deer it is well worth it but better have lots of help to get it out. The TWRA concentrate mostly on the bear any very little if any management for the deer. By the way I am 75 years old and the ridges have become steeper.
Hats off to you for sticking with it. I'm almost 20 years younger and cringe every time I have to hunt the ravines around Dale Hollow.

JW01

Way more bear and hogs in SC than deer. It's rare to see a deer out there but when you hear those leaves crunching it could be anything.

Willysman

Way more bear and hogs in SC than deer. It's rare to see a deer out there but when you hear those leaves crunching it could be anything.
I agree 100 % about the bear and hogs. My son and I were lucky enough to get to camp and hunt in the snow in Tellico last December. He was fortunate enough to get a nice 8 pt. They are a few nice bucks still there but most are dying of old age. Few deer hunters anymore.

Latest posts