Food Plots Dew question

Acorn Goat

The morning dew has been quite heavy the last few mornings. With that being said does the dew create enough moisture on smaller seed to give them energy to germinate and take off.

tellico4x4

.46" for us in September from 4 shower's, Wayne Co. Only planted 4 out of 39 so far & haven't been to check them yet. Only a chance of showers with next front, WC showing 07" & Accuweather showing. 31". Might take a chance on few more if AW forecast holds.

Have even quit mowing due to dry dusty conditions. Could only do it about 30 minutes at a time before having to stop & knock dust from outer air filter on tractor. With all the dust & weed debris the bush hog kicks up it's even hard to see behind you sometimes.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Same thoughts as others. If it's green, it will suck up some moisture and benefit. But generally not enough for the seeds to sprout.

AlabamaSwamper

.46" for us in September from 4 shower's, Wayne Co. Only planted 4 out of 39 so far & haven't been to check them yet. Only a chance of showers with next front, WC showing 07" & Accuweather showing. 31". Might take a chance on few more if AW forecast holds.

Have even quit mowing due to dry dusty conditions. Could only do it about 30 minutes at a time before having to stop & knock dust from outer air filter on tractor. With all the dust & weed debris the bush hog kicks up it's even hard to see behind you sometimes.
I got lucky….. maybe

I planted the Thursday and Friday before that last rain a few weeks ago. On my end of the county I got almost 2"

But nothing since. My throw and mow plots look really good. The ones I had to cut in are good but not as good.

hitek7

Germination? I doubt it. But my turnips that I planted earlier that actually got enough rain to sprout like the dew. They will be green in the morning time and back to purple/brown in the afternoon. And back to green in the morning. Unfortunately, it is not enough to grow them quick enough for the deer to destroy them... They will not last much longer.

BSK

Unfortunately, the Climate Prediction Center has Western and Middle Tennessee, as well as the most of Alabama in their "Rapid Onset Drought Risk" category. October is expected to be much below normal precip, and October is already one of the driest months statistically.

Latest posts