Food Plots Crimson clover

JCDEERMAN

I mowed strips in mine last week. Hope this means they're coming back. Lol

View attachment 224791
We may try this next year. As weird as it sounds, I think a lot of the turkeys left our place for shorter fields on surrounding properties. Thats where we heard them gobbling and where we saw several on the way out.

I think if we have several short strips like this in all fields, they'll likely stick around. Any experience with that?

@fulldraw

We may try this next year. As weird as it sounds, I think a lot of the turkeys left our place for shorter fields on surrounding properties. Thats where we heard them gobbling and where we saw several on the way out.

I think if we have several short strips like this in all fields, they'll likely stick around. Any experience with that?
This is first time stripping with the food plot. I have hunted farms where the farmer mowed around hayfields that kept birds on the property. Currently I have hayfields around this property that are getting high. I'm hoping that pushes them back on me.

JCDEERMAN

This is first time stripping with the food plot. I have hunted farms where the farmer mowed around hayfields that kept birds on the property. Currently I have hayfields around this property that are getting high. I'm hoping that pushes them back on me.
I like it. Thought about this too - we also may try out some stripping with our crimper on some of these fields to where it's matted down good but may pop back up by mid-may for our soybean/corn/sorghum drilling. Matting some down for the first 3 weeks of turkey season with the crimper, and some with the bushhog. Will do some experimenting….

tellico4x4

Yep - @rem270 clethodim for grass, butyrac for broadleaf weeds.
and Basagran for the nutsedge. It's a real pia for me. I mowed 5 Landino plots yesterday as the nutsedge was taller than the clover. Will hit them with a mix of 24DB & Basagran in a week. Hoping the earlier than normal start for me will help.

TNlandowner

I tried mowing strips a few years ago. I found two hens that coyotes had killed while they hid on their nests. Not sure of the best method, but now I leave plots alone until August. I keep the side areas cut for feeding areas.
20240421_163837.jpg

Latest posts