So Close

jag1

Was able to score on a doe opening day of blackpowder in the CWD zone. Between that day and opening of duck season, been able to go a few times myself and taking a young kid in hopes of getting him one. He's seen a number of younger bucks but after telling him he was gutting this one, he's been more selective this year!
I interrupted duck season to give the deer one more try this morning. Had to wade through the sloughs to get to the stand...finally have water back there, hoping the woodies follow soon. Very foggy this morning and saw no deer until 8:30. Had a 2 1/2 year old 8 pt cross through the woods in front of me about 40 yards. If my young friend had been there, he'd have taken him but alas he is home with Covid. If he makes it to next year, he'll be a shooter in most books for sure.
Not 3 minutes later, see a large deer moving to my right through the woods paralleling me at first. It's a buck, he's a shooter, high and wide, can't count points cause too thick. He's coming in like he's I'm reeling him in. Get the scope up, find him, too thick. Need him to come in 15 more yards and then he bolts directly away while he had been a mere 40 yards away. As I was wondering what the heck had happened, I felt the wind that had been in my face, on my neck now! That shooting lane that I've been meaning to cut for 2 seasons cost me today. Hopefully, we can get the young fellow on one next week. Back to duck season.

Attaching what I heard at first light.

Attachments

• CD7E83D2-EE92-411D-8DAA-B68B7830AFAB.mov
    122.3 MB

DoubleRidge

Oh me....that stings a little...good luck to the young hunter....and if your youth hunter doesn't get one of the bucks then y'all have two bucks to look forward too next year....this late in the season they'll likely make it.

Latest posts