Another CWD question?

DoubleRidge

The current CWD management plan is to slow the spread but everything we're told is that while we may slow the spread we cant stop it and at this time there is no known cure.
So the question is....What happens after it has spread across the state? When all TN counties have a CWD positive test then what?
What will be the CWD management plan then? Or will any plan be needed? Will we return to normal regulations after there is no spread to slow? Honest questions for which I do not have the answers...but I'm curious.

Omega

I'm sure they'll keep a unit CWD for testing different methods of control, and the only thing that will be relaxed, within the state, is transportation restrictions.

backyardtndeer

I'm sure they'll keep a unit CWD for testing different methods of control, and the only thing that will be relaxed, within the state, is transportation restrictions.
I would agree with the bolded comment. I don't really think they will change the plan any time soon. If anything maybe they may roll back the early opening of "anything goes". I have taken advantage of being able to hunt early with rifle in cwd, although the deer I have killed early with rifle have been well within muzzleloader range, a couple in bow range.

mike243

Another good ? is if somebody eats the infected deer and it is known that it can lay dormant for years, Is there a test to ck your blood ?. couple 5 years latter kick the bucket and symptoms mimic other diseases and your buried without anybody aware of what took you out, if monkeys can catch it from eating the meat we are not that far from them genetically, that's why they have been used for a long time for medical research.

Omega

Another good ? is if somebody eats the infected deer and it is known that it can lay dormant for years, Is there a test to ck your blood ?. couple 5 years latter kick the bucket and symptoms mimic other diseases and your buried without anybody aware of what took you out, if monkeys can catch it from eating the meat we are not that far from them genetically, that's why they have been used for a long time for medical research.
The only research I read about that had a monkey get it, the prions were directly inserted into the brain. I've not seen any studies where it was contracted through ingesting tainted meat.

Buzzard Breath

I've noticed that they haven't been putting some of the fringe counties in unit CWD after they have a possitive. Hopefully, they just continue leave the seasons alone as it spreads.

fairchaser

Remains to be seen if the TWRA will change their program on CWD once it has fully spread. I would expect them to go to a maintenance program versus an eradication program.

I know In Wisconsin they are complaining about low deer populations now. I can tell you killing all these does is a bad idea. They are the future of the deer herd. I'd like to see if the herd can bounce back some if we reduce the doe limits or even eliminate any doe harvest for a time.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Remains to be seen if the TWRA will change their program on CWD once it has fully spread. I would expect them to go to a maintenance program versus an eradication program.

I know In Wisconsin they are complaining about low deer populations now. I can tell you killing all these does is a bad idea. They are the future of the deer herd. I'd like to see if the herd can bounce back some if we reduce the doe limits or even eliminate any doe harvest for a time.
I don't disagree with you on the premise BUT in many areas the population already far exceeds carrying capacity of the land including agriculture! In those areas the result of not taking does could be a greater catastrophe. Biologicals count on mass population centers to spread and mutate, not sure the prion can mutate but potential hosts can!!!

DeerCamp

Also a great way to make sure it takes as long as possible for deer to develop natural immunity

Latest posts