Food Plots Fertilizer Question

Spurhunter

I didn't get around to getting soil tests done this year, and we are planting Whitetail Institute Winter Greens Saturday. Is it ok to put Triple 13 out with the seed or should I get soil samples Saturday, send them off, and fertilize later? Seems like it's late in the game to wait. What say you?

tellico4x4

I didn't get around to getting soil tests done this year, and we are planting Whitetail Institute Winter Greens Saturday. Is it ok to put Triple 13 out with the seed or should I get soil samples Saturday, send them off, and fertilize later? Seems like it's late in the game to wait. What say you?
You can spread fert after they get up a few inches, if year to go ahead & get soil test going.

Spurhunter

Not really bad, but with today's prices I like to see how good a "stand" I get before spreading.
We have 3 small plots that probably equal 1 acre combined. I was going to put 100 pounds of Triple 13 or 15 on each one, so the cost wouldn't be that high. I'm willing to risk the fertilizer cost if it won't hurt anything.

Spurhunter

I went to Whitetail Institute (which I should've done first instead of being lazy). Their planting instructions say if you don't do a soil sample disc in 2 tons of lime per acre and 400 pounds of Triple 17 per acre, then broadcast seed and don't cover it.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
They want to compensate for the nitrogen that evaporates.
Hope you don't have a bunch of cool season grasses about to germinate in that dirt! With that much fertilizer it will out run your brassicas
If you must fertilize now do 200 lb / acre then if needed hit it again in a few weeks after it's up and trying to out compete the grass

Latest posts