Shooter or no ???

megalomaniac

If you wonder whether you should shoot a deer or not before you pull the trigger, you shouldn't shoot.

If your gut tells you he's a shooter when you first see him, blast away and be proud of what you killed.

There's nothing wrong with having standards.... just like there's nothing wrong with killing the first 2 bucks you see in a season... but if you have decided to only kill mature deer, you have to be willing to pass up a TON of deer that other people will drop in a heartbeat, AND still live with the fact you COULD have killed him, but chose to let him live.

Would I have shot that deer? Heck no... but does that mean i would look down on you for using YOUR tag on him? Heck no! As long as you are happy with him.

The problem i have with your post is you are asking for justification for shooting this deer. That decision lies on you ALONE. What we think doesn't mean diddly squat. If you are happy with taking his life, then celebrate what a wonderfully made creature God provided for you. If you are disappointed you killed him, look inward and make the commitment to adhere to the standards you set for yourself and strive to do better, while enjoying a nice pair of backstraps.

Huntaholic

To each his own, but if I set my goals as only killing a buck that's better than my best buck, I might as well quit. I killed a 153" buck with a bow a few years ago and I admit, for a while deer hunting lost its luster for me because chances are I will never kill another buck that good, let alone with a compound. I finally decided that as long as I kill MATURE bucks that are at or above the standards for the area Im hunting, then it suits ME. I killed my first buck in several years yesterday as a matter of fact, he wasn't 153 or better, but he was a damn good deer for the area, main frame typical 8 that will go mid 130s, but he was one of the best bucks ive had on camera there all year. If he makes you happy, then punch a tag! FYI, depending on what was in the area, I would have gladly filled a tag with your buck! CONGRATS!

Latest posts