Rifle calibers you don't like

Rabbitkil

We all have certain calibers for one reason or another you don't want to own or just don't care for, was thinking about it last night at work and figured it would be interesting to see

Mine are 3006 just cause where I grew up every redneck wouldn't shut up about it and it's almost a necessity to be a "baar" hunter

6.5 creedmoor loved the one I had and killed deer with it but it got the point of hating to mention what I shot because of the giant fanboys

Lost Lake

I used to dislike several cartridges when I was younger, but now I realize they all work fairly well. When I was a teenager, 30/06 guys made fun of 30/30 guys, and .270 guys made fun of all of us. And Weatherby guys wouldn't even acknowledge anyone who didn't use one of Roy's babies.

I do see how hyping a cartridge incessantly turns some folks off.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Never really hated any of them, until the creeedmoooorreee. :rotf:

When I started buying centerfires I intentionally stayed away from the .270, 3006 and 3030 because everyone had one.
No real reason otherwise.

First ones I bought were a .308, .300 win mag and a 22-250 :D

ImThere

RUGER":2989q3yv said:
Never really hated any of them, until the creeedmoooorreee. :rotf:

When I started buying centerfires I intentionally stayed away from the .270, 3006 and 3030 because everyone had one.
No real reason otherwise.

First ones I bought were a .308, .300 win mag and a 22-250 :D
Well aren't you just a rebel!!!

I hated all the long actions because my Dad and Uncle would only let me shoot my 243 so it became the best caliber ever!

Growing up I practically lived at my Uncles house. He would spend his week loading ammo for my savage 243 I would spend the weekend shooting them all. He had a 1000yd range and I would often waste 100 rounds trying to hit it! Lol.
0-250 I was a rock star
250-500 I tried! Lol

I am about sick of hearing about the creedmoor! I might have to buy one so I can be with the"in" crowd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtaylor

I don't discriminate. I love all guns but some I love more than others. Not a huge fan of anything that will knock me on my butt when I shoot it. I like a gun to be equally good at killing stuff as it is fun to shoot repeatedly at the range. Of my guns the one I have the least amount of love for is my 444 Marlin just because the ballistics are what you would expect from that kind of gun.

7mm08

I like and respect anything someone wants to shoot well. What I don't like is someone tying to convince me THEIR caliber is the best when 99% of the calibers are statistically NO DIFFERENT than the next.

DaveB

7mag, I just cannot take that recoil. Yes, I know, I own two 300 Win Mags.

30/30, I had a 336c for a decade. Never could get it to shoot straight.

Urban_Hunter

I always hated the 243. I've seen more deer lost with them than probably all other calibers combined. Now later in life I realize that this was really the result of two things. 1st and most importantly IMO is bullet composition. That sucker is screaming and weight retention is key. It takes an all copper bullet, a true bonded bullet, or a Nosler Partition to get the nod from me. I personally witnessed two shots with a Winchester soft point explode on the impact of a young buck, literally not drawing blood but leaving a huge pile of hair behind.

2nd, is the fact that most young people are toting this cartridge and shot placement probably influences the stats just due to inexperience of who uses it.

I now own one and intend on using it this year, 80gr TTSX

MUP

Urban_Hunter":3ql2x3dc said:
I always hated the 243. I've seen more deer lost with them than probably all other calibers combined. Now later in life I realize that this was really the result of two things. 1st and most importantly IMO is bullet composition. That sucker is screaming and weight retention is key. It takes an all copper bullet, a true bonded bullet, or a Nosler Partition to get the nod from me. I personally witnessed two shots with a Winchester soft point explode on the impact of a young buck, literally not drawing blood but leaving a huge pile of hair behind.

2nd, is the fact that most young people are toting this cartridge and shot placement probably influences the stats just due to inexperience of who uses it.

I now own one and intend on using it this year, 80gr TTSX

I got my daughter a Rem Model 770 in .243 three years ago. She killed her first deer with it using 100gr CorLokts two years ago, and just last season she killed her first buck with it using 100 gr NP's over 38.0 gr of AA4350. Both shots thru the heart. :) I agree, shot placement still trumps most any other factor.

Shanman

Had a 300 Ultramag setup for Alaska.....hated shooting it, felt like someone was smacking me with a 2x4. Sold it and setup a Ruger Alaskan in 375, yes it has a wallop to it but it's more of a push than a kick imho. Between the 375 and my old 06 I think I'm covered for any big game I'll ever hunt.

GMB54

350 Rem Mag in a old Rem600. So unpleasant to shoot for the performance you got.

I never understood the fascination with the 6.5 CM other than it fits in a short action. The old 6.5x55 does anything else it can do. I will never buy a Creed as long as you can still buy nice 6.5x55 rifles. I would rather go down to a 6.5 Grendel if action weight/size was the main concern.

hunter0925

I'm not a 270win fan at all. Don't ask me why because I truly don't know but I can't stand the cartridge. Neck it up to a 280, 30-06, 338-06 or a 35whelen and I'm fine with it. Neck it down to a 25-06 or 6.5 and I'm fine. Just don't like the 270.

ROVERBOY

As far as calibers I hate. Thats a tough one for me. I used to didn't like the .30-06, it was just because everybody had one, and now I own 5(3 military and 2 modern hunting). I used to didn't care for the .243, but, you got to give credit where its due. With good shooting it works. Especially when loaded with premium bullets.

Jcalder

Grew up shooting a 30-06 and killed a ton of deer with one. But it was pushed so much in our house growing up I don't much care for it. I've owned a 270, 30-06, 308, 243, 223 (which is another I don't care for), 7x57, and 280. I'm starting to really like a 7mm. But I doubt I ever go to magnum. I've skinned too many deer shot with a magnum and prefer to eat them instead of picking thru the blood shot mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts