Sawtooth Oak Question

Food Plot 101

Found what I thought to be a good deal a few days ago so I bought 5 sawtooth oaks, ranging from 9-15ft.tall. My question for ya'll is how far apart do I need to space them? My set up is like this, I have a ridge that runs north/south for approx. 400 yrds., is approx. 75 yards wide, and ends at TVA powerlines. There are a few mixed red and white oaks along this flat ridge, but no real concentration of them. I've thought about putting them in the middle of the ridge line which seems to be a natural crossing for deer and turky anyway. What do you fellas think? Also, I may have an opportunity to get more.

deerchaser007

Don't put them out now. Wait til fall of the year. Just keep them watered til then.

Depends if your gonna get more. If you stay with 5 ,.. i would scatter them out among the 400 yards. Say every 75 yards. BUT,.. not within 50 yards of the powerline.

If its a open area,.. keep it open as much as possible. The browse in a open area that size is more valuable than any tree you can put in the ground.

Food Plot 101

I've got to get them in the ground. The pots they're in are small and the daily breeze knocks them down. I can water them fairly easily on almost a daily basis. The way we've been getting rain up here I may not have to do that. About the powerline, is it the spraying they do or the electricity for the 50yrds.?

Tree Man

When you remove the trees from the pot if the roots have circled the outside of the pot take pruners and cut the roots from top to bottom four or fives times on the outside. This will make the roots branch out into the soil.
Many trees grown in containers are grown in too small of a pot and become root bound. Container grown trees have also recived all the water and nutrition from the growing media in the pot, therefore they will have to be watered until the roots become established in the surrounding soil

woodswarrior

I dont know what kind of luck you will have but we got on the TWRA plan i think around 10 to 12 years ago and set out over 600 sawtooth oaks. NOT 1 Acorn yet? I set out a couple in the my yard and kept them fertilized very good and they are growing very fast, approx. 35 to 45 foot tall. NO ACORNS ? Also have heard other people say the same thing about there trees?

Food Plot 101

I believe that would SUCK! I don't have enough time or money invested in these if mine do the same. Seriously, you put 600 trees in the ground w/o any producing? Sorry about your luck. I'd be kickin' somebody in the nutz! lmao

Cottontop

I have 8 in my yard that are about 15 years old. They are about 30-40 feet tall and are almost a nuisance they have so many acorns. The kids rake and pick them up by the 5 gallon buckets full in the fall. Still I have literally hundreds that sprout from acorns mashed into the yard every spring. The freeze hurt them this year but they still have several acorns on them. They make a beautiful shade tree as well. You have to trim the lower limbs to mow around as they do have limbs close to the ground.

holstonangler

If you don't place them fairly close together, you may have pollination problems. This occurs when the wind, bees, and other insects don't fertilize the bud in the spring, causing the tree not to produce acorns.

deerchaser007

holstonangler said:
If you don't place them fairly close together, you may have pollination problems. This occurs when the wind, bees, and other insects don't fertilize the bud in the spring, causing the tree not to produce acorns.

interesting,.. i didn't know this. Thanks for sharing that info.

Food Plot 101

K-Mart of all places. They didn't have a lot of them but who cares. I got some live oaks, water oaks and persimmon trees too. Oh, and 2 peach trees, 2 pear trees and an apple tree. Think I'm gonna be busy here before long!

TS_13

Seriously! I have been looking for sawtooth and persimmons.... which k-mart? I live in hendersonville... (i am not going to buy them up....)

TS_13

i went by. Got 2 Persimmons at G-ville, then hit the one in H town, scored one more there..... Thanks for the tip! I will look out next year! If you hear of any more drop me a line.

brier rabbit

i bought several sawtooth oaks at lowes in h ville that where in 3 gal containers. i bought 2 a rogers in gallatin that are 3 inches in diameter a over 12 feet tall.

Latest posts