Odd question

LenS

Bucks I could say probably, but definitely not on the does. The does are as wary as always. I've got a couple that know to check out stands when they come through and they have been particularly irritating this year. Concerning the bucks I think I've seen more 2.5 and older bucks than usual. The pre-rut chasing and seeking behavior seemed to stretch out longer this season as well.

The biggest surprise to me this year was the sheer number of deer we saw. Usually a bumper acorn crop means that our sightings are way down but that has not been the case at all this season.

peytoncreekhunter

Has anyone noticed deer being considerably less wary of hunters this year than in past years?
I did have a 4 pt walk up on and all around me mz hunting while hunting on the ground. Maybe its long term covid brain fog that has them dumbfounded.....lol. But kinda serious too, they said deer tested positive for covid so who knows on these crazy times we are living in.

WTNBowHunter

I haven't noticed anything unusual where I hunt but thought this picture was funny. This deer walked by a set I hung a week or so after I hung it. Just hung a 20' stick ladder with a rapid rail above it, a millenium block, and a life line. Not even a stand in the tree and it has cover as well. Typical old doe just walking around looking for a hunter haha!

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 6

BSK

Must be the rapidly declining number of deer hunters and deer hunting pressure in my area. All of Muzzleloader, I think we heard four shots that were not ours. Opening weekend of gun, only 3 shots not ours.

I specifically mention deer hunters/pressure because the area is now crawling with duck hunters. But hardly a deer hunter to be found.

megalomaniac

Must be the rapidly declining number of deer hunters and deer hunting pressure in my area. All of Muzzleloader, I think we heard four shots that were not ours. Opening weekend of gun, only 3 shots not ours.

I specifically mention deer hunters/pressure because the area is now crawling with duck hunters. But hardly a deer hunter to be found.
I think you are correct... deer negatively reacting to human pressure is directly related to the amount of human pressure placed on the deer by hunting.

Our deer behaved the same as always... 4.5yo's walking around in wide open fields at daylight the first few days of hunting, then holding tight to cover unless they were with an estrus doe. After the 2 weeks of intense pressure, completely nocturnal.

As an aside, I heard WAY more shots in ML this year than ever before. Like 10-15 a day on weekends. Sounded like WW3. Bunches in gun season as well, but more ML shots than gun this year.

LenS

On opening day of rifle season I was thinking of how quiet it was. Seems to me like 20 years ago opening morning sounded like WW3. This year, counting the 2 weeks of ML and last week, I suspect I didn't hear 20 shots combined, and half of those were a ways off. But this past Saturday.....even though I am not close to any real duck hunting, that was crazy to hear!

cbhunter

The 10 pt I killed came in and got directly down wind. Threw his nose up but instead of getting the heck out of dodge, he slightly altered his course and continued on to his death

I've only hunted 3-4 times so that's literally my only encounter

DoubleRidge

Concerning the bucks I think I've seen more 2.5 and older bucks than usual. The pre-rut chasing and seeking behavior seemed to stretch out longer this season as well.

The biggest surprise to me this year was the sheer number of deer we saw.

LenS description is almost identical to how I would describe muzzleloader and the first week of rifle...have deer been less wary? Not sure? But no doubt I know we have seen more 2.5 and older bucks than usual this year...and several days the total number of deer sightings has seemed above average. Also from our trail cam pictures we had developed a list of the more mature bucks that we hoped to have an encounter with (trying not to say "hitlist" and trigger anyone)...and from that list...of the top four bucks...we were fortunate to kill #2 in muzzleloader followed by #1 opening of rifle...and #1 we had seen twice before during muzzleloader in the daylight (out of range both times) Note: both #1 & #2 were both chasing or tending a hot doe when killed.....then from the list...I saw buck #3 three times and videoed him twice inside 70 yards...then saw and collected video of buck #4 from 80 to 100yards away twice....also....I can not recall a season where we have seen so many different "good" up and comers on camera....very encouraged.
Honestly its backwards from what i expected following last years terrible mast crop and hard drought? We expected to see more deer in poor condition and that has not been the case...but in the same breath I can say I've talked to a couple of other hunters in our region who have not had an above average season? So I'm not sure what to make of it all?...Interesting to chew on though.

lafn96

On opening day of rifle season I was thinking of how quiet it was. Seems to me like 20 years ago opening morning sounded like WW3. This year, counting the 2 weeks of ML and last week, I suspect I didn't hear 20 shots combined, and half of those were a ways off. But this past Saturday.....even though I am not close to any real duck hunting, that was crazy to hear!
Heard 20+ shots just the morning of the 2nd Saturday of ML. Didn't hear near that many day of the rifle opener.

DoubleRidge

Again....LenS observations and ours are very similar....the number of shots I heard the two weeks of muzzleloader plus first week of rifle was absolutely down in our area...in years past we would see how many shots we could count in a day...and it was amazing...this year not near as many....less people hunting? More people being selective in what they kill? Not sure? It wasnt bad weather...been some beautiful days to hunt.

Latest posts