Sawtooth Oak Question

brier rabbit

no i mean 25 hrs aday. they need lots of sun, this is acording to ky fish and game. they will grow in partial sun but will not produce acorns. i payed 75.00 each, but they had a little freeze damage. they are doing fine, have new growth on them.

brier rabbit

thanks for the offer. no i had to plant them. ive look around and for the size i thought it was a good deal? they are over 3 1/2 inch caliper on the trunk. i hope to get some acorns next year.i bought 6 at lowes last fall and for 5.00 close out, #3 pots, i replanted them in mineral tube containers and filled them with composted horse manure. they are starting to grow pritty fast. i also bought apple,pare,plum trees. autumolive burning bushes and a few other plants that deer like to eat.i am trying to get my farm it to very good deer habitat. trying to improve the deer, i moved down here from montana and was a little dissapoited in the deer herd. the 3 buck limit has shore helped.

Food Plot 101

I'm doing the same thing with the fruit trees, etc. Don't be disappointed in the deer herd, Bob. The state Record non-typical came from Sumner County, 242" and some change. Plus, although smaller in body size, there are many more deer per square mile in the county you're in than in the densest MT areas. There are some big deer around! But I've seen some of the deer that come from MT and they are very nice. My last 2 bucks from Sumner County were over 200lbs. whole.

brier rabbit

yes i saw the deer at bass pro, very impressive. i have taken several nice bucks off my farm. with all of my land management,food plots,minerals and trees i am seeing a slow but steady improvement in the herd. but i still have not seen 100 deer in any feilds in tn, like i would on the milk river.

Food Plot 101

Too many road hunters in TN for that! I know of a 1/2 mile stretch in Sumner County where I regularly see 20-40 but not 100. But outside of the Milk River basin, there are lots of areas where I'll bet there are very few deer per square mile. Are you in Gallatin or H'ville?

brier rabbit

i live up in bethpage. you are right to many road hunters.... but their are still good bucks every year, just think what it would be like with out the poching....

brier rabbit

i put out mostly trophy rock and 30-06 mineral. i have tryed just about everything else but nothing comes close to either of these two.

TS_13

Works pretty good? Like I said i put out mineral blocks, I think they were for cows though, and they havent touched them! Nothing has.....I will look into the other thanks.

Food Plot 101

I'm doing a 3 way test between Trophy Rock, Bag R Buck and Trace Mineral block. The results so far might surprise you. TS, do you have a good trail cam set up on the mineral blocks? Do you have a water source close by? If you don't have a camera set up, muddy up the ground around the mineral block so you can actually see the tracks.
I haven't had as much activity this year as I thought I would.

TS_13

No I dont have a cam. I put it beside a salt lick (5ft), it still has the sharp corners! hahaha... I put it out the 1st of March. I just read somewhere that I should have mixed it in with salt... that the minerals are bitter to them? Yeah I have a pond about 50yds away I might tote some H20. Or just use some I am watering my persimmons with. Hey thanks again for the heads up on the trees. If you get any leads on oaks and persimmons next year let me know!

Latest posts