Second rut question

BSK

I always counted 28 days give or take a day 😁
It is 28 days, but just easier to tell hunters a month later. To be most accurate, tell hunters that whenever you saw the best rut chasing, just move forward 4 weeks on the calendar and that's when it should peak again.

BSK

Another thing to think about is your local herd dynamics. The adult sex ratio and buck age structure play a big role in the length of breeding as well as strength of 2nd/3rd rut etc. The only times I've documented strong 2nd/3rd ruts is when the herd dynamics are out of whack (below optimum buck age structure and/or unbalanced sex ratio).

Snake

Another thing to think about is your local herd dynamics. The adult sex ratio and buck age structure play a big role in the length of breeding as well as strength of 2nd/3rd rut etc. The only times I've documented strong 2nd/3rd ruts is when the herd dynamics are out of whack (below optimum buck age structure and/or unbalanced sex ratio).
This is just logical if you know the answers 😁

Snake

I guess i go against the grain because every single year for the 30 or so years i have hunted them i always love the full moon.I see the most chasing and seeking during this time and according to my notes 85% of my best deer have fell between last week through the 3rd week of December for this area of west Dickson and Humphreys and Hickman.
Things are different where there are more deer . I always like to hunt on a new moon and have killed deer during the full moon just realized they feed more at night during a full moon . Been told deer move more during midday during a full moon but my stomach don't allow that very much 😁

jman 125

Things are different where there are more deer . I always like to hunt on a new moon and have killed deer during the full moon just realized they feed more at night during a full moon . Been told deer move more during midday during a full moon but my stomach don't allow that very much 😁
Yeah it does vary and i understand the midday grumbling. I absolutely hate a new moon because it seems that they move before daylight or you bust them out going in i have always hunted against the grain than most people would. I also hunt the does even though i haven't killed a doe in years just let the other farms take care of that. And i leave everything alone once i kill the buck im after or tag out. And that usually happens on a full moon around 8am

knightrider

That last sentence perfectly describes my area of east tn😂 best rut is always 2nd week if December

Latest posts