Question about Unit-L doe limits

rem270

Heck DA had to shoot through brush to make a shooting hole then shoot the deer to check off Weakley with this one lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-114859_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-114859_Facebook.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 60

easy45

There are some areas where that needs to be lifted. I hunt in Fayette and on one side of the county I struggled to see does but in the other side I could see 8-15 per trip.

BSK

There are some areas where that needs to be lifted. I hunt in Fayette and on one side of the county I struggled to see does but in the other side I could see 8-15 per trip.
I agree that many parts of Unit L no longer need "kill as many does as you can" limits. The problem for the state is, defining those areas. I know places 5 miles apart that have vastly different doe densities. I don't think we can expect the TWRA to be able to set limits that are perfect for every area.

Ski

I don't think we can expect the TWRA to be able to set limits that are perfect for every area.

I've always been of the mind that it's part of the hunter's responsibility to understand the area he/she is hunting and harvest it accordingly, responsibly, with conservation in mind. Just because it's legal to kill 3 does/day doesn't mean the immediate area you're hunting can support it. A few "good" hunts and the area could be irreparably damaged for many seasons to come. A hunter shouldn't need TWRA changing the bag limit to understand that.

BSK

Honestly, we are very, VERY lucky white-tailed deer are such a resilient species. They can be mismanaged severely and they still bounce back fairly quickly.

tnanh

I've always been of the mind that it's part of the hunter's responsibility to understand the area he/she is hunting and harvest it accordingly, responsibly, with conservation in mind. Just because it's legal to kill 3 does/day doesn't mean the immediate area you're hunting can support it. A few "good" hunts and the area could be irreparably damaged for many seasons to come. A hunter shouldn't need TWRA changing the bag limit to understand that.
This is very true but the
Message that it sends is we need to kill more does which is not accurate. More and more people go deer hunting instead of being deer hunters. They dont get the concept you just stated. Also, I have 101 acres. If any of my neighbors kills three does a day it affects my population greatly. I am not against killing does by any means but 3 does a year would be plenty.

BSK

This is very true but the
Message that it sends is we need to kill more does which is not accurate. More and more people go deer hunting instead of being deer hunters. They dont get the concept you just stated. Also, I have 101 acres. If any of my neighbors kills three does a day it affects my population greatly. I am not against killing does by any means but 3 does a year would be plenty.
The problem is, every situation is unique. Some areas are still overrun with does. Some areas are doe deficient. The TWRA can't manage for those little pockets or even sub-county areas. It has to be left up to the hunters to make wise decisions. I would much rather the limits be too liberal than too restrictive. I don't want to go back to the days of the early to mid 2000s when the area that is now Unit L had a serious and growing deer overpopulation problem.

tnanh

The problem is, every situation is unique. Some areas are still overrun with does. Some areas are doe deficient. The TWRA can't manage for those little pockets or even sub-county areas. It has to be left up to the hunters to make wise decisions. I would much rather the limits be too liberal than too restrictive. I don't want to go back to the days of the early to mid 2000s when the area that is now Unit L had a serious and growing deer overpopulation problem.
I dont want to go back to those days either but most of those places are in unit cwd. Cwd and ehd have taken their tole. It may be complicated but being complicated is no excuse for not doing it. When they know ehd especially has hit, and they usually do before deer season has hit, manage accordingly. TWRA are season setters and not very good at managing the herd. I remember very well deer hunting in the 70s. They did a great job of building the deer herd(turkey flocks as well) but not so well managing either after they have been established. Hopefully we are just going through a down cycle with both but limits should be adjusted for those down cycles even if it is complicated.

BSK

I dont want to go back to those days either but most of those places are in unit cwd. Cwd and ehd have taken their tole. It may be complicated but being complicated is no excuse for not doing it. When they know ehd especially has hit, and they usually do before deer season has hit, manage accordingly. TWRA are season setters and not very good at managing the herd. I remember very well deer hunting in the 70s. They did a great job of building the deer herd(turkey flocks as well) but not so well managing either after they have been established. Hopefully we are just going through a down cycle with both but limits should be adjusted for those down cycles even if it is complicated.
Unit L was not brought into existence for West TN (now CWD area), it was developed for western Middle TN. THAT is where the serious over-population problems were. And the deer density was never that high, but for endless hardwoods, it doesn't take many deer to be FAR TOO MANY deer. And even after an EHD outbreak, the loses are often very spotty, with bottomland deer taking a beating but hill-country deer hardly being phased. That's still far too small-scale for a state wildlife agency to manage.

Again, I'll take too liberal limits over too restrictive any day of the week. Let me as the landowner/manager make the decisions on how many to harvest.

tnanh

Unit L was not brought into existence for West TN (now CWD area), it was developed for western Middle TN. THAT is where the serious over-population problems were. And the deer density was never that high, but for endless hardwoods, it doesn't take many deer to be FAR TOO MANY deer. And even after an EHD outbreak, the loses are often very spotty, with bottomland deer taking a beating but hill-country deer hardly being phased. That's still far too small-scale for a state wildlife agency to manage.

Again, I'll take too liberal limits over too restrictive any day of the week. Let me as the landowner/manager make the decisions on how many to harvest.

I appreciate all your posts and your knowledge of Whitetail biology but I have hunted Perry county and Hardeman county since I was. Kid. I am now in my late 50s.
Perry and Hickman have not been in unit L any

backyardtndeer

Many times I could have killed 3 does in a day and also killed a buck. Process our own and that is just too much work.

I agree with taking does but think the liberal limit goes too far. Some areas inside the liberal unit do not have the deer densities to support the hunting practice this allows. All it takes is one to really screw up an entire area.

tnanh

I appreciate all your posts and your knowledge of Whitetail biology but I have hunted Perry county and Hardeman county since I was. Kid. I am now in my late 50s.
Perry and Hickman have not been in unit L any where near as long as west Tennessee. And they need to be taken out for a couple of years. Please look at the harvest numbers for Perry, Hickman, and Lewis counties since 2019. EHD in these counties took 60 percent of the herd minimum. Even more in some areas. Others have seen it also. I am not against the killing of does. If nothing else one a day. But not 3. Even if people dont kill 3 it sends the wrong message to publish it. My oldest son and I have killed three deer total On our land since 2019 and all have been does. Zero bucks. Once again, I really appreciate all your post and have no intention of being argumentative.

Latest posts