Safety zone question

Headhunter

Another absolute bull crap move the TWRA. So, if I want to duck hunt on most any lake, I am guessing most if not all boat ramps are safety zones, how do you put your boat in and have a shotgun or several people and several shotguns and hunt? In La Vergne, where they put up a guard rail all along Stones River Rd (yes the TWRA and the TWF was had a part in getting the guard rail put up) and blocked most all the parking to access that are of the WMA, what do you do? They also helping in getting a greenway put in that blocks access (the greenway parking area is one of the best spots to park and walk in, I would assume it is a safety zone) what do you do? The TWRA is a dumpster fire and the dumpster is melting.

Absolutely SAD does not support the main people that pay the salaries, meaning the everyday hunters and fishermen who buy licenses.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
SCN can you weigh in ?? Campgrounds,Parking lots all kinds of safety zones around WMA's and Public lands. I've hunted many years on all kinds of public land. I have always used proper care to not be able to use a weapon when going thru a safety zone. Clip and or bolt out, weapon unloaded and in a case. The regulations used to spell out requirements more clearly.

Urban_Hunter

I can understand not agreeing with a safety zone if you believe it shouldn't be one… but to think you can do everything related to hunting minus fire a weapon in one I just don't understand. You can't go "hiking" on the wma with your rifle out of season just because you don't have a round chambered….

I believe forcing the issue will just put you and your spot at further liability.

I ran into a wildlife office last year at Bledsoe State Park while we were camping. I asked him about the "no firearms" allowed in state parks, because the week before I had seen hunters camping at cedars of Lebanon with obvious rifle cases coming and going to the state forest in UTV's. He basically said that technically firearms are prohibit at all state parks, but it is not enforced by individual officers unless there are other problems. He said Lebanon had been a discussion before and that it was basically a blind eye until people start complaining.

In my opinion, by asking the questions and forcing the issue, you're going to clear up the blurred line and possible force them to take a hard stance concerning the ramp in question.

Wolverine72

I wish I had only asked for him to wait for me in the parking lot so I could have asked more questions. He was very respectful toward me and I don't want to cause more issues. Had I asked him, maybe he woukd have shown me the regulations.
I'm sure I'll see him again and I'll be very respectful with my line of questions and maybe get it cleared up. I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Headhunter

I would ask him where do you access the "huntable" land from? The place in LaVergne I mentioned, the TWRA and TWF helped block access to the land. They said they helped get the guard rail installed to cut down on illegal atv traffic, but it didn't slow it down one bit. All they did was block access to the WMA. Can't wait to see what happens when I park at the greenway lot, and walk the greenway to access the WMA to hunt with my treestand and gun or decoys and gun to duck hunt. Might be interesting if ducks show up and the creek I hunt is less about 100 yards from the greenway. I actually have killed pile of deer not far from the greenway in one tree, it is on the Davidson county side of the creek. Might be interesting when I shoot a deer with muzzleloader or shotgun.

hammer33

This is happening way too much on too many management areas. Its obviously a strategy being used by connected land owners and PETA types to eliminate hunting without having to get laws changed to ban hunting. We have thousands of acres of WMA hunting land but it matters not if they can simply block off the access points. I think that if the TWRA / TVA is going to designate safety areas to make hikers, bikers, horse riders etc.... "FEEL" safer from those scary hunters, then they need to provide hunter parking lots/access points that exclude hikers, bikers, horse riders etc... Since hunters are providing the funds for TWRA to acquire and manage those lands, we should have priority during the 3 month hunting season. If hunters funds are going to be used to block access to hunting, then maybe TWRA needs a budget cut.

Wolverine72

So,finally I have an update.
I spoke to the Seargent today over my hunting area.

I explained I was told by the local officer (in 2022) I was not allowed to pass through a "safety zone" with my hunting gear/weapon and that I was wrong for having done so. In this case I parked in a safety zone and walked I to the hunting zone to hunt.

The seargent explained to me that as long as my weapon is not loaded and my bow does not have an arrow nocked, I'm not considered to be "hunting" and that I can certainly park in a safety zone and walk with my hunting gear/weapon into the hunting area.

In my mind, I've prided myself in always trying to do the right thing while hunting. Staying safe and abiding by the laws, has always been my intended practice.

I'm so Thankful that today, I found I was in the right with respect to what the last officer had told me. Definitely keeping this officers name and number in my contact list.

Not speaking poorly on the 1st officer, as I know not one of us is perfect. He was very respectful and kind. But he was not correct.

Happy 2023-24 hunting all

Bone Collector

With all due respect, I don't get what y'all don't understand? It's a safety zone with no hunting allowed. You can't just walk through there as if you're hunting with no intent to hunt. The purpose is exactly as you guessed, so people accessing the ramp and/or park don't see people walking around hunting. I would guess pushing the issue about the ramp itself could potentially move it out of the gray area into the black and white, and not in your favor.
I carry mine through the parking lot all the time to my truck or to my boat. It is not loaded. Most times I have pistol on my hip as I am allowed to carry legally and you never know who is down there (remember Mona boat ramp incident?). Having a weapon loaded or unloaded is not hunting. I see people park at ramps and walk in to hunt all the time.

I see people going out and coming in from hunting during season. No one puts their gun in a boat and loads it into the water unless there is someone with them. They all load their boat, go park, then walk to the boat with their gun. If you're alone and leave a gun in your boat, what's to stop some random fisherman (they're there...) from walking up and taking it?

***edit to add*** I thought what the OP posted above to comments was what I was told and what I have always done. Thanks for the update!

Last edited:

kaizen leader

I carry mine through the parking lot all the time to my truck or to my boat. It is not loaded. Most times I have pistol on my hip as I am allowed to carry legally and you never know who is down there (remember Mona boat ramp incident?). Having a weapon loaded or unloaded is not hunting. I see people park at ramps and walk in to hunt all the time.

I see people going out and coming in from hunting during season. No one puts their gun in a boat and loads it into the water unless there is someone with them. They all load their boat, go park, then walk to the boat with their gun. If you're alone and leave a gun in your boat, what's to stop some random fisherman (they're there...) from walking up and taking it?

***edit to add*** I thought what the OP posted above to comments was what I was told and what I have always done. Thanks for the update!
That's a cold case that needs to be reopened! I heard the cops know who did it but can't prove it. What a shame.

kaizen leader

I had someone destroy my Edge camera. Stabbed the motion lens. I'm out $100. I ordered another one and I think I'll hang it high up. How well do trail cameras do from high up? I think I'll put a regular camera where the Edge was damaged and watch it too.

Poker

So,finally I have an update.
I spoke to the Seargent today over my hunting area.

I explained I was told by the local officer (in 2022) I was not allowed to pass through a "safety zone" with my hunting gear/weapon and that I was wrong for having done so. In this case I parked in a safety zone and walked I to the hunting zone to hunt.

The seargent explained to me that as long as my weapon is not loaded and my bow does not have an arrow nocked, I'm not considered to be "hunting" and that I can certainly park in a safety zone and walk with my hunting gear/weapon into the hunting area.

In my mind, I've prided myself in always trying to do the right thing while hunting. Staying safe and abiding by the laws, has always been my intended practice.

I'm so Thankful that today, I found I was in the right with respect to what the last officer had told me. Definitely keeping this officers name and number in my contact list.

Not speaking poorly on the 1st officer, as I know not one of us is perfect. He was very respectful and kind. But he was not correct.

Happy 2023-24 hunting all
I don't see how this is any different than walking down the road with a firearm/bow. For decades, the rule was you carried your weapon unloaded or it was considered 'hunting' which is illegal to do from the road.

Planking

I don't see how this is any different than walking down the road with a firearm/bow. For decades, the rule was you carried your weapon unloaded or it was considered 'hunting' which is illegal to do from the road.
You can hunt all you want from the road you just have to stay in your vehicle and use a thermal at night on private landowners.

Latest posts