Food Plots Question for BSk

square

I have 9 acres of foodplots. Each about 1 acre. I fertilize with 300 lbs of 13-13-13/acre In the past I have planted a premix that has oats, wheat , and rye grass with a little clover and austrian peas at 100lbs/ acre supplemented with a couple lbs of clover and turnips. I have planted the turnips for so many years that I think they have a fungus and aren't doing well. I'm goingto lay off the brassicas for a year or two. I'm thinking of making my own mix of oats/wheat/ cereal rye/clover. What do you think of this mix? Percentages? Do I gain anything with the cereal rye?

BSK

The more species in your mix the better. That prevents a total plot failure. With more species in the ground, losing one isn't a big deal. I would have no problem mixing wheat, oats and rye, with some clover added (generally an annual). I would probably mix the three cereal grains equally, say 35 pounds per acre of each of the three.

As for the brassicas, any time you plant the same plant in the same ground for a number of years, the chances of disease increase. That's one of the reasons farmers rotate crops, to decrease the chances of a disease getting into the crop.

square

Thanks! I know you grow some good plots. Mine are pretty good, but I want to get completely away from the rye grass. Our deer seem to really like the oats so would it hurt to go a little heavier on the oats?

Tn_Va_Hunter

I had the same issue. Planted brassicas 3 year in a row. Last year was a complete failure. I didn't know to not plant brassicas more than 2 years in a row.

I always plant early because my place sits in the mountains and it always freezes sooner.

This year I planted a mix of winter wheat, buckwheat, oats and some clover. It's coming in great and also helps build the soil up for future plantings. Next year I'll probably do a combination like this year but maybe throw in some turnips.

BSK

Thanks! I know you grow some good plots. Mine are pretty good, but I want to get completely away from the rye grass. Our deer seem to really like the oats so would it hurt to go a little heavier on the oats?
Not at all. Cereal grains are like a lot of other plants. Deer have preferences based on region/soil. In one area, they like rye best. In another wheat. In another oats. It's all trial and error to find what your local deer like best.

BSK

We are doing 50 lbs rye, 25 lbs wheat, 25 lbs oats per acre. Also 9 lbs crimson, 2.5 lbs turnips. I have some leftover soybeans so I may throw that in there - about 20 lbs per acre. The soybeans will be interesting to see. Goal is for them to hit that first and stay off other stuff
I use Buckwheat for that purpose, but only because it grows better in my terrible soil than soybeans. However, soybeans would be more attractive until the first freeze.

Bgoodman30

I have always bought pre mixed blends or just eyed my mixes. Thinking of making my own mixes this years and bagging them.

Do ya'll have Coop do them or weigh them at home and mix?

tellico4x4

I've got a seed company 5 miles from my house that does my blends. They charge me anywhere from . 05# - .10# depending on qty for custom blend. They also do most of AL Co-Op seed, a lot of Biologics & other Buck on a bag companies.

lafn96

I've got a seed company 5 miles from my house that does my blends. They charge me anywhere from . 05# - .10# depending on qty for custom blend. They also do most of AL Co-Op seed, a lot of Biologics & other Buck on a bag companies.
At those prices, have you thought about doing your own custom label and selling?

DoubleRidge

I have always bought pre mixed blends or just eyed my mixes. Thinking of making my own mixes this years and bagging them.

Do ya'll have Coop do them or weigh them at home and mix?
Last year I bought raddish, turnip and rape seed and mixed a blend myself....dumped everything in a 100qt cooler and stirred....then I weighed it out in several heavy gallon zip lock bags then placed all those bags in a box to transport....and when we pulled up to sow a plot I already had calculated how many bags I needed for that particular plot.....then we went back and top sowed them all in cereal rye and winter wheat...its an extra step mixing your own but you can save a little money....and I enjoy the process when time allows.

tellico4x4

Last year I bought raddish, turnip and rape seed and mixed a blend myself....dumped everything in a 100qt cooler and stirred....then I weighed it out in several heavy gallon zip lock bags then placed all those bags in a box to transport....and when we pulled up to sow a plot I already had calculated how many bags I needed for that particular plot.....then we went back and top sowed them all in cereal rye and winter wheat...its an extra step mixing your own but you can save a little money....and I enjoy the process when time allows.
That's the best way imo to ensure that small seed doesn't get planted too deep, especially if done immediately in front of rain. I always cultipack the cereal grain in, then hand sow the small stuff

Last edited:

Latest posts