Rifle calibers you don't like

CharlieTN

This is an interesting thread and I love how most will admit that it comes down to unique factors or personal preference.

When I first moved to Alaska I was young and broke so I wanted a gun I could kill everything with. I bought a Ruger M77 in 3338 WM. I HATED that gun. After about 5 rounds at the range my shoulder would be twitching so much I couldn't shoot it anymore. I do blame the gun as much as the cartridge through as it just didn't have the right ergonomics for me.

Personally I'm not a fan of most of the magnums. Here in East Tennessee where I live and hunt they're just not needed and destroy a lot of meat. To take that further I stay away from long actions. I like to be able to stay on the scope while I work the bolt and with a long action, the bolt of most guns will hit me in the face.

Old cull buck hunter

45-70
I had the bright idea to buy one in a NEF break action, it kicked way too much. It would be OK in a heavier gun I guess.
308 is my favorite along with 7wsm

REN

have always hated the 270, 7mm and 3006 mostly due to guys I knew that shot them thought anything else was for sissies or idiots. also because I grew up shooting a 243 (and still do sometimes) and was always made fun of (until they saw the truck loads of AL deer I killed with it and outshot them at the range).

Have warmed up to the 3006 over the years but I have always been an off caliber type guy. Always loved the 6mm, 260, 7mm-08 type guns personally. I just always liked to be different I guess.

Orion6

I've never owned a single .270. Don't really hate the caliber but don't really see the need.

That said, I miss my 7mm Rem Mag. With factory loads its barely above .270 in performance, but I loved shooting that rifle. I had a Remington with a Supercell pad and it was a cream puff.

I haven't tried a 6.5 Creedmoor but might. I pretty much like to shoot anything so other than the .270 I have no real biases.

jakeway

TNRifleman":vbbp4rlh said:
Can't think of a single caliber I don't like. I may not care for guys who are overzealous about their favorite caliber but it is not the calibers fault.

Well said. Especially with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought one a few years ago after avoiding it, but now I really glad I bought one. IMO it really is right in the middle of a handful of cartridges that are darn near perfect deer cartridges (260 REM, 6.5 CM, 6.5X55, and 7mm-08.

As for "Hating", I have little use for the 30/30, unless you want to use a lever action rifle or a single shot handgun. Even then I'd rather use a different cartridge.

GOODWIN

I like them all. I dislike inaccurate guns.

Why so much distaste for the 30-06? Too boring? Too versatile? Too popular?

Atchman2

GOODWIN":1imb6omm said:

My only distaste is I am a wuss and it kicks a little too hard for my liking. Of course the last one I shot was a Springfield with a metal butt plate. :D May try it again. I've been pondering buying a BAR in 30 06, for hog hunting.

infoman jr.

GOODWIN":1a4o5ijr said:

I have a general 'meh' feeling toward any long action cartridge until you get into the magnums.

Latest posts