School me on Presidents Island

Ahuntin1

LBLman, I don't think that the restrictions at PI are a problem. There probably are a few people who go home with a tag every year that could have shot an eight point. I would guess that only half of those guys actually had a chance at a true mature 8 point. On the other hand, I don't think that there would be a serious impact to the mature buck population if the rules were changed to 8 points or better. I am sure that a good portion of the hunters would still go home empty handed. Some would go home empty handed because they never got a shot. Others would go home because they held out for a big buck and passed on something legal but not PI worthy. I think that there would be a big increase in young bucks taken and that would lower the PI monster buck reputation a bit. I bet the TRWA has that in mind. If there was a way to easily enforce a maturity limit, I would be all for it, but there is not. Keep in mind that the body of MS River island deer are huge compared to deer in the rest of the state.

muddyboots

TheLBLman":380iwzmd said:
muddyboots":380iwzmd said:
. . . . . It was awesome when I was there.
Might I ask how many years ago was that? :)

By my recent observations, it would appear the kind of hunting opportunity that made PI so famous hasn't existed since about 2011?

It may very well remain the single best WMA in TN for a P&Y class buck, but is questionably worth the forfeitures of so many other quota WMA hunts over the years for the chance to be drawn for a PI hunt. It took me 14 years to be drawn. In my group of 3, two of us didn't even see a deer while hunting (the 2016 quota buck hunt). Other groups had good success, although most reported relatively little deer sign compared to expectations.

Sorry I just saw this. 9 years ago.

Latest posts