Iowa zone 4,5,6

EastTNboy

For the ones that's have went on a DIY iowa public land hunt in any of the above zones I'm curious to know what you all thought. I will have four points this year and will be trying to cash them in. I know zone 5 has the most public but seems to have the most pressure from what I've read. Was considering hunting 4 or 6 but I'm curious to hear what others think that have been there. Any advice on these zones is appreciated. Not looking for anyone spots just trying to narrow down on a zone. Thanks!

nwsg76

I'll be hunting public.
I should have said the type of cover on the ground you hunt is important. Ditches and fence rows can be great during the rut. Deer will follow the edge. But a 80 acre tract with 20 ft wide tree lined ditch during late season is not much help.
Conversely 200 acres of timber is fun to hunt. But with archery it can be a challenge. I prefer archery hunting the fencers and ditch type areas. If gun hunting....I like more cover. But just a personal preference.
Draw a tag, scout, scout, and scout. Then hang and enjoy. An iowa tag is about the experience!

EJ1

I have 3 points now and need to make up my mind if I'm going public or outfitter.
99% it will be public due to the cost of outfitters for a week of hunting.

Oked

Are u bow hunting I assume? I muzzleloader hunted in 2020 in zone 5 for 5 days and did not see one other truck around lake I was hunting and not one hunter in the woods. I'm sure it will be busier during archery season but I think u can find places with much pressure. A good friend lives there and he says it isn't bad. If you need more info feel free to pm me. I'll help u all I can.

Oked

Took this 12 point in 2020

Attachments

• KIMG0969.JPG
    KIMG0969.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 204

EastTNboy

Are u bow hunting I assume? I muzzleloader hunted in 2020 in zone 5 for 5 days and did not see one other truck around lake I was hunting and not one hunter in the woods. I'm sure it will be busier during archery season but I think u can find places with much pressure. A good friend lives there and he says it isn't bad. If you need more info feel free to pm me. I'll help u all I can.
Yes I will be bow hunting.

Latest posts