Question about Unit-L doe limits

durtynacho

I am new to the state, just moved here from Texas. Beautiful state yall have here, great people as well.

Anyway, I saw the doe limit is 3 per day (GMA). I had to do a double take and thought there's just no way. I mean I know there are a ton of doe here, but can you really take 3 per day, every day during the season? One could take up to 129 doe if they harvested 3 per day, assuming they hunted from November 21st through January 3rd.

Thanks all, happy hunting!

Hunter 257W

Yep, that's a real number. Of course they don't really expect or want you to do that. It was put into place so that a hunter could shoot multiple does in the same day so they would shoot more than just one. Maybe 20 years ago deer numbers got too high in parts of the state and they really needed to hammer does but now not so much. But, Yes, it would be legal to shoot 3 a day 7 days a week all season.

durtynacho

Thanks @Hunter 257W, I appreciate the quick reply.

The 'Farmland Owner License Exemption' is another very nice, and welcome change to the laws that I am used to. Most states that I have hunted in let you take one doe on your own land. Here, sounds like you can hunt all season and shoot all the doe you want without ever having to pay a dime. I still intend to purchase a license each season for hunting elsewhere in the county, I just found the exemption to be very generous of the state and wanted to mention it.

Deer Assassin

can and do is about 3 different things

there are very few hunters in the state that kill over 20 even fewer in 30 or 40's

I know in 07/08 there was a guy that killed 30 my self 32 and like 11 in the 20's

i avg in the 20's and it is a lot of work.

There are plenty of does the problem they have become hard to hunt and every one thinks they have been killed out... but they are there depending on county

Omega

can and do is about 3 different things

there are very few hunters in the state that kill over 20 even fewer in 30 or 40's

I know in 07/08 there was a guy that killed 30 my self 32 and like 11 in the 20's

i avg in the 20's and it is a lot of work.

There are plenty of does the problem they have become hard to hunt and every one thinks they have been killed out... but they are there depending on county
I have been meaning to ask, and you don't have to answer if you don't want, but what do you do with all those deer? I am not typical, but I only keep one deer a year now, and get one or two for guys that don't hunt, but can't emagine having to deal with that many deer in one year. Back in my early to late 20's while stationed in NC, I did 5 a year, and consumed maybe three myself, the others would be for a cookout for my squad, and sometimes the whole platoon would participate and more deer would be consumed.

Bone Collector

I have never even tried to kill 3 in a day. I have had the opportunity but the HE// with all that work. :D

I think you said you could kill 129.... in unit L you can do 3 per day from start till close. Deer season is around 107 days, it is like 321 per year. No one will do it and I doubt anyone will ever try.

Last edited:

Hunter 257W

One time I could have killed 3. I had already killed a buck a few days before that weighed almost 190 lbs so had enough meat really. But I was set up watching a food plot along some woods when I spotted some does right up against the fence by the woods back in the shadows at about 200 yards. I took the shot and they took off running. I knew that I'd hit th one I shot at so was just sitting there waiting a bit before getting up when one of them ran out of the woods into the open about 300 yards out. I'd never shot a deer that far away before and wanted to do it so I took the shot and from the reaction knew I'd hit it. This was the same pasture I'd used to do my 300 and 350 yard sighting in a few days before so I knew the ranges and rifle's point of impact perfectly. Well, the 3rd deer came out just about a minute after the 2nd one ran into the woods and stood right on the 300 yard mark. I was tempted but then the amount of work involved with 3 deer registered on my pea brain and I told my trigger finger to cool off. :)

Headhunter

I have killed 3 mature does (I say mature does because I always try to wait for a family group to walk by and shoot the momma doe and leave the rest alone, especially if there is a button buck) in one hunt many times, with bow, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader. It is not difficult or hard to process them, unless you have a long drag to get them out. Other than that, it is actually easier to me. Instead processing one deer at a time, I would much rather take care of 2 or 3 at a time (or as many as 6, I have killed 6 in one hunt helping to cull does and believe it or not, not that bad), but one deer at a time is more work to me than multiple deer.

Attachments

• 3 in one morning.jpg
    3 in one morning.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 26 nosler does 1.jpg
    26 nosler does 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126

catman529

If people shot more does, the limit wouldn't be so high. We can have a ridiculous bag limit like that because most people let the does walk. It's more of an opportunity for herd management than anything. Some areas have very high populations, some don't. Most deer I've killed in one season was 15, and that was hunting hard from September to January on multiple private and public properties across multiple counties. I don't shoot every deer I see, but I do have an itchy finger when it comes to fat nanny does.

catman529

I have never even tried to kill 3 in a day. I have had the opportunity but the HE// with all that work. :D

I think you said you could kill 129.... in unit L you can do 3 per day from start till close. Deer season is around 107 days, it is like 321 per year. No one will do it and I doubt anyone will ever try.
I've stopped at 2 more than once because of the work ahead, lol. But one time I shot 3 in their bed 50 yards from the boat, that was one of the easiest drags and I donated two to HFTH and butchered the oldest one at home. Doesn't work out like that very often

Eddie A

I've stopped at 2 more than once because of the work ahead, lol. But one time I shot 3 in their bed 50 yards from the boat, that was one of the easiest drags and I donated two to HFTH and butchered the oldest one at home. Doesn't work out like that very often
Ive watched that video numerous times. That ole nanny was funny looking.

redblood

I can easily see 60 to 100 a day out the window of my house......i killed one. The vast majority of hunters will only kill a few if any each yr. i will only shoot one with a bow now, if there isnt a fawn in sight and its really cold out (so i can hang it up)

rem270

I donate some to hfth
I have about 16-18 processed in Nashville @ flowers for friends and family
I donate a few to local church in Nashville to feed poor and homeless

I could kill a 100 and find places for the meat

oh I keep a few small ones ..... private stock
They eat so good
You could kill more deer than anyone in TN or on this site hands down! your 20+ a year is taking it easy on them. Plus you're trying to kill one in every county of TN. If you just stopped that (which you better not) would put you in the 40 or 50 range easily per year.

Latest posts