Reckon I'm going to be a duck hunter

wayne

What gear do I need to start buying? I have an 870 and a BPS to choose from gun wise. Anything else, I'm starting from scratch.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Get some old decoys (no more than 3 dozen—one dozen is fine starting out), paint the hens black and white, and "Texas rig" them.

Waders, yes.

Blind bag and headlamps, yes.

From there it's just figuring out what else you need to stay warm. When it gets below 30 degrees, I use polyester sweat pants under my waders (along with polyester long johns), and a down puffy jacket over my base layer and hoodie (again, polyester).
I also like a muff for my hands.

Oh, and the single best thing I ever discovered were merino wool socks.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
As for steel shot, I like #4's for shots under 30 yards (timber, breaks, little wood duck holes). #2 the rest of the time—that's what I tend to load most of the time…it just kills them better.

wayne

What is a blind bag/box?
As far as decoys, I won't need those yet as I am tagging along with others.
Waders: which brands and materials should I stay away from.

cbhunter

What is a blind bag/box?
Breathable waders for sure

Blind bag is small bag that holds a few boxes of shells, headlamp, I usually throw gloves and such In mine. Most hunts I could carry 10 shells and have plenty left over

Redfox

Cabelas super mags used to be great for the $$ but i don't see them much anymore since BP bought them. I wouldn't recommend gator, banded, or drake in waders. For a new guy I'd probably recommend lacrosse.

Blind bags are just a sack you put all your junk in (ammo, calls, lighter, batteries, tape, etc). I prefer the plastic ammo cans that are waterproof. The ammo can provides more protection and stays drier than the bags I have seen, oh and you can sit on it if you need to! I have had the same one for 12 seasons and the seal has finally broken.

MickThompson

What kind of duck hunting will you be doing? If you're hunting from a deep water blind, waders are pretty useless. If you're standing in the water, make sure to bring a hook or strap to hang your bag on

wayne

What kind of duck hunting will you be doing? If you're hunting from a deep water blind, waders are pretty useless. If you're standing in the water, make sure to bring a hook or strap to hang your bag on
All I know is that the blind is an old pontoon boat and it will be located at Woods Reservoir.

Dodge Man

What is a blind bag/box?
I would suggest Frogg Togg waders myself. I have owned a few pairs of them and I don't mess with other brands.

Check out Rodgers Sporting goods. They are running some good sales on waterfowl supplies and ammunition.

Pic IN the Casa

Depends on what your hunting buddies have.

Don't skimp on waders, a good blind box/bag, and a decent headlamp. I don't spend to much on lights because I drop a couple every year. A place to go that will kill ducks is usually handy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try to buy your stuff now instead of fall. A lot of waders are on sale now. It will be more money then. And try waders on before ordering off the internet.

Pattern your gun with steel shot.

If your group doesn't have a heater a small propane heater can make a miserable day bearable.

wayne

I would suggest Frogg Togg waders myself. I have owned a few pairs of them and I don't mess with other brands.

Check out Rodgers Sporting goods. They are running some good sales on waterfowl supplies and ammunition.

After watching some YouTube videos, I've learned that Rogers branded waders are actually made by FroggTogg's.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
All I know is that the blind is an old pontoon boat and it will be located at Woods Reservoir.
If you're going to be in a floating blind, warm bibs and knee boots will be fine. And hand warmers are on clearance right now so grab a couple packs. Stick em in a pocket of your coat to warm your hands, stick em in pants pocket if needed. A buddy heater is great to have if there isn't a heater in the blind or not. Also good in a deer blind on a cold morning. A good pair of polarized sunglasses for those bright days. And don't overlook taking snacks with you and a thermos of coffee.

Latest posts