Food Plots Crazy Food Plot Question

Spurhunter

Everyone I talk to that plants food plots constantly begs for rain that we never get. Say I had one of those 500 gallon plastic totes with the metal cage around it and I cut the top out, put a screen over it, placed it on a big hill above a 1/2 acre food plot, and let it catch rain all year. After planting, I could water the plot with a water hose hooked to the tote. How much good would 500 gallons of water do on a 1/2 acre plot? What am I missing here? Why wouldn't this work?

megalomaniac

Hmm... lets see... 1 inch of rainfall on 1 acre is 27,154 gallons. If my math is correct, 500 gallons on a half acre would be the equivalent to a 0.035in rainfall event. Better than nothing I suppose, but not much better. Now if you watered 1/10th of an acre with 500 gallons 4 or 5 times from Sept thru mid Oct, that would absolutely make a difference.

tellico4x4

Everyone I talk to that plants food plots constantly begs for rain that we never get. Say I had one of those 500 gallon plastic totes with the metal cage around it and I cut the top out, put a screen over it, placed it on a big hill above a 1/2 acre food plot, and let it catch rain all year. After planting, I could water the plot with a water hose hooked to the tote. How much good would 500 gallons of water do on a 1/2 acre plot? What am I missing here? Why wouldn't this work?
1" rain over 1/2 acre equals 13,577 gallons

Mega beat me to it LOL

Latest posts