Food Plots Select cut timber question

Huntaholic

I like your work ethic. I bet it has helped you through out the years in logging no doubt.
Im a 3rd generation logger and both of my sons work with me so we are 4 generations deep. Im not obligated to any sawmill or lumber company, I market timber myself and as such Im not on any quota or timeline. Typically I can get you more money for your timber than an individual buyer or sawmill can because I play the markets and take it to whoever is paying the most. More money for you equals more money for me and I dont have to rape, pillage and plunder your property to get it, therefore I can leave your property and young timber in better shape than most others. I DO NOT DO CLEARCUTS AND I DONT DEAL IN PINE or any of that crap! If I cut your timber you or your kids will cut it again in 25 years.

BSK

These are my roads during the logging. Luckily, the day I took this picture the ground was frozen hard as concrete. Above freezing and the roads were undriveable, even for an ATV. What did the loggers do to "fix" this? Leveled the bottom of the "trench." That's it. Left the big walls of dirt on both sides, which guarantees water runs right down the road and can't leave. Had one section of road - on a ridge-top - that was trenched so deep and held so much water that I could literally paddle a canoe down the road for over 100 yards.

Attachments

• logging9.jpg
    logging9.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 19

Huntaholic

These are my roads during the logging. Luckily, the day I took this picture the ground was frozen hard as concrete. Above freezing and the roads were undriveable, even for an ATV. What did the loggers do to "fix" this? Leveled the bottom of the "trench." That's it. Left the big walls of dirt on both sides, which guarantees water runs right down the road and can't leave. Had one section of road - on a ridge-top - that was trenched so deep and held so much water that I could literally paddle a canoe down the road for over 100 yards.
Thats inexcusable! Theres absolutely no reason to leave roads like that especially on a ridge top! Level it back in, put some "turn outs" in it, tell the landowner to stay off of it while its wet and until it settles back in, and its done. I know loggers that dont even own a dozer, they hire their roads built and only run skidders, I dont see how they stay in business! I own 2 dozers and only one skidder so Ive always got a dozer on site to take care of my roads.

BSK

Thats inexcusable! Theres absolutely no reason to leave roads like that especially on a ridge top! Level it back in, put some "turn outs" in it, tell the landowner to stay off of it while its wet and until it settles back in, and its done. I know loggers that dont even own a dozer, they hire their roads built and only run skidders, I dont see how they stay in business! I own 2 dozers and only one skidder so Ive always got a dozer on site to take care of my roads.
The loggers had a dedicated dozer and operator, but all he knew how to do was open skidder roads. Basically, just roads straight up and down the hills. I asked him to fix our primary roads with broad-based dips and water turn-outs. He didn't know what I was talking about. Instead - in our main roads driven daily - he piled up water-bars, some 3 feet tall! makes for an interesting ride, especially on a tractor with heavy implements attached.

Huntaholic

The loggers had a dedicated dozer and operator, but all he knew how to do was open skidder roads. Basically, just roads straight up and down the hills. I asked him to fix our primary roads with broad-based dips and water turn-outs. He didn't know what I was talking about. Instead - in our main roads driven daily - he piled up water-bars, some 3 feet tall! makes for an interesting ride, especially on a tractor with heavy implements attached.
Thats sad but he only knows what he has been taught or is getting paid to do. Pretty much anybody can move a dozer around, push dirt, etc...... thats not an OPERATOR. An operator has a sense of grade, slope, etc..... hardwired into the seat of his pants.

348Winchester

Thats sad but he only knows what he has been taught or is getting paid to do. Pretty much anybody can move a dozer around, push dirt, etc...... thats not an OPERATOR. An operator has a sense of grade, slope, etc..... hardwired into the seat of his pants.
What county are you in? Are you near Morgan County?

Huntaholic

What county are you in? Are you near Morgan County?
Jackson co is where I live but I typically work in Jackson, Putnam, Smith, Overton, Clay, with an occasional venture into White, Macon, Dekalb, etc.... Morgan is a tad far for me to travel every day and my guys would rally a mutiny if I told them we had to stay a few nights a week to work lol.

BigAl

Your logger sucked arse then. I hate to say that, but if they cant take the time to fix the roads back, level the landing yards, etc...... then they NEED SHOOTING.
When I leave a job you can drive your wife's Subaru on my skid trails and sow seeds on my logyards.
Not my property. I'm on a lease and the absentee landowner has no care about the place.

Latest posts