Food Plots Fertilizer timeframe for clover

NewGuy

Good Afternoon Folks,
I am planting clover in a 6000' SF kill plot in the woods along with a 10000' SF plot on the edge of a hay field. I have my soil sample and know how much fertilizer I need. I don't plan to seed until next weekend. I tilled everything today and was curious if I should fertilize today or wait until next weekend?

Additionally, I don't have a cultipacker. Can I use a Three-point rake but spin it around so the curved side faces the tractor and go over it that way to "brush" it in?

Thanks for the help.

TNlandowner

It won't hurt putting the fertilizer in now. How's your soil PH? Did you have to apply lime? How is the soil prepared? Is it smooth and deep from a tiller or rough from a disc?

Clover is a very small seed, so be sure not to cover it too deep. On a small plot, run over the ground and pack the soil with the tractor or an atv.... then spread your seed before the next rain.

deerhunter10

I would not rake it in that way. Clover is very small and can be put in to deep easy. As said above better off packing it some how then seeding it. We always cultipack then seed clover. Also add a cover crop with it imo wheat or something of that nature. We fertilize different ways but we rarely put fertilizer on plain dirt. If you need lime you need to put that in asap. Also watch nitrogen in your fertilizer with clover it is not needed even though your soil sample may show it does.

mr.big

I disc ground up and sow wheat and put fertilizer on and disc that in as shallow as I can the broadcast the clover on top of that

NewGuy

It won't hurt putting the fertilizer in now. How's your soil PH? Did you have to apply lime? How is the soil prepared? Is it smooth and deep from a tiller or rough from a disc?

Clover is a very small seed, so be sure not to cover it too deep. On a small plot, run over the ground and pack the soil with the tractor or an atv.... then spread your seed before the next rain.
Good morning.
I did have to apply lime per my soil sample results. It was tailored to the two types of clover. I plan to get in the ground. I will drive over more to see if I can pack that soil as I used a Rototiller and it's pretty loose right now.

NewGuy

I disc ground up and sow wheat and put fertilizer on and disc that in as shallow as I can the broadcast the clover on top of that
So do you use winter wheat, mixed with clover then, or do you plant the winter wheat, and then broadcast the clover on top. I am still fairly new and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you so much for the help.

NewGuy

I would not rake it in that way. Clover is very small and can be put in to deep easy. As said above better off packing it some how then seeding it. We always cultipack then seed clover. Also add a cover crop with it imo wheat or something of that nature. We fertilize different ways but we rarely put fertilizer on plain dirt. If you need lime you need to put that in asap. Also watch nitrogen in your fertilizer with clover it is not needed even though your soil sample may show it does.
Good morning. I have already applied lime a few weeks ago per my soil sample. It is very loose soil presently as I used a Rototiller. I will do some more research on additional cover crops. I can use with the clover.

megalomaniac

Like Popcorn said, don't fertilize until after you get a stand established. No need to waste $$$ on fertilizer which will evaporate if no rain in a month. No need to fertilize grasses and weeds if your clover doesn't get established.

I'd add 75lbs wheat per acre mixed with the clover if broadcast. Once it germinates, just hit it with 100lbs triple 13 per acre

BSK

Popcorn and Mega, I take it you only fertilize after planting because you are drilling in seed? I till and broadcast and I can't imagine spreading fertilizer after germination, where it will just sit on top the soil or get washed away by rain. I always lime/fertilize before tilling to incorporate the lime-fertilizer into the soil before seeding.

mr.big

So do you use winter wheat, mixed with clover then, or do you plant the winter wheat, and then broadcast the clover on top. I am still fairly new and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you so much for the help.
I'll start a new thread with what I did today

megalomaniac

Popcorn and Mega, I take it you only fertilize after planting because you are drilling in seed? I till and broadcast and I can't imagine spreading fertilizer after germination, where it will just sit on top the soil or get washed away by rain. I always lime/fertilize before tilling to incorporate the lime-fertilizer into the soil before seeding.
It will soak into the ground just fine even if spread a month after planting unless you get 2 or 3 inches of rain at once.

No need to fertilize at time of planting as a cost savings measure in case of poor germination (a million reasons for that). Just too costly with fertilizer prices as high as they are.

I planted 6 acres a couple weeks ago, got rain (.33 in) once just after, none since until right now. Surprisingly, it germinated great and the wheat and brassicas are 2in tall. Will fertilize in a couple more weeks once I know it has roots to survive the dry conditions.

Pulled the trigger yesterday on 4 more plots and drilled them. Getting some rain on them now as well!

Still holding off on my largest 8ac plot until there is more consistent rain forecast

BSK

I would be concerned about the immobile macro and micronutrients not getting down into the soil if I just spread fertilizer on the surface. Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Copper and Zinc are immobile in the soil, meaning rainwater will not leach them downwards from the surface. Same is true of Nitrogen IF applied as ammonium (it IS mobile if applied as nitrate). A fair amount of surface applied Nitrogen can also be lost to volatilization.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
It will soak into the ground just fine even if spread a month after planting unless you get 2 or 3 inches of rain at once.

No need to fertilize at time of planting as a cost savings measure in case of poor germination (a million reasons for that). Just too costly with fertilizer prices as high as they are.

I planted 6 acres a couple weeks ago, got rain (.33 in) once just after, none since until right now. Surprisingly, it germinated great and the wheat and brassicas are 2in tall. Will fertilize in a couple more weeks once I know it has roots to survive the dry conditions.

Pulled the trigger yesterday on 4 more plots and drilled them. Getting some rain on them now as well!

Still holding off on my largest 8ac plot until there is more consistent rain forecast
This^^^

Mega nailed it and I do broadcast some small woodland plots I cannot get my drill into. Either way I Hold back on the fertilizer, I do not want to encourage a weed problem that I may out compete next spring.

I would be concerned about the immobile macro and micronutrients not getting down into the soil if I just spread fertilizer on the surface. Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Copper and Zinc are immobile in the soil, meaning rainwater will not leach them downwards from the surface. Same is true of Nitrogen IF applied as ammonium (it IS mobile if applied as nitrate). A fair amount of surface applied Nitrogen can also be lost to volatilization.
Clover especially but wheat to a degree are shallow rooted, they will find the macro nutrients and reach out to get them. There is also a product (name escapes me)(urease inhibitor, N-Fixx XLR is one product) that retards volatilization and leaching, I made certain my suppliers use it. Kinda like slow release nitrogen. This will buy you about 2 additional weeks.

Brassicas on the other hand will go deep for their needs and are patient, they will jump when they find what you have to give later.

I am holding back till October to re-establish some older clover plots when I will disk lightly, top spread lime, clover and wheat. Its pretty good soil so there I will hold fertilizer till the clover is proven. The wheat will grow on a rock as long as there is water.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Like popcorn said, the plants are still going to get the immobile micronutrients (which many fertilizers do not contain regardless)

Absolutely nitrogen will evaporate/sublimate. Which is why I never fertilize until right before a predicted rain event. But only fertilize until AFTER I know I got good germination and root system established.

But I'm planting almost 20 acres and $1000 worth of fertilizer.. if you are just planting a handful of small plots, the $$$ potentially saved from wasted fertilizer may not be worth delaying application.

Popcorn is probably planting hundreds of acres and $5000 to $10,000 worth of fertilizer.

BSK

How many acres??
16 tons of lime and fertilizer spread by truck (by Co-op). I could get it done considerably cheaper by having lime truck come separately, but then not enough fertilizer for Co-op to bother spreading by truck. I don't have the time to make buggy trips from the Co-op to spread the fertilizer myself.

deerhunter10

16 tons of lime and fertilizer spread by truck (by Co-op). I could get it done considerably cheaper by having lime truck come separately, but then not enough fertilizer for Co-op to bother spreading by truck. I don't have the time to make buggy trips from the Co-op to spread the fertilizer myself.
That's rough. I feel for you.

Latest posts