Question?

If you are now ONLY a gun hunter, occasionally bowhunting...
and:

if you were going to STRICTLY bowhunt from now on. If you could only hunt during the regular archery, muzzleloader, and gun season with your bow, would you hunt the same way you do now with your gun?

WHat would your goals be?

Would they change?

SEC

I would hunt tighter,thicker places and would probably see mature bucks.

What would you shoot? What would you pass?
Would you be more satisfied with a smaller/younger buck?
Or doe?

Beekeeper

102 said:
What would you shoot? What would you pass?
Would you be more satisfied with a smaller/younger buck?
Or doe?
That would depend on your motivation. If I was interested in filling the freezer I wouldn't pass very much. If I was wanting a "Wall Hanger" then that is what I would wait on.

Mike Belt

Yes and no. I don't think my goals would change but my tactics would need re-adjusted. Now I hunt many places where I can and do see deer from a distance with killing them or not my option. This isn't necessarily field hunting but maybe thick, tight places with a few holes in them. I can tag something with a rifle but not with a bow. I would have to re-adjust distances and to some extent, how I go about with my setup. The same bucks that get free passes now would continue to get tem.

JCDEERMAN

I only have 2 differences in my bow hunting and my gun hunting. I love both just as much as the other and go just about every weekend each season is open.

1) My standards are slightly lower for bucks when I have a bow in my hand.
2) I tend to shoot more does with a bow....I love the thrill and cant stand passing them up. With a gun, its almost too easy and I'm usually looking for bucks

As far as strategy and time thats put in, I work just as hard at both. One more thing, I do have some stands that are gun only stands...only because it is too think or the only tree possible to have a stand in doesnt allow me to clip limbs, whether it be room to pull my bow back, or losing the cover I need while on stand to conceal me. I save those locations for when I can have a gun in my hand....they tend to be cruising locations during the rut, only allowing glimpses of deer - It would be impossible to use a bow

Bottom Hunter

standards don't change, for me, a mounter is a mounter, regardless of the weapon...a doe is still a doe whether shot with a rifle or a bow, no matter the yardage..

I like thick cover, but do hunt fields , but most times I'm looking behind me in the brush..lol.

this season, i have more access to thicker cover and will concentrate my efforts there...

should be fun...good luck