My best so far

tbadon

Long read, but dang what a journey. Woo wee this deer has about wore me out! Started getting pics in late July and automatically decided I'd go after him when the time came. I saw him on the Saturday of the velvet hunt but he was just too far out. He was really big with velvet still on. After that encounter, he kinda disappeared. He showed up at my stand September 22, the night before opening day. I hunted that whole weekend and didn't see him. He showed back up on another camera September 26 in the middle of the night and then was gone for 3 weeks. I had hunted a lot the past few weeks and saw several smaller bucks and does but just held out. I got out Wednesday evening and sat in my stand till dark in that awful wind and on the way out pulled the card from my other camera and there he was the night before. Game on! I was working Thursday morning and my phone went off, he was 40 yards from my stand at 7:30! I got in my stand that evening about 4 and sat till dark again with no sightings. My wife knew how hard I had been after this guy and she encouraged me to go back Friday evening. I was kinda over sitting in the wind for several straight days but said what the heck. I got in and settled about 4. Abut 530 a guy on the adjacent property fired up a dozer and took it down the hill. By this point I'm kinda over it but just gotta tough it out. About 630 I look up the hill and see a deer in some thick stuff. I ranged him at 90 yards and could tell it was a big body and had a rack but that was it. Light was not good where he was at all. I got turned in my stand and got positioned, then did 2 light grunts and 1 aggressive one. He came in on a string and THANK THE LORD I made the shot at 21 yards. He's my best to date and I've put more time into hunting him than any other deer. He went about 60 yards and I heard him crash. I was TORE UP, and called my wife to tell her to get my son ready and head up to help me. Processor/taxidermist aged him at 4.5 and he field dressed 170 pounds. So thankful to my wife and good friend that kept telling me to keep going after him.
Super nice!

tdt5446

Long read, but dang what a journey. Woo wee this deer has about wore me out! Started getting pics in late July and automatically decided I'd go after him when the time came. I saw him on the Saturday of the velvet hunt but he was just too far out. He was really big with velvet still on. After that encounter, he kinda disappeared. He showed up at my stand September 22, the night before opening day. I hunted that whole weekend and didn't see him. He showed back up on another camera September 26 in the middle of the night and then was gone for 3 weeks. I had hunted a lot the past few weeks and saw several smaller bucks and does but just held out. I got out Wednesday evening and sat in my stand till dark in that awful wind and on the way out pulled the card from my other camera and there he was the night before. Game on! I was working Thursday morning and my phone went off, he was 40 yards from my stand at 7:30! I got in my stand that evening about 4 and sat till dark again with no sightings. My wife knew how hard I had been after this guy and she encouraged me to go back Friday evening. I was kinda over sitting in the wind for several straight days but said what the heck. I got in and settled about 4. Abut 530 a guy on the adjacent property fired up a dozer and took it down the hill. By this point I'm kinda over it but just gotta tough it out. About 630 I look up the hill and see a deer in some thick stuff. I ranged him at 90 yards and could tell it was a big body and had a rack but that was it. Light was not good where he was at all. I got turned in my stand and got positioned, then did 2 light grunts and 1 aggressive one. He came in on a string and THANK THE LORD I made the shot at 21 yards. He's my best to date and I've put more time into hunting him than any other deer. He went about 60 yards and I heard him crash. I was TORE UP, and called my wife to tell her to get my son ready and head up to help me. Processor/taxidermist aged him at 4.5 and he field dressed 170 pounds. So thankful to my wife and good friend that kept telling me to keep going after him.
Awesome buck!

Latest posts