Reckon I'm going to be a duck hunter

Mud Creek

No Money Confused Travolta GIF

Tweeter

Welcome to the dark side!!!!
Waders, decent wader pants, waterproof jacket, floating gun bag, blind bag, steel shot

Drake is having a sale right now

OldGoat68

Extras---extra gloves, socks, hat, sunglasses etc. The day that it's pouring rain or you fall in at the ramp will not be ruined because you are prepared. And yes, this is a good time to buy sale items. You'll save $$ buying 6 months in advance, and be able to find things now that you won't a couple weeks before season begins. Learn from the old guys and enjoy.

Coltens

I use Frogg Toggs Grand Refuge 2.0 and have really liked them. I believe the Rogers are the same waders as well. My normal setup is long johns, sweat pants and sweatshirt over top, waders, and a puffy jacket. I always take two pairs of gloves, one pair that are tall, waterproof, and another set that are smaller for normal activities. Merino wool socks are worth the money also. Gore Tex or Windproof is awesome as well.

dsa5455

I only went a few times as a guest but cooking breakfast was a big thing to those guys. Also, a neck full of different calls and how to properly use them. I never seemed to get the gruntle part down. So lots of practice.

Iglow

I started with a shotgun/ #5 lead, a burlap bag with 1 dz flambeau waterkeels,a Lohman call and a pair of green rubber chestwaders so it don't take a mountain of stuff but the most important thing of course is somewhere to hunt.

Dodge Man

I started with a shotgun/ #5 lead, a burlap bag with 1 dz flambeau waterkeels,a Lohman call and a pair of green rubber chestwaders so it don't take a mountain of stuff but the most important thing of course is somewhere to hunt.
I would say the minimum to hunt today is not much different other then a must to use nontoxic shot.

I know plenty of people that use their deer hunting clothing. Shoot a old shotgun with budget steel shot and kill some ducks. Any thing else is technically for comfort.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I would not spend money to hunt ducks in Tennessee unless I had one of the few consistently good places to go. If I were you I would spend the yearly money on a good trip up north where it's fun to hunt waterfowl instead of begging a duck or two to come in range a couple times a year.

Iglow

I go once in a while. Lol. Honestly, it takes lots of time in the field to learn. Years. A tough sport. All dependent on water, weather. But my favorite. I'm 62. Have duck hunted since 14. My passion. You will love it. Good luck.
Yea, once the duck hunting snake sinks it's fangs in you you're done, you'll likely never gett'em out.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I would not spend money to hunt ducks in Tennessee unless I had one of the few consistently good places to go. If I were you I would spend the yearly money on a good trip up north where it's fun to hunt waterfowl instead of begging a duck or two to come in range a couple times a year.

Well, that would entail spending money on equipment to go north. Might as well hunt opening day here, too. It's a zoo, but there are birds.

wayne

I've been invited to go with this group to N. Dakota for 10 days. I was told I would see more ducks in that 10 days than I would all season in Tennessee.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Well, that would entail spending money on equipment to go north. Might as well hunt opening day here, too. It's a zoo, but there are birds.
True, but one could probably get a weeks worth of great hunting in North Dakota for the same cost of hunting all year here for one day of great hunting.

I do understand that there are really good places to hunt in TN for ducks and that there are places in North Dakota that aren't any good, but for the price and adventure it is so worth going up there…at least it used to be until I stopped going in 2003.

Latest posts